General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noticing some really common beginner-intermediate swim errors in the pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-11 7:22 PM

Subject: Noticing some really common beginner-intermediate swim errors in the pool
First, I'm NOT a fish. Not even close! At best chasing the FOMOP in a tri swim. So my advice could def be wrong, take with a grain of salt! I am, however an adult-onset swimmer so I don't take anything for granted, as I started at 2:30+pace/100yds, and have worked my way down to 1:35-7 T-pace over a few years of not high volume swimming.

I've been trying to increase swim volume lately to improve my weak area, so I've been swimming in a lot of different pools (scheduling) and seeing lots and lots of other beginner and intermediate swimmers. (I'm NOT referring to good or competitive swimmers here who are usually sub 1:30 pace- I'm talking mostly 1:50+/100yd pace beginner-intermediate swimmers, who are the VAST majority of the swimmers in the pools I'm at.)

Just a few likely errors I really notice that almost everyone does between 1:50-2:20pace:

- LOTS of extraneous body motion that almost surely isn't adding to propulsion. I honestly think this is the biggest speed killer for people in this speed range. We're talking bobbing of the head, wobbling of the torso, over-rotation, etc. I'm not uber-smooth myself, but at least for me, it does seem that work with an ankle band to minimize all extra motion helped me a lot to really cut out all the extra bobbing motions. Also doing one-arm stroke drills focusing on ZERO extra body motions seemed to help me, FWIW.

- Errant kicks. Lots of kicks that at some point have the leg reaching nearly 90 degrees of bend, which is a no-no even if briefly. I'm also sure a lot of these errant kicks are due to imbalanced pulls, which would be really exposed if you eliminated the kick completely (like with a ankle band+buoy).

- Big-time dropped elbows. I'm sure I'm just as guilty of this as the next, but there are different degrees of badness, and when I see the person in the next lane doing 1.5x the turnover rate I'm doing, but going a lot slower, you can't help but really notice how dropped that elbow is for them.

I've been seeing these 3 things so regularly that I'd say that there's a 100% chance that you're doing at least 2/3 of above if you were one of the 1:50+ paced swimmers I'm seeing at all the local pools. (I go to 4 different ones due to variable workplace.)

Edited by yazmaster 2013-07-11 7:31 PM

2013-07-11 8:14 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: Noticing some really common beginner-intermediate swim errors in the pool

Great observations. A combination of your #1 & #2 is scissors kicking as a result of crossing over with your leading arm. A great deal of drag is created. Personally I am always working on it myself.

The other one I have to constantly think about is dropping my elbows, but more as a result of pulling with my arm too straight. I think what you are describing is when lead with your elbows during the pull. Both are big problems for many people. If I ever perfect my catch I'll quit swimming, but there is no risk of that happening.

2013-07-11 11:34 PM
in reply to: E=H2O

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Noticing some really common beginner-intermediate swim errors in the pool
Originally posted by E=H2O

Great observations. A combination of your #1 & #2 is scissors kicking as a result of crossing over with your leading arm. A great deal of drag is created. Personally I am always working on it myself.

The other one I have to constantly think about is dropping my elbows, but more as a result of pulling with my arm too straight. I think what you are describing is when lead with your elbows during the pull. Both are big problems for many people. If I ever perfect my catch I'll quit swimming, but there is no risk of that happening.

That video you started another thread about might be a great visual for the elbow positioning being talked about. Both in how far to extend and what might happen in the pull. It made a difference at masters tonight as I realized I was losing that feel in the extension.

And for the other points, it's really shocking how much we actually move around even though it might not feel like that much, or even nothing at all.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noticing some really common beginner-intermediate swim errors in the pool Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming - Seeing Where I'm Going

Started by Velroc
Views: 712 Posts: 4

2008-08-17 5:09 AM AdventureBear

bike lots = win, swim lots = ?? Pages: 1 2

Started by danCC
Views: 2718 Posts: 30

2007-05-28 5:48 PM Focker out!

After first lab in swimming pool, I'm Done !

Started by PeanutJelly
Views: 1304 Posts: 12

2006-10-18 4:08 PM DerekL

Really dumb swimming/pool question

Started by kandicemcdonald
Views: 1295 Posts: 8

2005-11-02 7:28 PM piggpen35

Practiced my first open water swim and I'm really disappointed Pages: 1 2

Started by tgholland
Views: 3134 Posts: 27

2007-06-25 5:44 PM aggiecatcher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : March 9, 2007
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.