General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help getting company sponsorship: your ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-06 11:04 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Help getting company sponsorship: your ideas?
As you may know, money is kinda tight for me and Hubby since he doesn't have a steady job and is working on starting a biz.

I want to do a sprint tri in August but the entry fee is $75! I was thinking of asking my company to sponsor me, but I need ideas on how to pitch it. I work for Russell Corp, an athletic company, but they don't make anything really that I can wear or use during the tri.

I am a member of the women's network and they have a bit of a budget, but I need to figure out what's in it for them to sponsor me. One of the committees had talked about getting a group together to do this tri, but there's not enough time for it this year. I'm thinking I can pitch the idea in 2 ways: (1) I will try it out to see if it's worth doing next year and (2) we could get an article written about it in the company newsletter and bring attention to the women's network. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

2004-07-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: #35539

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Help getting company sponsorship: your ideas?
Wow! It sounds like you're in an ideal spot to ask for sponsorship. Companies like Russell have tons of promotional dollars they spend freely each year. It doesn't matter that they don't make triathlon clothing; they'd love to have their name prominently displayed on a jersey or tri suit during the race, or even a dry t-shirt at the post race party. The place is crawling with athletes, every one of them a potential customer. It's just name brand advertising for them. And in your case it would be cheap! You've got find the right person in the company to talk to. Heck, who knows, maybe they'd even sponsor a team. In my area here, I've noticed that Swiss Valley Farms, a dairy compnay, coughed up for great-looking tri suits with their name and logo for a bunch of first-timers who train with a local tri coach. I don't know how he got them to do it, but my guess is he just asked!! Good luck!!   
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help getting company sponsorship: your ideas? Rss Feed