General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you have a life outside of triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-07-08 12:43 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Do you have a life outside of triathlon?
Yes I have a life outside of Triathlon.  Fully time job, married, and 2 kids.  I am fully active in both my kids lives and sports that they play.  I have started incorporating my training into my social life.  The other day wife and kids were going over to a friends house for dinner...was about 8 miles away so I left a little bit before they did and just ran over to there house...Triathlon is a hobby to me...not a life.

2013-07-08 11:21 PM
in reply to: flossybach

User image

Regular
It is a hobby for me and I have a life outside of it and try to schedule most training before work or at lunch. On the weekends when the training gets long, it can get tough on the family.

But there are times I change things up to make family time happen. Like ride to my dad's place rather than drive the 50-60 miles it is. run over to friends house and meet my family there. Take the kids to the Y, do my swim and then go play in the water with them.

Next year, I am going to train for HIMs and plan those to vacation locations. Show up few days before the race, race, and then do family stuff the rest of the time. Logistically it will be somewhat of a challenge taking my bike along and worrying about it getting stolen but I'll figure out something to make it happen.

IM won't happen again for a couple of years until I can save up money for a family vacation somewhere nice to make it worthwhile for the family so they get something out me being gone so much for training.
2013-07-08 11:55 PM
in reply to: Flying Kiwi

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
2013-07-09 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Ah, it's all relative, isn't it?

I can give fitness a certain number of hours per week without slacking on work, home, yard, responsibilities, etc.; let's call it roughly 10 hours.  I can get quite a bit done in those 10 hours and they have made me faster, stronger, fitter, healthier and happier.

With the 10 hours, I don't feel I have to sacrifice anything other than some of my leisure time, and this just a different way to spend 10 hours of that time so it's really no sacrifice at all.  I still have enough leisure time beyond that to do other things like socialize, be with family, pursue other non-fitness hobbies, etc.

Also, the 10 fitness hours are not always dedicated to s/b/r because I love to teach group fitness, weight train, rock climb.  So it's fair to say that I don't even let triathlon take over the fitness aspect of my life, let alone my WHOLE life.

I would hope to never allow a hobby that is supposed to be for fun to take over and rule my lifestyle.  I already have a job that sometimes takes up more time and mental real estate than I would like; but that helps to pay the bills so it's not going anywhere for now.

I'm never going to be an elite athlete so why sacrifice anything at all in order to go from an average finisher to.....well, an average finisher.

2013-07-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
My workouts are my first stress reliever, to be honest. My sales job can get to me at times, so I really look forward to getting out on the road for a run or a ride. I can almost say I look forward to getting in the pool even! Whatever is eating at me just falls away when I am out there. It's great therapy. I of course have multiple friends who do them, so we spend time talking about them. I generally train by myself, but on occasion, I do work out with others.

I know very well that I have choices on how to prioritize things. I have a boat on which I spend almost every weekend from mid May through early September. I go there before and after my weekend races. I have a waverunner that I like to bring out as well. Every weekend involves hanging out with my boating friends (almost none of whom are triathletes). I am an avid reader as well as, I must confess, a comic book collector. I follow sports with a passion, especially baseball and college football and basketball. I attend numerous sporting events every year. I only have a few television series that I watch (thank you DVR), but I have picked up some new ones while on the trainer in the winter months. I hit the golf course while I can, but I don't do so as much anymore. I'm still a bit of a video gamer, as well, but that tends to go in shifts with my reading (I'll OD on one for a month or two and then switch to the other).

I do want to make a point, though, to those who say they aren't much in to socializing. Socializing can take lots of forms, *including* our interactions on sites like this. It may be harder to find those with the same interests in person, so we often substitute message boards for in person socialization. It is still socializing, just without the drink in hand (usually). I've found that in the last year I've spend increasing amounts of time interacting on both this site as well as a sports site related to my alma mater.

I guess what it comes down to is that I feel I do have a life outside of triathlon, but I don't look at it that way. I'm never going to be a pro, nor even a high level AG'er, but I just *enjoy* doing it, both training and racing. I want to improve. Therefore I do it and I back other things off for a while...same thing I do when I get focused on learning about a certain subject.

And yes, quite obviously, I am single...
2013-07-09 11:18 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
All about balance and time management my friend. My plate is full but the only way I am successful is to be well managed with my time and my selection of how I spend my time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you have a life outside of triathlon? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Outside Magazine's Erin Beresini on Triathlon Swim Deaths.

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 3748 Posts: 20

2011-10-11 5:17 PM Tom Demerly.

having children and triathlons Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kevmk81
Views: 4495 Posts: 51

2013-07-23 5:47 AM mmrocker13

Hobbies Outside Of Triathlon? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by supa-powa
Views: 4881 Posts: 92

2009-03-09 11:38 AM skarl

Triathlon is a bit like having three kids

Started by mike9521
Views: 1535 Posts: 13

2007-01-17 5:53 PM hutsomania

Having triathlon dreams....

Started by boodah
Views: 1162 Posts: 7

2005-04-18 8:38 PM maddog62
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.
date : April 17, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 5
I was humbled last year. My body shut down on me just before two World Championship events. I was originally in top form to medal in both, but my strength was sapped from me.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Sometimes life just isn’t fair! We all have situations come up from time to time that test our dedication to triathlon training.
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.