General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can a bruised hip heal in 3 days? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-02 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Subject: Can a bruised hip heal in 3 days?
Found a way to do my first wipe out 3 days before my first Olympic. Hip and head took the worst of the hit. Very thankful for the helmet.
I can walk OK, but any pressure on the hip hurts like hell. Vibration from running is quite painful.

Am I screwed? Any tricks to make it heal faster?

It only feels like a bad bruise, no major damage, so I plan on plenty of pain killers to pull through. My original Taper plan was to swim tomorrow, run Thursday and take Friday off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2013-07-03 11:30 AM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Can a bruised hip heal in 3 days?

I bike crashed a few years ago a week before a HIM.  My crash was pretty bad, no broken bones but torn cartilage in my rib cage and a giant hematoma on my hip.  Unfortunately for me, I was unable to run for about a week.  But after that week, those running vibrations to which you refer didn't bother my swollen hip at all.  And that sucker was so swollen, it took almost a year to look normal again.

Ice it, make sure to get it check out too.  The doctor that treated me said it's common to chip a piece of the hip and not even realize until much later when the thing just isn't healing.

Good luck, hope you can race and race well!

2013-07-03 4:42 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Subject: RE: Can a bruised hip heal in 3 days?
Originally posted by noelle1230

I bike crashed a few years ago a week before a HIM.  My crash was pretty bad, no broken bones but torn cartilage in my rib cage and a giant hematoma on my hip.  Unfortunately for me, I was unable to run for about a week.  But after that week, those running vibrations to which you refer didn't bother my swollen hip at all.  And that sucker was so swollen, it took almost a year to look normal again.

Ice it, make sure to get it check out too.  The doctor that treated me said it's common to chip a piece of the hip and not even realize until much later when the thing just isn't healing.

Good luck, hope you can race and race well!

Thanks for the info. Luckily I did not tear anything. I have a pretty interesting bump on the hip, but I can walk with just a bit of pain. Using Ice and Ibuprofen to bring the swelling down, as well as some cream my doctor suggested.

I figured I'll skip my running tomorrow. Probably better to try going 5 days without running then irritate the hip. I'm a back of the pack guy anyway, so even if I'm a few minutes slower, won't affect my enjoyment of the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can a bruised hip heal in 3 days? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sore hip, possible bone bruise?

Started by mtclifford
Views: 1374 Posts: 1

2009-07-28 9:47 AM mtclifford

Clicking/ popping hips and hip pain

Started by Clare44
Views: 2802 Posts: 4

2013-06-27 10:46 AM jdevito20

healing bruises

Started by chile7473
Views: 823 Posts: 3

2006-04-22 9:45 PM parrj

Healing vibes & good thoughts needed.............

Started by twinstrimom
Views: 1183 Posts: 7

2004-12-17 9:05 PM scuba-punk

Pulled muscle, how long to heal?

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 4069 Posts: 2

2004-07-27 11:19 AM tech_geezer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : December 1, 2011
author : AMSSM
Is it possible to race with bruised ribs?
date : April 14, 2010
comments : 1
I decided that, after having a new hip put in 11 months ago, I needed a new lifestyle. Just wondering if there's anything that I should know about-especially for the running and biking.

date : June 23, 2009
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?
date : May 12, 2008
During a "power yoga" session I noticed pain with hip adduction/internal rotation. Running and biking don't seem to bother it, as long as I don't push it. I still have achy pain with walking.

date : January 14, 2008
I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?
date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.

date : April 9, 2005
If I start back training too soon will I cause more damage or will I just stop the healing process? How long should it take for the muscle to heal completely?