Cooper Fitness Center at Craig Ranch
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/55
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4a and made a standard breakfast (egg whites, oats w/almond milk and strawberries, shot of espresso, banana). Left at 5:15a, arrived 15 min after transition opened. Still plenty of time to set up in a relaxed fashion. Ate a single blueberry chocolate rice cake at 6:40 (175 cal), about 50 min before my start time (7:35a).
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 08m 37s
  • 350 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim endurance was good, but slow as hell. Was passed a number of times -- the swim start was pretty mixed up, though -- but handled the traffic well. Rather than take it personally and over-reach my current abilities, I just drafted as much as possible, found a clean place to turn/swap lanes, and tried to relax.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think there's much I could have done better in the event itself. I'm glad I started where I did, because it was nice to have full-service on course, which doesn't always happen later in the day. But I missed WAY too many swims in the last month, and I need to get serious about getting faster in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

One of my personal goals for this race was to reduce transition times significantly. Though I'm still not practiced enough with jumping on the bike or the flying dismount, I did attach the shoes to the bike, allowing me to run the bike out of transition. And I ditched the socks, too. Together these literally cut my previous race T1 time in half, which I'm very happy about. I did have a little trouble mounting the bike. Even after practicing a lot on the trainer, I kicked the right shoe loose getting on the bike, so I had to foot the shoe around to get going. It wasn't super pretty.

More practice with the mount and dismount on the bike instead of the trainer should help clear up the mount problems. I also need to work out the logistics problems with sockless running. Though I didn't run into problems with some runs at home beforehand, I ended up with nasty blisters. I need to do some research into how to handle this.
Bike
  • 35m 41s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Since I can't see my HR on my wrist easily, I just pushed hard, backing off slightly when I was panting heavily or when my legs burned badly. (Tried to maintain a slight but sustainable burn.) Slowed down a lot for the U-turns in case there was any gravel there. Downshifted twice while coasting into them, then accelerated smoothly out. Backed off a bit, too, down the long final hill into the transition entry to try and bring HR down.

In hindsight, I feel like I could have pushed a little harder here, but I'm not sure. I'm getting better about understanding and interpreting my body's signals as to performance in the current stage, but I'm still not great at predicting the impact a particular performance change will have on the next stage (swim->bike, bike->run). Need to work on learning this from my coach.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Getting out of the shoes was much easier than getting in them. Though my bike exit was slow (no flying dismount), it was smooth and effective. I ran hard through transition.

Ironically, I spent about five seconds looking down thinking "Isn't there something else I'm supposed to do?" No, there wasn't. So more practice to clear this up. I'm also going to look into a better race belt. Mine is annoyingly difficult to get attached, but at least I can do it while running out of transition.
Run
  • 25m 40s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 05s  min/km
Comments:

For the first mile, I tried to stay under 9:00/mi and settle in, but I didn't overly focus on looking at the watch. Instead, I ran what felt like the stride/cadence of yesterday's race-pace intervals and checked every now and then to assure I wasn't sliding up or down pace-wise. There were a couple of hills around the middle of the run, and I allowed myself to slow slightly on the hills if needed. I picked up the pace when it was easy on the downhill segments if comfortable. At the 2.5 mile point, I stopped thinking as much about conserving energy, and once in sight of the finish (~800m out) I opened up.

This felt like a good run for me. I wonder if I could have pushed a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked a bit. Ate my first pancake since 2009. It wasn't incredible.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If anything, I think I may need to learn to just press harder. I'm still figuring out what my body has to give, and at least some significant percentage of my performance gains come from simply learning that it's okay to hurt a bit more. That may be the case here.

Event comments:

Good food afterward. Lots of volunteers who were very friendly. Easy packet pickup. Very well organized. I feel like this was a good race for me, even having finished so low in my age group. There were just a lot of fast folks there!

Last updated: 2013-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:37 | 350 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Tri
Course: 7x50m snake, outdoor pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45.7
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:41 | 12 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Two-loop plus-shaped course with eight U-turns. About 200' of elevation change in gradual-sloping hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55.8
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:40.4 | 05 kms | 05m 05s  min/km
Course: V-shaped single loop mostly on the street, but including some rubber running track and trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-21 9:41 AM

New user

Frisco
Subject: Cooper Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cooper Sprint Triathlon

Started by ashort33
Views: 1299 Posts: 5

2013-03-26 6:32 PM dcon

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch

Started by sjdevore
Views: 1180 Posts: 1

2008-07-27 2:21 PM sjdevore

Started by firedog
Views: 1180 Posts: 1

2008-07-26 10:48 PM firedog

Started by fasttoad
Views: 1860 Posts: 7

2008-08-03 8:16 AM ajax1868

Started by jcagg90
Views: 2335 Posts: 14

2008-07-29 7:47 PM zia_cyclist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.