General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help planning taper week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-06 11:04 AM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
Subject: Need help planning taper week
I have been training for my sprint tri (Tri for Compassion, July 19th) and would like your input on my taper week. I have been loosely following the 13 week Sprint program from this site. The taper week shows every other day off. Would it still be ok to reduce the mileage but still train every day until the day before the tri (full day off)? I usually train every day with 1 day off per week now and feel comfortable with the distances and my ability to do them all (although not speedy). I have done 2 bricks in the last two weeks that were 12mile bike/1 mile run, and 12 mile bike/2 mile run. I had planned to do another brick this week, 12 mile bike/3 mile run (just to get the feel for the two sprint distances together). Should I reduce the bike distance for that brick and then do the 3 mile run?

Regular runs: 5k (33-36 mins)
8-9k (50-60 mins)

Regular bikes: 20k (50-60 mins) X2 per week

Regular swims: distance ? (30-33 mins) 2-3X pe week

Thanks for your help!!!

Darlene

2004-07-06 11:16 AM
in reply to: #35540

User image

Regular
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Need help planning taper week
I would take it easy.
Easy and SHORT bike & swim on Mon and Tue. Then relax and eat carbos. Loosening 15' run 48 hours before the race.
On race morning get up early and go for a 10/15 run to wake up your body.

have a great race.
2004-07-06 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Would it be OK to do something everyday but reduce mileage? Sure, it'd be OK, but this is not a time to experiment, in my view. The best time to figure out which training/taper plan works best for you is during the year, in the midst of your training plan. I don't believe you will gain much, if anything for the race. Secondly, if you end up sore your recovery will be that much harder. Third, you could just plain end up tiring out your body and you won't even know you're tired until the end of the bike or the middle of the run. My advice would be to follow the plan. It is the product of a lot of experience and experimentation so you don't have to. Have a great race!!
2004-07-06 11:41 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
When I tapered for my 10k race, I cut down on volume by about half and did my last workout on the Thurs before my Sunday race. I literally laid around all Saturday.

I also ate lots of carbs and ate the evening meal recommended by Runner's World: 1 baked potato (in the form of oven fries), 2 large squares of cornbread with fruit preserves, 1 glass low fat milk, 1/2 c low fat frozen yogurt. The morning of the race, I had a white bagel with jelly and coffee and Immodium A/D (not taking any chances). It worked like a charm. I never felt more energetic for my race.

I have gained a few pounds since last week (also due to post race festivities) but it was WELL worth it!

In other words, rest more than you think you need and don't do ANYTHING the day before.
2004-07-06 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
I find that I feel best if I take the day 2 days before the race totally off and then do a really short and easy bike ride or run the day before. I may do one or two acclerations in that final workout just to remind my body what it feels like to go fast. If I take the day before the race totally off I tend to feel tight for the beginning of the race.

Just my $.02-take it for what it's worth.
2004-07-07 12:18 PM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
Thanks for your input. I think I will stick with the plan and do the light workouts. I want to be ready, but not tired. I plan to take the whole day before off, as I will be driving 6 hours that day to get to the tri city. I will then need to go to the bike/helmet check in and pick up my race bag etc. on Sat. as well. I just learned that the bike portion is open to traffic which is freaking me out a bit, as I ride on the shoulder of a highway for my workouts. I think I'll do a bit of riding in town here this week to get used to having cars pass me and work on signalling and cornering. I am getting excited and nervous...there are only going to be 200-250 participants in this tri, and I am trying hard not to think that they will all be elite athletes. LOL!!!

Darlene

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help planning taper week Rss Feed