Other Resources My Cup of Joe » you guys all rock Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-02 8:42 PM

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Subject: you guys all rock
I just wanted to thank you all for reminding me of the things I should know. I decided to tri because I wanted achallenge and because I desperately want to get fit...I just have to remember that it won't happen overnight like the t.v. says.
I also wanted to give props to Michael for the latest article. Today on my walk/run I was at walking 10, running 10, walking 10. I can't remember when the last time was I ever ran for 10 minutes. Around minute 7 I really wanted to walk, I kept thinking about Michaels article and being tough mentally, not letting yourself give up. I was so psyched that when I looked at my watch my ten minutes of running were over, and I didn't want to stop...but I did because the training log and my training for ordinary mortals book told me to take it slow and my resources are smarter than I am in that aspect. I really feel great. Thank you to all!!!!

2003-12-02 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2235

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: you guys all rock

let us know what the doc says tomorrow...must have been ok if 10minutes flew by!

2003-12-03 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Great job! Something we always say in BFL is "You didn't get fat overnight and you won't lose it overnight!". Progress is what you strive for and sounds like you are making progress! Also, don't stress when you aren't perfect, we all make mistakes and have bad days, just move on to the next day!

Be sure to not push yourself on every run. Most of your runs should be moderate and enjoyable. If you push hard everytime, you will get burned out and it's not good for your body. A common practice is 1 or 2 moderate runs, one more intense (not race intense though) such as speedwork, tempo, fartlek, etc and a long run on the weekend. The long run is relative to you. Just start out going a little bit longer, but at a very slow pace. It's to build up some endurance. And don't be afraid to take walk breaks as you progress. I still take them in most of my training runs and in my half marathon probably at least half the people took walk breaks. But you have to take them at planned intervals from the beginning. If you wait til your tired, it's too late.

Again great job and keep up the progress, but don't over do it. There's no hurry :-)
2003-12-03 9:51 AM

La Crosse, Wisconsin
So I went to the doc this morning and apparently I stressed or slightly pulled my soleius (sp?) muscle on my right leg. First she scolded me about my shoes, I already knew they were old and that I needed new ones so no big surprise. Since the UW-La Crosse campus has a strong PT program we have really good therapists and interns on campus, and its free...so I will be getting ultrasound everyday for a week then a reevaluation. My leg didn't hurt as bad as it had when I went in, even after the 10 min run. The intern said that was a good sign and that it was healing, then suggested the ultrasound, ice massage (which I knew about because of all of you), and rest if the pain starts. Oh, I also learned that I overpronate, so it's new shoes and insoles coming right up. Thanks for all your help and support.

Edited by stina76 2003-12-03 9:54 AM
2003-12-03 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2249

User image

Champion
Gold member

OHHHH!!!!  THE HORROR!!!!

used or bogus run shoes gets another victim...  

at least it sounds like u will be recovering quick   AND great job on going to the doc fairly quick!  at least for me, and most other guys, i believe, we try to act like all is ok and will get better until our leg ends up falling off

let us know how that shoe fitting goes and what u got!

2003-12-04 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Good luck with your recovery. Let us know how it's going! And get proper shoes :-O Go to a running store, don't just ask the person at a regular shoe store.

2003-12-07 4:15 PM

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Here's the update.
Leg feels much better, no pain after running at all.
10 minute run...no problem, I didn't even have to push myself to do it today BUT, Tuesday is a 12 minute run, we'll see how that goes.
NEW SHOES. Since there is no good running store in La Crosse and I didn't have time to run to Madison or MInneapolis I used Runner's Worlds shoefinder on the web. I wrote down the recommended shoes then hit the shoe stores, I wore my new Asic GT 2080's on my run/walk today and my feet and legs feel great!
Hope everyones holidays are going well
P.S. Just finished Michael's book, I highly recommend it to anyone.
2003-12-08 6:07 AM
in reply to: #2367

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Glad to hear your're doing better and back at it! Keep it up and progress slowly!
2003-12-30 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Hey - Great news on the doc's report. Maybe a new thread huh? GET GOOD SHOES!!! We could all fess up to running in cross trainers, old sneaks or whatever and give testimony to why kissing our own feet is a really good thing. I try to push things too - I am afflicted with what my wife calls, "Terminal Masculinity" - like I go to the doctor after three episode of cruching heart pain. I was one of those guys who could wake up with both arms missing and decide that going to the doctor was a bit premature.

You will get fit! Just keep your brain in that place and look moare at how far you've come instead of how far you have to go.

Courage!

M
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » you guys all rock Rss Feed