General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Really Dumb Bike Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-06 12:24 AM

New user

Alberta
Subject: Another Really Dumb Bike Question
My friend & I went to spin class today. After class, I was griping about my knees a bit. She said she thought I was pointing my toes down too much when I pedal & maybe that's the problem. I'm totally new to biking, but at the bike store the guy told me to pedal with toes pointed down? Thoughts?

2004-07-06 12:40 AM
in reply to: #35476

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
Subject: RE: Another Really Dumb Bike Question
Hello ABBAgirl,

I am not sure why you would ride with a toe point that does not seem to me to be an efficient pedal stroke.

I am sorry but I have to ask where in alberta are you from as you can see I am from Edmonton, it is nice to see another from this area.

Roy
2004-07-06 12:50 AM

New user

Alberta
Hi Roy. I'm in Edmonton as well. Unfortunately, I'm really a novice (as you can probably tell from my question!) so I won't be much use despite proximity....
2004-07-06 12:58 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Don't know about pointing your toes - I just put the pedal on the balls of my feet and go for it - never really thought about how my toes were pointing. If you just started spinning/riding, that is probably the issue - start slow, and gradually build your milage. My knees really hurt me when I first started, but now they do not bother me at all unless I abuse them.

Good luck,

Dennis
2004-07-06 1:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, another from here that is great well if you want to see the proper pedal stroke go down to Horlack Park and you will get to see some great Tri action this weekend.

The World Cup ITU race this coming weekend and there will be some great racers there, I am racing as well but only in the Try a Tri but racing just the same.

I have not been able to train properly and was signed up for the Olympic distance but was going to drop out since I did not feel ready and the people there said why not do the shorter distance and I thought that would be fun. so I am racing on sunday!!

Roy

2004-07-06 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Not a Dumb Bike Question
No, you do not "point" your toes while riding. The proper theoretical method to pedal is to keep the foot horizontal throughout the pedal stroke. The heel is not supposed to come up at all as it takes some amount of power away from the upstroke and every erg of power counts in cycling.

PS. There are no "dumb question", just dummies who do not ask them (questions).

2004-07-06 8:11 PM

New user

Alberta
Good for you, Roy. Good luck this weekend. What are the distances for the Try the Tri? Is it Sat. or Sun.?

Elizabeth

P.S. Are you training by yourself, or with a club? I'm doing the Swim a Tri class at Bonnie Doon with a guy named Sebastian - he seems to really know what he's doing... Oh yeah, & running with the Running Room. Unfortunately, I suck way too much at biking to join a cycle club yet....Maybe next year?
2004-07-06 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Hey Abbagirl,
I just wanted you to know that you shouldn't feel stupid about asking any question. I didn't even know how to shift gears on my bike when I got it. That's pretty bad...So, if you ever feel like your question is dumb, just know that there is another out there that probably has the same question!

2004-07-06 11:44 PM
in reply to: #35666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi ABBAgirl the distance for the race is 300 meter swim, 10km. bike and a 3km. run.

If you want a good laugh come on out, it is free to get into the park and should be quite fun.

I have been training myself if you call it that.

Do you already have a bike?

Roy

P.S. I will be the big guy coming in last
2004-07-07 3:34 PM

New user

Alberta
Subject: Roy & Dorian
It should be fun, Roy. I'm sure you'll do just fine -- is it your first time too? Yeah, I have a bike, sort of. I bought it this year (haven't cycled since I was a kid) and I didn't want to spend lots of money on a road bike until I knew if I was gonna like tri's or not, so I bought a "hybrid" -- basically a mountain bike with road tires, I think. At least it's pretty light.

Anyway, I think the weather's supposed to be good for Sunday, so hope you have a good time!

Dorian -- thanks for understanding (p.s. I STILL don't know how to shift my gears....)
2004-07-07 3:48 PM

New user

ABBAgirl,

Pointing your toes usually happens when your legs become tired and your body begins to look for other and usually less efficient ways of completing the motion, but I don't think that would hurt your knees. When I first started cycling, that was the way I rode. Try putting your pedals in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and then look off the top of your knee, you should be able to see your toes, if not your seat may be too far forward. Hope this helps.

Johnnie

2004-07-07 4:33 PM

Veteran
Colorado
ABBAgirl, My spin instructor routinely reminds the class to "keep your heels down!" so I don't know what the deal is with the advice you got from your bike store person. Can you ask your spin instructor to come and look at your position on the bike before class? My instructor always does this if requested - it could help pinpoint a problem. Best of luck!
2004-07-08 12:42 AM
in reply to: #35861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
Subject: RE: Roy & Dorian
Hi,

I have done a few sprints and 1 olympic distance.

So I have some experience but I am very slow.

I have had so much fun, I just love it.

This weekend is going to be a blast.

Roy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Really Dumb Bike Question Rss Feed