General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've begun to hate running...HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-19 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
Subject: I've begun to hate running...HELP!
Everything was going great a few weeks ago. Running...swimming...biking... It was all bliss.

I still love to swim. I set personal records each time I hit the lake. My bike ride wasn't that great yesterday, but I think it's due to the humidity. I still love to get on my bike...

However, for some reason now, I HATE RUNNING! I didn't want to run this morning, although I made myself do it. I skipped Monday's run, (and Saturday's), but that's partly due to the fact that there were heat advisories in this area.

Maybe it's the humidity...maybe it's because running isn't swimming... I don't know. I only have two courses I run, so maybe I need to change those up. One is all hills, and the other is mostly hills.

HELP ME!!! I want to love running again!

2006-07-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: #487165

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: I've begun to hate running...HELP!
Sounds like you do need to mix it up a bit. Find some new courses or run the two you have backward--as in, in reverse.

Get out there, take it easy for a bit, and enjoy!

Edited by CptnJackSparrow 2006-07-19 12:16 PM
2006-07-19 12:16 PM

Veteran
silverton oregon

What about running in water with all the heat advisories going on?  I agree with you about needing to shake things up a bit.  I get real tired real fast of the same old thing.  I have to shake it up all the time. 

2006-07-19 12:17 PM

Apple Valley, MN
Running is still new to me, and I didn't like it at all until I found a fantastic route near my office. This one goes along the river, across a regular bridge, a couple of train bridges, an old stone bridge, has paths on two islands (not as exotic as it sounds), goes past a small lighthouse and a lock and dam. After the first run there, I suddenly enjoyed running.
2006-07-19 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

I hear you. I've been struggling with running this entire summer. I've used the heat as my excuse alot, now I get up at 5:45 to run in the morning, or I'll run on the treadmill at the gym. My husband runs later in the evening to avoid it. If it's the route that bores you-run it backwards. I did that, and it's true, it's like a whole new course. Any parks with trails in the area? Try a trail run. You really have to pay attention, and that makes it go by faster. Go to the high school track. Then you can get a flat run in.

And the number one thing I've found to make running easier-consistency. It has to be done 3+ times a week.

Good Luck.

2006-07-19 12:39 PM
in reply to: #487185

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
I hear you. Running has always been my least favorite part.

Definitely change up both your route and your time of day. I have been running in the late evening (8PM) recently to avoid much of the heat outside, and cycling in the early morning (6:30AM) for the same reason.

I alos found myself in a rut due to a lack of different running courses, and have switched it up some. Anything that you can do to keep it fresh can help!

Hope you blast out of the rut! (I'm sure that you will!)

2006-07-19 12:55 PM

User image

Master
CT
Been feeling the same way lately—dreading the runs and not feeling good when I do finally get out the door to do them.

I had a good base of 15-20 miles per week through the spring, but have recently been struggling to just get 10 in. I had planned on ramping up to 25-30 by now and I just can't find the energy to make it happen.

I am sure this is due to more bike and swim time plus the heat and too much work stress.

I did finally get a quality 7 miler in the other day which made me feel better.

Hang in— it will come around again. : )
2006-07-19 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

Changing your course will definitely help. I've also found I like to run when it's dark, but not too late. I know, I'm a girl, I should be in the kitchen (reference to previous posts this week). Just breaking your current route habits should help. Maybe run in a new neighborhood or run along the shore of the lake where you swim. Or maybe you should get somebody to chase you (or run with you).

2006-07-19 1:02 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Relax don't fret... it happens to almost everyone. At some point over the year you'll like one sport more over the other 2, you might like all 3, or you might hate training all together. It happens often, in particular as we train in cycles.  Just take a breather and get back at it. You could skip a few runs, reduce the time and intensity and run easy or just get rid of the watch/HR monitor, forget about training structure and go out there and have a fun run. (pick your favorite running route, pick a new one and/or bring you fav music with you) It might remind you why you like it in the 1st place  

2006-07-19 2:21 PM

User image

Expert

I have to agree with everyone about changing up your route. I'm fortunate that near my house I have a choice of country roads, and a lot of very quiet residential roads. I rarely run the same route, and usuallly just make it up as I go which keeps it interesting.

Also, I don't know how much you are running, but for me, I find the first mile or 10 minutes or so by far the hardest. Sometimes I'm even saying to myself, "what in the world am I doing, why don't I just go home and go back to bed". But then I get past that feeling and get into a good groove, and start feeling good. Then, the last mile is the best; not because I'm almost done, but because I realize how good I feel, and how fit and healthy I am. Not nearly as fit as most BTer's, but way fitter than your average 48 year old man.

And by the way, don't worry, it will come back to you.

2006-07-19 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
You guys are wonderful!

I'm desperately looking for a new running route, but the problem is that everything near my place is hilly...and I'm so tired of hills!

Maybe I'll try an old route from a few years ago, It means I have to drive, but that's not so bad, is it? It's a beautiful road...lots of trees, open prairies, wildlife, butterflies...and it's FLAT for a change!!!

Oh, yes...don't worry about my time in the kitchen. I live in a house with seven girls (six roommates, other than me), so time in the kitchen is essential. If a cop pulls me over, I'll show him where I live and tell him that we have kitchen duty in "shifts"!

2006-07-19 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
I love trail runs. If you have access to any place where you can run the trails give that a try. It generally makes for more interesting scenery and provides constant shade.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've begun to hate running...HELP! Rss Feed