Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thanks Officer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-07-20 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Thanks Officer

oipolloi made an observation in the "Pulled over while Running" thread to the effect that cops frequently hear what people think they should have done, what they shouldn't have done,
 "where are they when you need them", etc. And 99.99% of the time, they're doing their best just to try to help people.

It's gotta wear them down.

So I thought it'd be worthwhile to have a thread where people could leave a public thanks for something a cop did for them to let them know that their work is appreciated.

I'll start:

I once came upon evidence that someone I knew was sexually assaulting a 6 yr old member of his family. I wanted to kill the guy. Seriosly kill him. It still makes me physically sick when I think of what I saw. The officers who were involved in removing him from the house and the investigation were just awesome. Totally professional. I can't imagine doing that job, hearing those stories from children every day. I'd go insane. I don't know how they do the job, but I'm glad they do.

Thanks officers. 

2006-07-20 8:26 AM
in reply to: #487916

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Thanks Officer

Thats really heartbreaking Mike. Thankfully the officers made you feel good about what what course of action was being taken.

My story (not nearly as important) though:
I got bit by a dog at a race, my fingers swelled up and there were deep scratches all over. I went to the paramedics at the race who called the cops (the offenders promptly left the scene). He took the info I had on them-went to the RD and found the racers name, his car, etc. They called with follow ups to finding the guy and getting his dog checked out. He was very professional, except when making fun of my small dog, but he made me laugh.

Anyway, it was refreshing b/c I was dreading the cop when they called for one.

2006-07-20 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Great Idea Marmadaddy!

We were camping up in WI this year, and one of our scouts forgot a very important sleeping bag. While we were out hiking the next day, we talked to a county sheriff deputy, and he gave us one of the blankets they carry for emergencies.

2006-07-20 8:59 AM

User image

Elite

Very nice thread Mike. 

I have so many stories its hard to choose, but here's a recent one.

A friend of mine, who was a cop, was trying to find a guy who had just assaulted his girlfriend and took off down the street.  As my friend was looking for him he stopped to look in a row of heavy brush when a shot rang out.  My friend fell to the ground with a bullet to his brain.  He died a few days later, but left behind all of his harvest-able organs to help several other people who needed them.

A happier tale:  I lead a group of cyclists on a hilly and rural 50 mile route.  One of the cyclists is diabetic and not very strong on the bike.  Somewhere along the line he dropped off, got lost and went into diabetic shock.  A deputy happened to drive by and see him standing along side of the road.  The cyclist told the deputy he didn't need any help (he was in shock).  The deputy recognised the symptoms the cyclist was showing and "strongly urged" him to get in the car and accept a ride to my house.  Once back he drank some juice and came out of the diabetic funk he was in.  The deputy didn't have to stop, let alone pressure him into taking a car ride back.  This most likely could have saved this guys life.  He was in the middle of nowhere when picked up. 

2006-07-20 9:08 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
first i have to get my heart back in place after reading mike's post. having two daughters...yea. makes me cry and want to kill the guy after mike is done killing him.

soooo,

we live in a pretty quiet, urban neighborhood. everything is in walking distance and folks know each other. it feels like a small town hidden in the middle of the city. last year the convenience store down the street changed management. the new owners - a corporation - had no involvement, and the manager, a young guy from chicago, ended up running the place like a party house. he was selling cigarettes to kids, bringing beer to party afterhours (with kids) in the parking lot, sold pipes and was probably also selling what goes in them. there was a huge fight in the parking lot where a half dozen guys jumped one of our neighbor girls who had been working at the store (she's a tough cookie and punched her way out of it, but still). the coffee shop, yarn store, and pizza place on our street all got robbed at least once during this period. 'gang tags' started showing up on the back of the store. people from the neighborhood stopped going to the store. our neighborhood coalition called a community meeting. nearly 80 people showed up. even the young manager showed up (which impressed everyone, even though most folks were rightly pissed at him). several officers came to the meetings and did a lot to set our minds at ease in some regards (especially about the suspected gang activity), to tell us what we could do as individuals, and to explain what they were doing and why. they were never dismissive about any of the concerns or suggestions people had (like if hanging baskets would help)...and let the manager know that he was very much on their radar. after a while, things got better. on the advice of the officers and community leader, we all wrote letters to the corp that owned the place, and big shock - they ended up selling it off to someone else who has been running it like a business. hurrah.

Edited by autumn 2006-07-20 9:09 AM
2006-07-20 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
I am still sorry that I didn't get the name of the Boston PO who helped me after I shattered my ankle. He gave me his jacket to wear since my shirt was all torn up, gave my very shook up friend a ride home, to my house to get my insurance card, and to the hospital, and called to check up on me. Way beyond the call of duty, bless him.

2006-07-20 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Great idea.  2 cases...

(1) A guy here in the office suffers from seizures if he doesn't take medication.  No one here knew that.  One morning he has a seizure and collapses in his office, banging his head on the way down.  Blood everywhere.  Raging snowstorm outside.  First officer on the scene was there FAST, and by that time our co-worker was awake and belligerent (normal post-seizure behavior apparently).  This guy and the eventual paramedics just took over and allowed us all to freak out off to the side.  As they left I was thinking...they're just going to another freaked out messed up situation like this one...and that's what they do all day long!  AWESOME.

(2) I nearly severed a finger launching a boat one time.  Those guys were awesome too.  I was a mess and they handled me physically and emotionally.

Officers, parameds, firefighters, nurses, ER folk...THANK YOU!!!

2006-07-20 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

I came back home one night from DD'ing a very late party in Boulder. I was exhausted and just couldn't wait to crawl in bed. I got home to my dogs in the backyard barking their fool heads off looked to the front of the house and saw... a freakin' car crashed into the front of my house! I peeked inside to see that no one was in there, but I could just imagine some drunk sitting on my couch waiting to settle it with me so the cops didn't have to get involved or anything. No way was I going into the house! So I went directly to the convenience store nearby, called the cops and they said they'd send someone.

Ten minutes later... here comes Officer Hot. Officer Hot explained that the accident had happened earlier, but they couldn't move the van without the owners permission and the van had to go to get the car out. No serious damage had been done to the house. I told him that I was still a little freaked out because the dogs weren't supposed to be out. He checked the house for me and didn't make me feel one bit paranoid. I asked him to snuggle, but ever the professional, he said no (I made that part up). And he was hot. HOTT. Two t's.

Thank you, Officer Hot. Thank you, Officer Hot's boss, for hiring Officer Hot. He is hot. And a good cop and all around nice guy. But mostly hot.

2006-07-20 10:18 AM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Dear Iowa Highway Patrol Officers:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being willing year after year to volunteer your time to stand out in the hot sun all day and patrol the busy intersections so that I can go on Ragbrai.  If it wasn't for you doing this, this event would cease to exist.  I try to thank every single one of you when I see you out there, taking care of us, but here's a shout to the group:

I LOVE YOU MAN!

2006-07-20 10:21 AM
in reply to: #488106

User image

molto veloce mama
yippe for officer hot! (this made me laugh so hard i almost wet my pants).
2006-07-20 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Michigan
It's nice to hear a positive story about us public servants once in awhile. Thanks for the story Marma, it's usually how we screw up not the 99% of the time where we just do our job and do some good. People that do not work in the field can not comprehend the crap we see on a regular basis. I have seen it all. From a crackhead selling their kids for sex to a couple who left their 5 and 3 year old home for two days while they searched for meth. Bottom line as civil servants we are just people like everyone else and we make mistakes. The great majority of us do a great job.

Edited by smokeater1833 2006-07-20 10:47 AM

2006-07-20 12:07 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Thanks to all the officers who stand out there on hot days and for hours directing traffic so I can enjoy my triathlon and feel safe.

Another story:

About 8 years ago, my brother was in college and went into cardiac arrest.  He was 22.  He would have died except for two things.  (1) He was living with my cousin who knew CPR, and (2) when they called 911 there was an officer on the scene within 5 minutes, who helped my cousin keep my brother alive until the paramedics could arrive.

What's a little funny is that the officer was in the middle of an undercover operation, so he looked like a reject, but otherwise he wouldn't have been able to respond so quickly.

Thank you for my brother's life.

2006-07-20 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Oh man, there are soooo many to choose from, but top of the current list:

1) A big thank you to Tampa PD for arranging and holding the annual Police Memorial Run to benefit the fallen officers fund, memorial scholarship fund, etc.
2) Likewise a thank you to Hillsborough County PD for arranging and holding the Sheriffs Ranch Run to benefit at risk juveniles.
3) A HUGE thank you to TPD, HCSO, Pinellas County PD, Orlando PD, and Reddy Creek PD for closing soooo many roads for sooo many races.
4) Thanks to the awesome Houston PD officer who didn't ticket me for driving in Houston for 2 years with a Florida license plate when my car was broken into, and for helping me sweep out the glass!
5) A HUGE thank you to TPD, HCSO, U. of South Florida PD, and the local FBI for coming over to my place and not arresting me when my bipolar neighbor claimed I was making bioweapons in my apartment.
6) And finally, near and dear to my heart, although not exactly law enforcement (I think, not sure on that one), a HUGE thank you to the park rangers at Flatwoods for replace the water in the drinking stations, putting out fires everytime there is lightning, rescuing countless fellow cyclists, walkers, joggers, etc from heat related illnesses, and kindly asking trail newbies to stay to the right so we wannabe fast people can fly by!
2006-07-20 1:24 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2006-07-20 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
I am thankful that someone started this thread.  There are people out there doing stuff for others every single day who dont get acknowlegment for all they do and sacrifice.  Reading all of these posts has really put a positive point to my day.  Thank you.
2006-07-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: #488342

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Stitch26.2 - 2006-07-20 1:24 PM

5) A HUGE thank you to TPD, HCSO, U. of South Florida PD, and the local FBI for coming over to my place and not arresting me when my bipolar neighbor claimed I was making bioweapons in my apartment.
!

this deserves a longer story.

2006-07-20 1:57 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Great, great thread. So sorry to hear about the police officer friend of yours who was killed, oipolloi. Terrible, even though many people can be grateful for his life.

First thing that comes to mind for me is a small thing, probably happens every day: when I was 17 I ran out of gas on the way home late at night. This was well before the days of cell phones, boys and girls. Managed to coast the big heavy family station wagon off the freeway. A police officer pushed my car the rest of the way to the gas station with his squad car and gave me the gentle version of the requisite lecture.

Since I've moved to hurricane country, there's something else that impresses me about our first responders. When everyone else is loading up the cars to evacuate, the folks kiss their families goodbye, send them packing, and report to work. We have a lot to be grateful for in the professionalism of our police, firefighters, and paramedics.

Great thread!

2006-07-20 2:34 PM

User image

Memphis, Tn

In response for all of the thank yous to all of the officers out there, you're welcome.Embarassed

People forget that we are human also. All of the bickering about the bad apples can bring the rest of us down. It's definately nice to see that people still appreciate what we do, and what we risk every day.

2006-07-20 2:57 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I've had some pretty terrible run-ins with the police while photographing protests and various other instances...and I realize these officers are reacting in the heat of the moment and probably outside of their normal patrol, so I don't "hate" the police at all, despite my presence/participation in protest.

As a city lifeguard, the patrolmen in our area were AWESOME. they knew the 4 pools in the sector really well, knew all us guards by name as well. We were right down the street from the barracks, and the guys had sort of a sitting patrol at the gas station across the street from my pool (basically, the hub of an area w/ lots of gang activity, homeless violence, robbery, and shoplifting). Many times, rather than calling 911, we'd just go over to the gas station, say, "hey rob, can you come toss xyz out of here for us?", and being the *rather muscular* young lads they were (hey, cmon, lifeguards need SOMETHING to look at!), often straightened out any problems we had. They were awesome backup, much better than our own regional command.

Edited by phoenixazul 2006-07-20 2:57 PM
2006-07-20 3:19 PM
in reply to: #488600

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Frank Amato - 2006-07-20 2:34 PM

In response for all of the thank yous to all of the officers out there, you're welcome.Embarassed

People forget that we are human also. All of the bickering about the bad apples can bring the rest of us down. It's definately nice to see that people still appreciate what we do, and what we risk every day.

On that note, I did have to report a police officer who was way out of line with me (I'm not going to relate the story, because it is long and exhausting, and it's not in the spirit of this thread, anyway). The chief I dealt with at the station could not have been more considerate to me. Until I talked to him the next day, I literally lost my breath at the sight of a cruiser, but that was totally gone after I talked to him. And I doubt having someone file a grievance against one of his officers was the highlight of his day. Total class act.
2006-07-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: #488342

User image

Elite

Stitch26.2 - 2006-07-20 12:24 PM  5) A HUGE thank you to TPD, HCSO, U. of South Florida PD, and the local FBI for coming over to my place and not arresting me when my bipolar neighbor claimed I was making bioweapons in my apartment. 

PhoenixAzul beat me to it.  This is too funny a story to let slip by.  Maybe a "funny neighbor" thread should be started.

2006-07-20 3:36 PM
in reply to: #488661

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Oh my goodness PhoenixAzul - your post reminds me... protesting! Yes, good police encounters while protesting...

Uh, see this "friend" of mine was at a protest last year, where a fellow protestor had a sign that was borderline obscene. Given that a certain Congresscritter was expected to be present (and the message was aimed at him), the officer asked him to turn the sign around to display the toned-down version of the message on the other side. Ok, a little grumbling, but he complied.

Well a little while later an attendee of the event being picketed decided to stand square across the street from the protestors giving the two-finger salute. So, the officers trotted over there and politely explained to HIM the ground rules about what was allowed in front of the Congresscritter, after which our sole counter-protestor grumblingly went inside. Anyway i was just happy that the police were level-headed at that one, and kept everything fair. They did a good job at that one.

2006-07-20 3:44 PM
in reply to: #488716

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
oipolloi - 2006-07-20 4:23 PM

Stitch26.2 - 2006-07-20 12:24 PM  5) A HUGE thank you to TPD, HCSO, U. of South Florida PD, and the local FBI for coming over to my place and not arresting me when my bipolar neighbor claimed I was making bioweapons in my apartment. 

PhoenixAzul beat me to it.  This is too funny a story to let slip by.  Maybe a "funny neighbor" thread should be started.

Did I also mention that the fire department, hazmat team, and bioterrorism response team were also at my house?
I haven't yet figured out a way to get the Coast Guard to stop by... hummmm...

2006-07-20 3:54 PM
in reply to: #488745

User image

Elite
Stitch26.2 - 2006-07-20 3:44 PM
oipolloi - 2006-07-20 4:23 PM

Did I also mention that the fire department, hazmat team, and bioterrorism response team were also at my house? I haven't yet figured out a way to get the Coast Guard to stop by... hummmm...

This demands its own thread!

2006-07-20 4:02 PM

User image

Pro
MA

A couple of news photos of how the police blocked the WTO protesters in Hong Kong, a week before Christmas last year.  The Korean protesters are famous for their violence.  Fortunately, they were relatively peaceful that time. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=1528&photoid=7488

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=1528&photoid=7489

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thanks Officer Rss Feed  

of 2