General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood Thinners and Racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-18 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Blood Thinners and Racing
Has anyone here raced while taking a blood thinner med?

2013-07-19 9:25 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Veteran
Jupiter, FL
Subject: RE: Blood Thinners and Racing
I did for one year after having a stent. I was very, very cautious. 5 months after stopping the blood thinner a driver backed out of his driveway without looking and I went down trying to avoid him. I came down on my head and shoulder and was very lucky I was not still on the blood thinner...easily could have caused a brain bleed. Can't tell you what to do, but I probably wouldn't ride again if I had to be on the blood thinner.
2013-07-19 1:22 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've been on Coumadin (generic:Warfarin) for 12-1/2 years, since I had open heart surgery to get a mechanical aortic valve. 

Never had a problem with excessive or uncontrolled bleeding or bruising, including when crashing my bike at +20 mph. 

The term "blood thinner" is a misnomer, more correctly they're anticoagulants.  They don't literally make your blood "thinner" or less viscous, but just cause it to take longer to clot.  In my case it's to reduce the probability of clots forming on my mechanical valve and then breaking away to cause a stroke or heart attack.

I get tested every six weeks to make sure my INR stays between 2.5 -3.5.  All that means is that it takes my blood between 2.5 and 3.5 times longer to clot than "normal" blood.  It still clots just fine. 

In spite of all the old wive's tales, anticoagulants do not cause bleeding.  If you hit your head hard enough to actually cause a brain bleed, then you've got a pretty big problem whether or not you're on an anticoagulant.

Does it increase your risk when cycling?  Certainly to a degree, but it's marginal.  I've never seen a documented case where Coumadin actually was listed as contributing factor in a cycling death, say as opposed to getting splattered across the road by some rednecks in a pick-up truck.

I certainly endorse always wearing a good, well-fitting helmet, but I'd do that whether or not I was taking Coumadin.

If you're really concerned about it, then I would discuss it with a doctor or health care professional who actually understands anticoagulation therapy.  Not all do.

Good luck,

Mark

2013-07-19 4:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'll add my .02/

Been on coumadin since March 2010 due to PEs.  Lifer.  When I got the first 6 month does I decided to just ride the trainer.  Once I became a lifer, I decided that I couldn't live in a bubble, and I'd certainly hate to not ride only to slip and fall in the tub.  Undecided

It's a personal decision, my wife and I did not come to it lightly (no kids).  I ride during the week on the computrainer, but outside on the weekends.  I don't ride certain routes, or with certain people.  As Mark said, there is a marginally increased risk, but we were already at risk, so there's just some increase we have to be comfortable with.  I do 99% of the stuff I did pre coumadin, inlcluding scuba, going on roller coasters, mtn biking, haven't snowboarded again, but will, etc.

I've raced sprints, olys, 3 HIMs and doing IM Canada in 5 weeks on thinners

I have my own coagucheck machine and buy my own strips, test every two weeks or so.  I am fairly consistent at low 2s.  If needed, I make small adjustments to keep myself in the low range.

Oh, and I don't follow any dietary restrictions either.  Dose to the diet, don't diet to the dose.   Salads with spinach.  A few beers now and again.

And life goes on

Feel free to ping with any questions or ask here.  There's lots of us out there continuing to do what it is we do.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-07-19 5:00 PM
2013-07-22 8:13 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm actually on a different type of anti-coagulant called xarelto 15Mg twice a day for 3 weeks and then down to 1 20Mg pill a day. This was a result of a small/acute blood clot in my neck last week discovered during a doppler/ultrasound test. I was complaining about neck pain to my oncologist (yes...there is a battle there too) and he was immediately concerned.

I do plan on racing and my coach knows all about my medial history and treatments. I had to drop out of my 70.3 race this weeke3nd which really got me depressed last week since I felt so good and was ready to PR that bad boy. Oh well, I gotta think of the long term since I have my first IM in September and that is my "A" race.
2013-07-22 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by FurnaceM3 Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm actually on a different type of anti-coagulant called xarelto 15Mg twice a day for 3 weeks and then down to 1 20Mg pill a day. This was a result of a small/acute blood clot in my neck last week discovered during a doppler/ultrasound test. I was complaining about neck pain to my oncologist (yes...there is a battle there too) and he was immediately concerned. I do plan on racing and my coach knows all about my medial history and treatments. I had to drop out of my 70.3 race this weeke3nd which really got me depressed last week since I felt so good and was ready to PR that bad boy. Oh well, I gotta think of the long term since I have my first IM in September and that is my "A" race.

Well, no real practical difference between Xarelto and Coumadin except they work on different systems (xarelto on the blood factors, coumadin on vitamin k), and of course xarelto does away with diet restrictions and testing.   They both inhibit clotting.

I am sure you've discussed this with your doc, but the sole reason I am not considering xarelto is that at least on coumadin there is a reversal agent in the form of fresh frozen plasma or synthetic vitamin K (although as a practical matter, not sure when this is given following a bleed, and may not be instantaneous).  With xarelto, there is as of yet no known reversal agent, or antidote, although they are working on it.  Point being of course if there is an accident and internal bleeding there may not be a way to slow down the bleed with someone on xarelto.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-07-22 12:08 PM

2013-07-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

One other piece of advice I would offer would be to wear a Road ID or Medic Alert type ID bracelet that states you are on Xarelto, just in case. 

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood Thinners and Racing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone on/been on blood thinners?

Started by newleaf
Views: 1152 Posts: 6

2009-04-07 4:36 PM AndriaLL

giving blood recovery

Started by gsulee
Views: 976 Posts: 4

2005-06-23 11:20 AM Wookiee

how long after blood donation ...

Started by Micawber
Views: 2278 Posts: 4

2005-05-26 10:04 AM Micawber

Donating Blood

Started by MUL98
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2005-05-24 6:27 AM sty

Blood Pressure

Started by wher0001
Views: 1103 Posts: 11

2004-11-20 10:29 PM wher0001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 4, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Athletes with diabetes can exercise and compete at a high level. Exercise can help control blood sugars, particularly in Type 2 diabetics, but it can also worsen them if you are not in good control.

date : September 3, 2006
comments : 2
If you are one of those athletes, and the compartments don’t easily expand, the pressure within increases with exercise. This can stress the muscle as well as the nerves and blood vessels.
date : May 1, 2006
Exercise-related hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood) is a rare cause of death in endurance athletes. Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, difficulty breathing and seizure.

date : March 5, 2006
A number of vascular changes occur in the body during activity. In general, these changes are beneficial, the blood vessels dilating and constricting in order to shunt blood where our bodies need it.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.

date : May 16, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Perhaps you, too, have wondered about the role of salt, or more correctly, sodium (the part of salt associated with high blood pressure) in your diet. This article can help you figure that out.
date : September 19, 2004
author : malvey
The next time you see one of your kids or grandkids, look deep into their eyes and know that they would give anything to have you around for five, ten fifteen, or even twenty more years.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
How to motivate yourslef into habit forming triathlon training goals.