User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Bumper sticker I saw today...
"No Jesus. No peace. Know Jesus. Know peace." Discuss

2013-07-21 10:24 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Subject: RE: Bumper sticker I saw today...
Was it on a Pickup?
2013-07-21 11:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I don't know Jesus and I know peace. 

So there!!

Edited by ChrisM 2013-07-21 11:24 PM
2013-07-22 4:42 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by crusevegasWas it on a Pickup?
Minivan.
2013-07-22 4:48 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by ChrisM

I don't know Jesus and I know peace. 

So there!! :)

Yeah :) Sorry Buddha...
2013-07-22 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by switch "No Jesus. No peace. Know Jesus. Know peace." Discuss

Somebody's feeling a little frisky this morning. 

OK, I'll bite.

I've seen the bumper sticker before and don't really have a problem with it.  Obviously the word "peace" is very far reaching so it can lead to varying interpretations that are true and not true.

My interpretation of it is "inner peace" and I don't think it's absolute in the sense that if you don't know Jesus you have zero chance of peace.  However, I do feel that on a whole many people do not have inner peace.  They have a void in their life that they're trying to fill without success.  If I just make more money, I'll feel better.  If I just get a nicer car I'll feel better.  If I just get a different wife, I'll feel better.  If I just have this affair, I'll feel better.

However, every time they get what they're striving for, they still feel the same about themselves and nothing changes.

I'm probably not doing a very good job of explaining it, but in a nutshell when people truly accept Jesus into their heart the worldly desires of greed, pride, lust, etc should have much less of a hold on them.  So, the very things that were causing the turmoil in their lives become less.  Hence, know Jesus, know peace.

I can also sit here all day long and give examples of people who do know Jesus that do continue to struggle, so it's not an absolute on the other side either.

2013-07-22 9:26 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by switch "No Jesus. No peace. Know Jesus. Know peace." Discuss

OK, I'll bite.

I've seen the bumper sticker before and don't really have a problem with it.  Obviously the word "peace" is very far reaching so it can lead to varying interpretations that are true and not true.

My interpretation of it is "inner peace" and I don't think it's absolute in the sense that if you don't know Jesus you have zero chance of peace.  However, I do feel that on a whole many people do not have inner peace.  They have a void in their life that they're trying to fill without success.  If I just make more money, I'll feel better.  If I just get a nicer car I'll feel better.  If I just get a different wife, I'll feel better.  If I just have this affair, I'll feel better.

However, every time they get what they're striving for, they still feel the same about themselves and nothing changes.

I'm probably not doing a very good job of explaining it, but in a nutshell when people truly accept Jesus into their heart the worldly desires of greed, pride, lust, etc should have much less of a hold on them.  So, the very things that were causing the turmoil in their lives become less.  Hence, know Jesus, know peace.

I can also sit here all day long and give examples of people who do know Jesus that do continue to struggle, so it's not an absolute on the other side either.

Amen, I think you did a great job explaining it. I also think it is the kind of peace that keeps you from getting worked up by a bumper sticker.

Edited by jford2309 2013-07-22 9:35 AM
2013-07-22 9:31 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Regular
Northport, NY
On a similar note I've seen the bumper sticker (in Lake Placid) WWJB - Who Would Jesus Bomb (this was 2007) Though it was hilarious.
2013-07-22 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jford2309

OK, I'll bite.

Amen, I think you did a great job explaining it. I also think it is the kind of peace that keeps you from getting worked up by a bumper sticker.

I get worked up by many things; this bumper sticker isn't one. I always find it awesome though when any religious group makes a claim that you can't be x, y or z without their belief system. That's the Christian spirit at it's best!
2013-07-22 9:49 AM
in reply to: jellyfish74

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jellyfish74On a similar note I've seen the bumper sticker (in Lake Placid) WWJB - Who Would Jesus Bomb (this was 2007) Though it was hilarious.
indeed :)
2013-07-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

OK, I'll bite.

...are replaced with a hearty helping of guilt. 

2013-07-22 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Originally posted by switch

OK, I'll bite.

I get worked up by many things; this bumper sticker isn't one. I always find it awesome though when any religious group makes a claim that you can't be x, y or z without their belief system. That's the Christian spirit at it's best!

Serious question here: Do you think a religion should be based on whatever you like about different religions and you can pick and choose what you want in your belief system???  I get the sarcasm in your "it's awesome" statement, but I do not get why you take offense to a religious group having certain believes in their believe system?  

I am not sure I worded that right, but no one forces any belief on anyone, they can either choose to accept beliefs or not accept them. I know what I believe to be true, and I am at peace with that.

2013-07-22 10:42 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My interpretation of it is "inner peace" and I don't think it's absolute in the sense that if you don't know Jesus you have zero chance of peace.  However, I do feel that on a whole many people do not have inner peace.  They have a void in their life that they're trying to fill without success.  

I agree with this, really well said.

Fun Fact: I owned this exact bumper sticker when I was in high school. I loved the play on words and the message really resonated with me. In fact it might still be in my childhood bedroom somewhere!

2013-07-22 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

I would agree with you on that for sure. 2 things I learned from "Art of Happiness" by the Dalia lama is:

1) more you see people similar to you the more you like them and the more different you look at people the more you dislike them.
2) Either you can be happy by keep more or learn to be happy with what you have. Unfortunately for this one it goes against our American culture really. The American dream is to go from rags to riches. To have tons in excess.
2013-07-22 10:57 AM

User image

Elite

OK, I'll bite.

Or... it could just be the personal experience of the person that put it on their car... they could just be talking about themselves and not making some grand clainm about all other world religions.

It's a bumper sticker, don't over think it.

Edited by powerman 2013-07-22 10:57 AM
2013-07-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by lisac957

My interpretation of it is "inner peace" and I don't think it's absolute in the sense that if you don't know Jesus you have zero chance of peace.  However, I do feel that on a whole many people do not have inner peace.  They have a void in their life that they're trying to fill without success.  

Fun Fact: I owned this exact bumper sticker when I was in high school. I loved the play on words and the message really resonated with me. In fact it might still be in my childhood bedroom somewhere!

oooh! A live one So, Lisa, do you think one can know peace without taking Christ as their saviour?

2013-07-22 11:02 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

oooh! A live one So, Lisa, do you think one can know peace without taking Christ as their saviour?

I think there are varying degrees of "peace".
But the "peace" the bumper sticker is referring to? No. 

2013-07-22 11:06 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by switch "No Jesus. No peace. Know Jesus. Know peace." Discuss :)

Somebody's feeling a little frisky this morning.  :)

OK, I'll bite.

Or... it could just be the personal experience of the person that put it on their car... they could just be talking about themselves and not making some grand clainm about all other world religions.

It's a bumper sticker, don't over think it.

I LOVE it when people tell me not to "overthink it". Dude, if it's personal why a BUMPER STICKER? Lol. I don't have a single bumper sticker on my truck and there's a good reason for that.
2013-07-22 11:12 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I always thought it was "No Justice No Peace."

2013-07-22 11:14 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
LHOTP

oooh! A live one :) So, Lisa, do you think one can know peace without taking Christ as their saviour?

Could you define the "peace" on the bumper sticker for me?
2013-07-22 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by switch I LOVE it when people tell me not to "overthink it". Dude, if it's personal why a BUMPER STICKER? Lol. I don't have a single bumper sticker on my truck and there's a good reason for that.

Because maybe the person is just trying to share what helped them... and perhaps the bumper sticker allows the reader to take it or leave it.

Edited by powerman 2013-07-22 11:15 AM

2013-07-22 11:19 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by switch "No Jesus. No peace. Know Jesus. Know peace." Discuss :)

Somebody's feeling a little frisky this morning.  :)

OK, I'll bite.

Serious question here: Do you think a religion should be based on whatever you like about different religions and you can pick and choose what you want in your belief system???  I get the sarcasm in your "it's awesome" statement, but I do not get why you take offense to a religious group having certain believes in their believe system?  

I am not sure I worded that right, but no one forces any belief on anyone, they can either choose to accept beliefs or not accept them. I know what I believe to be true, and I am at peace with that.

I'm planning on coming back to this when I have a real keyboard :)
2013-07-22 11:25 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Could you define the "peace" on the bumper sticker for me?

No offense but I feel like I'm being baited. I've said all I want to say in this thread Innocent

2013-07-22 11:27 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by chirunner134

I would agree with you on that for sure. 2 things I learned from "Art of Happiness" by the Dalia lama is: 1) more you see people similar to you the more you like them and the more different you look at people the more you dislike them. 2) Either you can be happy by keep more or learn to be happy with what you have. Unfortunately for this one it goes against our American culture really. The American dream is to go from rags to riches. To have tons in excess.

I read something a while back that I thought was interesting.  I'll paraphrase, because I don't remember it exactly.

We compare who and what we know we are on the inside to what others are on the outside.  Hence, no matter what, we're often going to feel inferior even when we're not.

The point in the article was to not compare, because you will ultimately end up feeling bad.  I think this jives with what you posted by the Dalia lama.

2013-07-22 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by chirunner134

I always thought it was "No Justice No Peace."

Funny you mention it: I saw a protestor on TV demonstrating against the TM/GZ verdict and she was holding a sign that said, "Know Justice, Know Peace"

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Bumper sticker I saw today... Rss Feed  

of 3