OptionResults
Guilty3 Votes - [10.71%]
Not Guilty22 Votes - [78.57%]
Hung Jury3 Votes - [10.71%]

2013-07-15 5:05 PM
in reply to: powerman

Oklahoma City, OK
Subject: RE: Zimmerman Trial Predictions
I wonder if more details concerning GZ & TM background will be allowed in a civil case? Will the jury be told about GZ's previous brush with the law (assault on a plainclothes officer) and the photos on TM's phone (guns, stolen goods, drugs), getting kicked out of school for fighting/drugs and FB posts looking for codeine? Do these details about the past of each speak to the motives or intent of either?

I felt a little naive when I thought TM bought Skittles & Iced Tea as a snack; only to learn it was Skittles and Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice cocktail. Supposedly that's two of the three ingredients in a concoction known as "Lean" or "Purple Drank". The third item needed is codeine based cough syrup.
While autopsy did reveal the presence of weed, did they test for the presence of codeine? Would any of these details about either influence a jury?

Again, none of these details is the reason for the confrontation, but does give a more full picture of the individuals involved and the potential mindset of each.

Tell me what you've done...I'll tell you what you'll do.

2013-07-15 5:53 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by TriRSquared
Originally posted by TriRSquared
Originally posted by crusevegas

It's not all conjecture. You made the assertion that Zimmerman initiated the confrontation and I don't know how you came to that conclusion. .

Last thing I'll say, just for clarity's sake: I don't mean he initiated the face to face confrontation that resulted in the fight, because no one knows for sure, although I suspect he probably did. I mean that the encounter between TM and Z that night was Zimmerman's doing. He spotted TM and decided to follow him, and that decision of his is what led to everything else. Had he not done so, none of this would have happened. Personally, I think that it's more likely that Zimmerman initiated the fight, either by trying to grab Martin or by confronting him and "stepping to him" giving Martin the sense that he was about to be attacked, but that's neither here nor there because it's conjecture. But what's not in dispute is that Zimmerman started the chain of events that led to Martin's death as soon as he decided he was up to no good and decided to follow him. One can argue whether Martin's choices once the ball started rolling may have contributed to the eventual result, but the initial step that led Martin and Zimmerman towards each other was Zimmerman's and his alone.

However there is nothing illegal about this.  Zimmerman was 100% within his rights to follow, approach and even speak with Martin.  What happened after that is all conjecture and hearsay.

Should Zimmerman have stayed in the car?  Probably.  But you cannot convict him on this.

The thing that really disgusts me is how the black communities all over the US are reacting to this.  A White/Hispanic guy is acquitted of shooting a black kid in Florida you say...?

Well then naturally black people in Oakland should spray paint "Kill PIGS" on the walls and smash in windows...

I never said he did anything illegal. I said that he started the chain of events that led to Martin's death. I think there's a certain amount of revisionist history being depicted pointing to things that Martin did or may have done that contributed to his getting shot, and while some of that may or may not be true, the person that started the ball rolling was Zimmerman. Whatever happened after that point, right up until Martin was killed, would never have happened had Zimmerman not decided to follow him for what, in retrospect, are pretty sketchy reasons, at least in my opinion. Regarding paragraph #2, I think one should always be cautious about taking the behavior of some individuals or even groups and suggesting, or in your case, saying outright, that it represents the behavior of a community as a whole. I think the overwhelming majority of the black community, while understandably upset, is confining their protests within the law.

First of all my sarcasm font did not come thru...

Secondly, I did not say all black communities were acting this way.  However the people who are acting this way are predominately in black communities.

Understandably upset?  Am I, as a white guy supposed to be upset if a black man is acquitted of shooting a white guy?  I do not care what color their skin is. 

There is nothing "understandably" about the actions in, for example, Oakland.  These people are out of line and taking this case as an excuse to act out.

You said, "The thing that really disgusts me is how the black communities all over the US are reacting to this." Now, you may not have meant "all black communities" or "all people within those black communities", but what you said was, "the thing that disgusts me is how the black communities all over the US are reacting", with no qualification of any kind to suggest that you meant anything other than "all black communities, and everyone in them". Which I why I suggested that one should be cautious whenever one talks about the behavior of individuals within a larger group. Regarding your second statement, people have a right to be upset about what they perceive as injustice. Both Casey Anthony and OJ (as well as Kobe Bryant, though it wasn't a murder trial) were aquitted in court, just as ZImmerman was, but that certainly didn't prevent a lot of people from being very upset about the verdicts. I never said they were right to act out--they aren't, only that they have a right to be upset about a verdict that a lot of people, black and while, feel is controversial.

Word placement is an interesting thing... I said black communities ALL over the US (describing geography), not ALL black communities in the US (describing the communities).  I meant what I said. You are the one reading into it.

2013-07-15 8:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Nm

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2013-07-15 8:29 PM
2013-07-16 9:13 AM

User image

They finally released jury pictures:

2013-07-16 11:20 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Originally posted by DanielG

They finally released jury pictures:

That explains everything. What's for lunch?
2013-07-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I think the lesson to take away here is to not try to be a tough guy, both parties may/may not have been guilty of trying to be a tough guy in this case and one ended up dead because of it. 

I rode the STP this past weekend. There are 12k people in this ride so tons of cyclists on the road, for the most part drivers and bikes got along around me. But in once case they did not. 

There was a group of 20 of us or so at a stop light, 2 abreast on the shoulder not blocking the lane. Some a-hole in a truck revved his engine repeatedly as he went by us and approached the light. He then leaned out the window and started yelling at a lady behind me. Used many expletives and said some things that no one should say to anyone let alone a woman. He then says "don't make me get out of this truck". My first instinct was to say go right ahead and get out and see how that goes for you. Sure we were tired but there were 20 of us and 2 of them. 

But before I spoke, I thought. Hmmmm, redneck in a truck, appears he could be drunk, is obviously a d-bag, we are in rural Oregon, good chances he has a gun. So what if he yelled, I yelled back, he got out of the truck and threw a punch? He would obviously get beat badly at which point he pulls a gun and kills someone. 

Now imagine he is yelling, I yell back, he gets out and I throw down my bike, run toward him and start beating the heck out of him, he realizes he is outmatched and starts shooting. Yes he started the ball rolling by yelling. But I started the criminal activity by throwing punches. 

So anyway, I chose to not say anything as did everyone else, he went on with his pathetic life and we enjoyed our ride. 

Point is he was in the wrong but that does not give me the right to start beating on him. Same thing in this case. Following someone, yelling at them, talking to them, heck even racial or gender slurs are not legal cause for turning and laying down a beating on someone. 

We don't have all the facts the jury had but my guess is TM decided he was going to be a tough guy and instead of ignoring GZ and going home he decided to escalate things to a criminal situation and he got the short end of the stick. There was no criminal situation until someone threw a punch or brandished a weapon. Apparently from what the jury heard they think it was TM who threw the punch and started the criminal activity. 

I have a CWP and I assume everyone else does too. If you assume everyone is armed, the desire to prove how tough you are in a fist fight goes out the window pretty quick. 

2013-07-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.....

2013-07-16 3:00 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I think the lesson to take away here is to not try to be a tough guy 

That pretty much sums it up. I've avoided a lot of situations where I was very confident I would come out on top but the consequences have never been worth it. Once people are mature enough to realize that, the better off we all are.

2013-07-17 6:12 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by DanielG They finally released jury pictures:

OK, that made me laugh.

2013-07-17 6:37 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Originally posted by bradleyd3

Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.....

That and don't mix skittles, Arizona Watermelon drink and Robitussin over extended periods of time. It shows up should you ever have cause to have an autopsy.

2013-07-18 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
Honest question for those who feel that justice was not properly served in this case: Is an investigation into whether or not Trayvon Martin's civili rights were violated warranted? Do you want the DOJ to pursue this further? Do you feel they have a right to? To what end should this be seen through?

2013-07-18 12:31 PM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Its Only Money

Honest question for those who feel that justice was not properly served in this case: Is an investigation into whether or not Trayvon Martin's civili rights were violated warranted? Do you want the DOJ to pursue this further? Do you feel they have a right to? To what end should this be seen through?

I'm deeply conflicted about this case. Having said that, I'm satisfied that the verdict was rendered fairly in that the prosecution failed to present a convincing case for murder II.

I'm usually not a fan of civil rights investigations, and I'm not in this case either. It feels too much like double-jeopardy to me and it usually seems to happen in cases where the normal legal process results in a verdict that is politically unpopular.

Zimmerman followed Martin because the latter was young and black; I don' think that can be disputed. And so, to the extent that Z's decision to follow him was ultimately what started the chain of events that led to Martin's death, it's fair to say that if Martin had been white, he'd probably still be alive. I don't know whether that on its own constitutes a civil rights violation, though.
2013-07-18 12:32 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
The "civil rights violations" will be as much of a circus trial as the criminal trial was. Govt has nothing, but they're damn sure gonna throw some $h!t at the wall and see if anything sticks.

Edited by bcart1991 2013-07-18 12:32 PM
2013-07-18 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland

Originally posted by Its Only Money

I'm deeply conflicted about this case. Having said that, I'm satisfied that the verdict was rendered fairly in that the prosecution failed to present a convincing case for murder II.

I'm usually not a fan of civil rights investigations, and I'm not in this case either. It feels too much like double-jeopardy to me and it usually seems to happen in cases where the normal legal process results in a verdict that is politically unpopular.

Zimmerman followed Martin because the latter was young and black; I don' think that can be disputed. And so, to the extent that Z's decision to follow him was ultimately what started the chain of events that led to Martin's death, it's fair to say that if Martin had been white, he'd probably still be alive. I don't know whether that on its own constitutes a civil rights violation, though.

I followed the trial pretty closely and agree that Zimmerman followed him because he was a young black man. What I don't agree with is that he was racially profiling Martin. Martin fit the description of suspects associated with burglaries in the area. To that extent Zimmernan was criminally profiling Martin.

I believe further investigation would show that Zimmerman didn't have anything in his past that would point to this incident being racially motivated. As a matter of fact, I've heard that in the past he had actually mentored young black men.
2013-07-19 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Under Florida's 'Stand Your Ground' Law, Black and White Defendants Fare Equally Well

http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/19/under-floridas-stand-your-ground-law-bla

Edited by TriRSquared 2013-07-19 3:54 PM
2013-07-19 10:46 PM

User image

Pro

During just the 16 hours the Zimmerman jury was deliberating, four black kids in Chicago, ages 17 down to 9, were killed by other black men, in four separate shootings.  Not a word about it in the national media....in fact, it seems like no one cares at all about young black men/boys being killed unless they are killed by someone from another ethnic background.

I'll say this.....if people like Sharpton and Jackson weren't so busy keeping racism alive in this country for their own benefit we might actually be able to gain some ground on the problem of nearly an entire generation of young black men being killed.

I'm sick of those two azzholes, and anyone else like them who thinks race baiting is a solution to racism.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-19 10:47 PM

2013-07-19 11:02 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Left Brain

During just the 16 hours the Zimmerman jury was deliberating, four black kids in Chicago, ages 17 down to 9, were killed by other black men, in four separate shootings.  Not a word about it in the national media....in fact, it seems like no one cares at all about young black men/boys being killed unless they are killed by someone from another ethnic background.

I'll say this.....if people like Sharpton and Jackson weren't so busy keeping racism alive in this country for their own benefit we might actually be able to gain some ground on the problem of nearly an entire generation of young black men being killed.

I'm sick of those two azzholes, and anyone else like them who thinks race baiting is a solution to racism.

AMEN! Over the 4th of July weekend Chicago had 81 shootings and 10 deaths. All young black men but like you said nothing mentioned in the national media because it was other blacks killing them over drugs and gangs.
2013-07-19 11:02 PM

User image

Pro
Double post.

Edited by Iowaman 2013-07-19 11:03 PM
2013-07-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: Iowaman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Breaking news: George Zimmerman just changed his name to Ben Ghazi so the media and white house will never mention his name again. ;-)
2013-07-20 11:23 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Originally posted by tuwood Breaking news: George Zimmerman just changed his name to Ben Ghazi so the media and white house will never mention his name again. ;-)

SNAP!

2013-07-22 10:24 AM
in reply to: Sooner Tri Guy

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
I think it's funny that people keep voting in the "Prediction" thread. Um, yeah, it's pretty easy to "predict" the verdict after it's in.

2013-07-22 2:24 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by zed707 I think it's funny that people keep voting in the "Prediction" thread. Um, yeah, it's pretty easy to "predict" the verdict after it's in.

Yea, but in all honesty it wasn't all that difficult to predict the verdict before it was in either. 

2013-07-23 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by zed707

I think it's funny that people keep voting in the "Prediction" thread. Um, yeah, it's pretty easy to "predict" the verdict after it's in.

I know, what a riot
2013-07-24 7:45 AM

User image

Originally posted by zed707 I think it's funny that people keep voting in the "Prediction" thread. Um, yeah, it's pretty easy to "predict" the verdict after it's in.

I want to go back and change my vote. I thought it would be a hung jury.

I like Jessie Jackson, didn't have enough faith in the jury to do the right thing. 

2013-07-24 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Originally posted by crusevegas

I want to go back and change my vote. I thought it would be a hung jury.

I like Jessie Jackson, didn't have enough faith in the jury to do the right thing. 

I think you might be missing a comma there.  Makes a big difference in what you're saying about the Reverend. 

Edited by kevin_trapp 2013-07-24 3:00 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Zimmerman Trial Predictions Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.
date : April 16, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Watch Christina Robeson, Chris Bagg, Janda Ricci-Munn and Lisbeth Kenyon battle it out at the 2008 Multisport World Expo in this 10K indoor time trial.