United States
Cooper Fitness Center at Craig Ranch
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 4s
Overall Rank = /500
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/35
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 AM, took a lukewarm shower to wake myself up. Ate toast with peanut butter, two rice cakes, a banana, Pre-race drink with a high dose of electrolytes to minimize fatigue and cramping.
Event warmup:

No pool swim warm up for me. I've always thought pool warm ups are a waste of energy only to stand on the pool deck and get even colder all over again. I warm up my upper body and arms with resistance tubing and some mild dynamic activities with light stretching. Lots of water to pre-hydrate.
Swim
  • 10m 57s
  • 383 yards
  • 02m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

As with most other Tri-athletes, the swim is/was my nemesis. Things started out well, I had a good rhythm and pace, picture perfect 150 meters. Then everything started to fall apart.My swim cap began to slip off, my goggles filled up with water, I started to rush and I never regained that relaxing comfortable zone of effortless swimming. My hard earned technique went right out of the window and I was then once again struggling in the water as I have spent many months unlearning struggle.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming, more days in the pool, more everything related to being in the water and becoming more comfortable with swim distractions. Improve my swim time and speed is my goal.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

I rocked this transition! My main focus was to get my feet as dry as possible so I could get my socks on and feet in the shoes. After that everything else was just a formality, sun glasses, then helmet., out the gates. Nickle slick!

Some difficulty running in bike shoes was the only down side.

Maybe practice mounting my bike with shoes attached to the bike, if that is even allowed, I'll have to check the rules on that one. It may vary for race to race.
Bike
  • 43m 39s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.47 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike was good, I had a little chain rub from crossing gears, but managed to smoothing things out. I laid back a bit, coasted at times to preserve my legs a bit for the run. I added a Speed-fill bottle to my aero-bars, which I recommend to anyone who has aero bars. It allowed me to consume more water and stay hydrated without leaving the aero position. And biggest advantage is that you can use another reserve bottle on the down tubes to refill on the fly.

Next time I will push a bit harder on the bike. I strategically took it easy on the bike to spare my legs for the up coming run. In my training I will practice more sprint intervals.
Transition 2
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

I don't remember why it took me so long, I think I paused a moment to collect myself, and take a bite of a power bar. Otherwise this transition went smooth I thought.

The only thing I would think of doing different was to take my shoes off as soon as I got off the bike to fun faster barefoot. Mental note for the next race.
Run
  • 32m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Initially my run started out to be a challenge. transitioning from the bike to running takes some getting used to. I tried to shorten up my stride length a bit to allow my body to relax and find my natural stride but my hamstrings were having none of that. I stopped twice and walked a fast pace to get my muscles to trust me after beating them up, which also allowed my HR to simmer down. After that I was back in stride again. The best part was when my 8 year old son ran with me to the finish-line. How awesome was that! The best race of my life......

Had it not been for the two stoppages, I would have been fine. One thing I know I can and will improve on is my speed. I am much more capable of running faster times, I think I was playing safe. Next time I will test myself a bit more and push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Taking in lots of water and cooling down, internally and over my head.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim has always been a major limiter. But mostly, I held back a little, just really allowing myself to absorb the entire experience and listening to my body. Having done that, I have a better assessment of what physical perimeters really are.

Event comments:

Overall this was an impressively well organized event. I will definitely be doing the next one this year and years to come. The only thing I would recommend the organizers do is have mile markers for the bike and run for beginners. It helps with the psyche and orientation to where you are within the course.

Otherwise, a must do event for all levels. Thanks to all of the volunteers. They never get the credit they deserve.

Last updated: 2013-03-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:57 | 383 yards | 02m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU Tri-suit
Course: 50 meter Outdoor Pool
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:39 | 12 miles | 16.47 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Good course overall, minimal low grade inclines. Well marked and directed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:51 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Course: Flat residential course. No significant hills or inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %205
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-21 4:17 PM

User image

New user

Queen Creek, Arizona
Subject: Cooper Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cooper Sprint Triathlon

Started by ccage
Views: 944 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 9:41 AM ccage

Cooper Sprint Triathlon

Started by ashort33
Views: 1300 Posts: 5

2013-03-26 6:32 PM dcon

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon at Craig Ranch

Started by firedog
Views: 1180 Posts: 1

2008-07-26 10:48 PM firedog

Started by fasttoad
Views: 1860 Posts: 7

2008-08-03 8:16 AM ajax1868

Started by jcagg90
Views: 2335 Posts: 14

2008-07-29 7:47 PM zia_cyclist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.