General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used Giant Rapid or new Trek Lexa SL? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-15 5:24 PM

Subject: Used Giant Rapid or new Trek Lexa SL?
Which bike is a better deal/bike for me?

-Used giant rapid bike for $600 (shimano ultegra shifters, shimano ultegra crank and bottom brake. derailleurs are both shimano. 9speed. Frame is made of aluminum.). I will offer the seller $500.

-Or a new 2013 Trek Lexa SL on sale for $999 (orig price is over $1300).

I'm a beginner triathlete. Thanks!

2013-07-15 9:53 PM
in reply to: iluvry

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Used Giant Rapid or new Trek Lexa SL?
I had a very unpleasant experience with TREK, The front hub cracked while riding in perfect conditions, and Trek didn't really care. Go with the Giant or another reliable brand such as Specialized or Cannondale.
2013-07-16 5:35 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Keep in mind that although used may look enticing, unless you have all the tools for a service and know what you're doing, you probably will start off with an overhaul, so new cables/housing, clean and lube all bearing surfaces/pivot points, new chain. If the maintenance has been less than stellar (and unfortunately this is true of the less expensive bikes since more than likely they have been owned by someone that only ride occasionally or another beginner than doesn't have the knowledge/tools), which means that you may need a new cassette and chainrings. All said and done, you can be another $2-400 into the bike quickly. Most brand new bikes comes with some kind of tune-up included, either first tune up, or first year, or something like that. If not, negotiate that into the price. The margin on bikes are fairly low, so not much the LBS can do about the price on the bike itself, but margin on accessories (shoes, helmets, etc.) is much better, so something you can get discounts on those thing. Labor is a cost that is fixed (you pay the mechanic by the hour whether he/she's working on something or not), so getting free service included is usually a win-win situation for the LBS and the buyer.
2013-07-16 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
If those were the only two bikes to pick from I would get the trek for no other reason that it is a road bike. The Giant is a hybrid and if you are interested in doing tri's I don't think you would be happy with it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used Giant Rapid or new Trek Lexa SL? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trek Lexa SL bike: compact or triple crank?

Started by iluvry
Views: 6501 Posts: 12

2013-10-03 9:04 AM Sous

Surly Pacer, or Trek Lexa SLX?

Started by Lesliefrg
Views: 2209 Posts: 4

2013-03-22 10:15 AM runswithcrazydog

trek lexa reviews?

Started by erin1621
Views: 2041 Posts: 2

2012-03-22 9:36 AM pitt83

Lower cost alternative to Trek Lexa SLX

Started by ajdferris
Views: 13647 Posts: 7

2011-07-13 11:24 PM ajdferris

Trek Lexa SLX or Madone 4.5

Started by rungirlrunn
Views: 8201 Posts: 5

2011-04-03 1:05 PM rexcoltrain
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.
date : October 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
The Quattro pedal is Crank Brothers’ formal offering for the road cycling set. The company has taken their simple but effective EggBeater design and added a low profile platform.

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.