Other Resources The Political Joe » Bumper sticker I saw today... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-07-22 11:42 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Bumper sticker I saw today...
Originally posted by lisac957
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by tuwood

My interpretation of it is "inner peace" and I don't think it's absolute in the sense that if you don't know Jesus you have zero chance of peace.  However, I do feel that on a whole many people do not have inner peace.  They have a void in their life that they're trying to fill without success.  

I agree with this, really well said.

Fun Fact: I owned this exact bumper sticker when I was in high school. I loved the play on words and the message really resonated with me. In fact it might still be in my childhood bedroom somewhere!

oooh! A live one :) So, Lisa, do you think one can know peace without taking Christ as their saviour?

I think there are varying degrees of "peace".
But the "peace" the bumper sticker is referring to? No. 

Could you define the "peace" on the bumper sticker for me?

No offense but I feel like I'm being baited. I've said all I want to say in this thread Innocent

Powerman, the reason Lisa feels "baited" is the reason I think the bumper sticker is problematic. It suggests that unless you take Christ as your saviour you will not "know peace". You can define peace however you want, but this is an inherent flaw in Christian faith, IMO. Buddhists, Native Americans, aetheists, Jews, etc. all have a similar capacity for "knowing peace". The assertion that only Christians "know peace" is silly.

2013-07-22 11:55 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by chirunner134 I always thought it was "No Justice No Peace."
Funny you mention it: I saw a protestor on TV demonstrating against the TM/GZ verdict and she was holding a sign that said, "Know Justice, Know Peace"

Now that is funny

2013-07-22 12:11 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
The greater wisdom is not on bumper stickers, but in attaining paradise by the dashboard lights.
2013-07-22 12:24 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite

My interpretation of it is "inner peace" and I don't think it's absolute in the sense that if you don't know Jesus you have zero chance of peace.  However, I do feel that on a whole many people do not have inner peace.  They have a void in their life that they're trying to fill without success.  

Fun Fact: I owned this exact bumper sticker when I was in high school. I loved the play on words and the message really resonated with me. In fact it might still be in my childhood bedroom somewhere!

oooh! A live one So, Lisa, do you think one can know peace without taking Christ as their saviour?

No offense but I feel like I'm being baited. I've said all I want to say in this thread Innocent

Powerman, the reason Lisa feels "baited" is the reason I think the bumper sticker is problematic. It suggests that unless you take Christ as your saviour you will not "know peace". You can define peace however you want, but this is an inherent flaw in Christian faith, IMO. Buddhists, Native Americans, aetheists, Jews, etc. all have a similar capacity for "knowing peace". The assertion that only Christians "know peace" is silly.

Well if you want to argue religion and use it as a division then ya... that is a perfectly reasonable "interpretation".

If you just take it for what it is, you could see a person that achieved some peace through Jesus. That before in his/her life it was one way and now it is another.

And Lisa feels baited because it is pretty much what it is. Religion is nothing more than a fellowship of people with a common belief. That fellowship being made of people is capable of everything people are capable of... control, division, condemnation, and superiority... as well as unity, forgiveness, compassion, love, and even peace.

People use religion for what ever suits them at the time... just like using this bumper sticker as topic for yet another rehash of a 5000 year old argument...

We could take the bumper sticker as a subject of how to find peace... and then we could share our experience of how we have done that in our life and perhaps find some unity and common ground on this strange trip we are on...

But that is probably asking too much... we will use the bummper sticker to point out how someone else has it all wrong and our views/perceptions of how things should be/are are superior in order to gain some sort of social advantage or elevation by standing on somone else. Another example of flawed people pointing out the flaws of others.

How cool would it be to see the bumper sticker and find joy in another's happiness in the path they are on?

2013-07-22 12:35 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by powerman

oooh! A live one So, Lisa, do you think one can know peace without taking Christ as their saviour?

Well if you want to argue religion and use it as a division then ya... that is a perfectly reasonable "interpretation".

If you just take it for what it is, you could see a person that achieved some peace through Jesus. That before in his/her life it was one way and now it is another.

And Lisa feels baited because it is pretty much what it is. Religion is nothing more than a fellowship of people with a common belief. That fellowship being made of people is capable of everything people are capable of... control, division, condemnation, and superiority... as well as unity, forgiveness, compassion, love, and even peace.

People use religion for what ever suits them at the time... just like using this bumper sticker as topic for yet another rehash of a 5000 year old argument...

We could take the bumper sticker as a subject of how to find peace... and then we could share our experience of how we have done that in our life and perhaps find some unity and common ground on this strange trip we are on...

But that is probably asking too much... we will use the bummper sticker to point out how someone else has it all wrong and our views/perceptions of how things should be/are are superior in order to gain some sort of social advantage or elevation by standing on somone else. Another example of flawed people pointing out the flaws of others.

How cool would it be to see the bumper sticker and find joy in another's happiness in the path they are on?

Nice post.  ;-)

2013-07-22 12:54 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

What a commy you are turning into!

This morning I opened the door to my 2 year old's bedroom and he's sitting in his crib and he says "Hi daddy". Also, when I got up my wife moved over and took my warm spot (it's the middle of summer, what is wrong with her??). That's how I know peace.

2013-07-22 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

oooh! A live one :) So, Lisa, do you think one can know peace without taking Christ as their saviour?

Right. Yup, that's totally what that's all about. Just like you're always about peace in every thread. Strange trip indeed. Peace bro.

Edited by switch 2013-07-22 1:05 PM
2013-07-22 1:13 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Elite

Originally posted by JoshR  What a commy you are turning into! This morning I opened the door to my 2 year old's bedroom and he's sitting in his crib and he says "Hi daddy". Also, when I got up my wife moved over and took my warm spot (it's the middle of summer, what is wrong with her??). That's how I know peace.

Laughing

My peace comes from a "burden shared is a burden lessened". I'm not real happy these days and I take it out on those I love. The wife and I had a really good talk the other day (after a fight) and the truth is we are both scared and don't really know what to do, but that we will do it together. Today that is what I am working on, and I have hope... which gives me peace.

2013-07-22 1:15 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by switch  Right. Yup, that's totally what that's all about. Just like you're always about peace in every thread. Strange trip indeed. Peace bro.

I can spot it, because I got it. Takes one, to know one sort of thing. I never said I was perfect, or even peaceful. May we both find some today. That would be really nice.

2013-07-22 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by switch  Right. Yup, that's totally what that's all about. Just like you're always about peace in every thread. Strange trip indeed. Peace bro.

I can spot it, because I got it. Takes one, to know one sort of thing. I never said I was perfect, or even peaceful. May we both find some today. That would be really nice.

Haha...oh all right. Except I can train hard today, and all my "peace" inducing things are off limits until after AGN;) I'll try--try--to simmer down. Hugs Powerman.
2013-07-22 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
No Cheeze its, No Pizza.

2013-07-22 1:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left BrainNo Cheeze its, No Pizza.
OMFG?! Dude, are you calling me fat? LB. Lol. He's met me people... this could get interesting;)
2013-07-22 1:46 PM

User image

Pro

OMFG?! Dude, are you calling me fat? LB. Lol. He's met me people... this could get interesting

Know Pizza, Know peace.  Know....wait, I mean, no, wait......what?  Laughing

2013-07-22 1:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain

OMFG?! Dude, are you calling me fat? LB. Lol. He's met me people... this could get interesting

Know Pizza, Know peace.  Know....wait, I mean, no, wait......what?  Laughing

Wow. Keep diggin dude.
2013-07-22 2:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Haha...oh all right. Except I can train hard today, and all my "peace" inducing things are off limits until after AGN I'll try--try--to simmer down. Hugs Powerman.

Ya... and while we're B.S.in'.... being so opinionated is not really bringing me a lot of peace... I'm just speaking for me... and I could probably be more constructive with my time if I just stuck to my experience and not my opinion. But that is my own chit, and some of it probably get's flung on others. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf... a kinder gettler Powerman... and then you have to go and do this stupid #%$^#$^.... one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.... sorry, my bad. You are a beautiful unique snowflake Switch and I will accept you as you are....

Tongue out

Edited by powerman 2013-07-22 2:44 PM
2013-07-22 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Haha...oh all right. Except I can train hard today, and all my "peace" inducing things are off limits until after AGN;) I'll try--try--to simmer down. Hugs Powerman.

Ya... and while we're B.S.in'.... being so opinionated is not really bringing me a lot of peace... I'm just speaking for me... and I could probably be more constructive with my time if I just stuck to my experience and not my opinion. But that is my own chit, and some of it probably get's flung on others. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf... a kinder gettler Powerman... and then you have to go and do this stupid #%$^#$^.... one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.... sorry, my bad. You are a beautiful unique snowflake Switch and I will accept you as you are....

Tongue out

You funny. I like that:) I'm sorry. Nobody knows my faults better than me. Thank you for being patient with me today. Peace, really.

2013-07-22 3:29 PM

New user
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

I have literally spent hours upon hours meditating and studying this one verse. Personally, it has gotten me through the darkest times of my life and brought me to a place where the peace I found truly transcends all understanding.
2013-07-22 4:56 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Man, hard to figure out what's going on in this thread.  Lots in inside jokes/stuff going on?

I'm starting to think I have been blessed in my 40+ years to be pretty laid back/easy going.  I never felt the need to "search" for peace.  I don't think about it that much or need to work at it or study or meditate...  It's just life, man.

Of course there are down times.  Divorce, cancer, deaths...  But lots of great times too.

As for the bumper sticker?  That would occupy about 0.1 second of my attention after reading it.

I don't need all kinds of deep meaning quotes to live by...  Some of my oldies and goodies?

• "Different strokes for different folks" - ?
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and/or Ted.
  • "Live and let live" - ?
  • "Try to learn something new every day" - Me

That whole "Everything I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten" thing is more appropriate than not and I pity those that constantly look for conflict in life.  Judging and conflicts and adversarial situations just drain you mentally and physically - brings in a darkness.  It's more fun to work on my golf swing than get in a rage about the guy who cut me off in traffic or someone on some personal religious high horse.  People that are overly judgmental or think they are always right entertain me and I enjoy poking them with sticks.

2013-07-22 5:52 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by Kido

Man, hard to figure out what's going on in this thread.  Lots in inside jokes/stuff going on?

I'm starting to think I have been blessed in my 40+ years to be pretty laid back/easy going.  I never felt the need to "search" for peace.  I don't think about it that much or need to work at it or study or meditate...  It's just life, man.

Of course there are down times.  Divorce, cancer, deaths...  But lots of great times too.

As for the bumper sticker?  That would occupy about 0.1 second of my attention after reading it.

I don't need all kinds of deep meaning quotes to live by...  Some of my oldies and goodies?

• "Different strokes for different folks" - ?
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and/or Ted.
  • "Live and let live" - ?
  • "Try to learn something new every day" - Me

That whole "Everything I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten" thing is more appropriate than not and I pity those that constantly look for conflict in life.  Judging and conflicts and adversarial situations just drain you mentally and physically - brings in a darkness.  It's more fun to work on my golf swing than get in a rage about the guy who cut me off in traffic or someone on some personal religious high horse.  People that are overly judgmental or think they are always right entertain me and I enjoy poking them with sticks.

lol, i'm stealing that.

One of my favorite bible versus is Matthew 7:5 "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Christians who judge people really annoy me, and I'm a christian.
2013-07-22 5:53 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Regular
LHOTP
I don't know what I was thinking starting this thread. I guess I just wasn't. I was in Wisconsin where every other billboard is evangelical. I was post race and feeling cantankerous. My bad.
2013-07-22 6:03 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by switch I don't know what I was thinking starting this thread. I guess I just wasn't. I was in Wisconsin where every other billboard is evangelical. I was post race and feeling cantankerous. My bad.

It's obvious the devil made you do it.  ;-)

2013-07-22 6:05 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

btw, I saw a bumper sticker that made me laugh the other day.

Truck with marine stickers all over the back and a bumper sticker in the middle of his back window that read:

"Marine Sniper, you can run but you'll just die tired"

2013-07-22 6:41 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Visualize Whirled Peas
2013-07-22 6:55 PM

User image

My favorite bumper sticker is "My dog is smarter than your 5th grader"

Never put a bumper sticker on my car, you want to know my opinion ask me.

John
2013-07-22 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by switch I don't know what I was thinking starting this thread. I guess I just wasn't. I was in Wisconsin where every other billboard is evangelical. I was post race and feeling cantankerous. My bad.

It's obvious the devil made you do it.  ;-)

Literal lol. "The bartender only serves brown liquor down here. So let's have a party in hell."
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Bumper sticker I saw today... Rss Feed  

of 3