General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-05-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Thanks, I feel really good but I'm going to take it easy for this week and eat a bit too much .

2014-05-20 6:19 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ultramike

Originally posted by papson14 Thanks, I hope so too. Kind of playing it by ear. I only wish I liked the pool more

Looked up your results.  It looks like your training and preparation has really paid off.  You really held it together for the run.  And your swim time has improved incredibly since last year.

Congratulations.

Thanks, I had to take a step back and realize that I was training too easy. I was sitting back acting like I was happy being on the other side of 12 hours. Sort of, "I've been there, done that, I don't need to work." Then I figured out that I want more. I know I have more so I just have to put in the work.

Funny about the swim, I went from a 1:10-1:15 IM swim at all my other races to complete meltdown swims in TX. The last minute wetsuit change (allowed to wear them) threw me off as I hadn't worn it in a while. 3rd year in a row I jacked it up. Better yes, but next year I'll get back to my normal swim time. Swimming towards the wrong yellow buoy is not a good idea.
2014-05-20 6:21 PM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by tlancer23

Originally posted by papson14

How's everyone doing? Just finished IMTX yesterday and I'm already ready to work towards CDA. Need to take it easy but I have a good plan, starts with a lot of swimming and aqua jogging to recover then a couple of weeks of regular training before a 10 day taper.

Just wanted to see how everyone else is doing. Feel ready? Not? Hope you all had a good weekend.

--Chris

Howdy Chris! I also did IMTX. I woke up Sunday and all I could think about were the hills at CdA I had a 28 hour drive home to NorCal, my feet are so swollen! :p I hope to get back into full training this weekend. No injuries, just a huge blister on the bottom of my foot.

Me too. Just cleaned my bike and switched out my cassette to something more hill friendly. Hope you're drive is going/has gone well. See you in a handful of weeks.
2014-05-20 6:24 PM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by citaltfort

How's everyone doing? Just finished IMTX yesterday and I'm already ready to work towards CDA. Need to take it easy but I have a good plan, starts with a lot of swimming and aqua jogging to recover then a couple of weeks of regular training before a 10 day taper.

Just wanted to see how everyone else is doing. Feel ready? Not? Hope you all had a good weekend.

--Chris

And I have to ask a question about your signature. What's prompting the move to Italy in 2015?

My wife is a Navy Doc, right now in between seeing clinic she's also the Family Practice detailer, which means she tells all Navy Docs where they are going next and when. Since she's in charge she gets to place us wherever we want to go. Naples, Italy is a great spot for our family to do all the traveling we'd like to do. We were in Okinawa, Japan a couple of years ago and the kids loved it so we're heading back out of 'Merica in 13 months.

There are also a bunch of cool IMs over there
2014-05-21 8:30 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Canyon, Texas
According to the bike map, it seems that the special needs is not at an aid station? Could someone please confirm this? I really prefer to get off the bike just once. :/ Thanks!
2014-05-21 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

According to the bike map, it seems that the special needs is not at an aid station? Could someone please confirm this? I really prefer to get off the bike just once. :/ Thanks!

looks just like Texas. Special needs at the halfway mark while the aid stations are every 10'ish?

2014-05-22 1:14 PM

User image

Chicago
This is coming from experience last year but if memory serves there are aid stations within a mile or two but not at the special needs (which was at the turnaround point). Guessing the thinking was to not get the area too congested by offering so much at one stop.
2014-05-24 7:45 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Long bike day 112 miles 6mile run brick. So how does one get that last 30 miles of the bike ride to not suck? Really ready for a recovery week. How is training going guys? Getting closer to taper, train smart.
2014-05-24 8:33 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Baowolf

Long bike day 112 miles 6mile run brick. So how does one get that last 30 miles of the bike ride to not suck? Really ready for a recovery week. How is training going guys? Getting closer to taper, train smart.

Nice work. Not much to help out with the suck factor in those long rides. I'm with you though. I did a 5.5 hr ride followed by 6.8 m brick run on Fri. Then today knocked out a 17m run today. Did I mention it was in the mid 90's w/ the heat index near 100 on both days. I just kept thinking, I'm not right in the head, but on the flip side, not too many people can put their bodies through this. 2 more rough training weeks for me, Agree train smart and we're almost there.
2014-05-24 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4813476

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
My training has been completely derailed since Monday due to acute shin splints.

Not feeling very optimistic about being able to race Coeur d'Alene in 5 weeks. But maybe I can be recovered in time for Whistler 4 weeks later.
2014-05-24 11:06 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

The last 30 miles are tough but the way I think about it is, 30 miles is/was such an easy ride the last few months I could do it in my sleep. I start thinking about T2 and pacing, nutrition, being freaking awesome.....stuff like that. Keep your mind busy and focus on continuing your race plan. Remember how awesome you are and how close you are to getting off that bike.

We do this for fun, so have some.

2014-05-24 11:09 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by tallytom

Nice work. Not much to help out with the suck factor in those long rides. I'm with you though. I did a 5.5 hr ride followed by 6.8 m brick run on Fri. Then today knocked out a 17m run today. Did I mention it was in the mid 90's w/ the heat index near 100 on both days. I just kept thinking, I'm not right in the head, but on the flip side, not too many people can put their bodies through this. 2 more rough training weeks for me, Agree train smart and we're almost there.

sounds like last year's IMTX weather....should have been here this year, a cool 84. Downright brisk.
2014-05-25 12:13 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mike you have a massive build in place. The first thing I look at with shin splints is whether my shoes are getting old. Then it is roll them with marathon stick/foam roller, ice after every run etc. If too painful to run/jog then walking 4 miles a day x 5 days a week and walk 7-8 miles on your long run day will maintain a good chunk of your run fitness. It looks like you are already starting aquajogging as a substitute for impact. Also elyptical will help for non-impact run fitness. CDA will likely not be as amazing as your training buildup has been for this race, but you can likely complete it at a not too too sucky pace if those shins come around.

Given your training and everything you probably know your body and training much better than I do, so not prying just sharing in case anyone else runs into shin splints. If anything is helpful to you that would be a bonus.
2014-05-25 1:55 AM

User image

Canyon, Texas

Mike you have a massive build in place. The first thing I look at with shin splints is whether my shoes are getting old. Then it is roll them with marathon stick/foam roller, ice after every run etc. If too painful to run/jog then walking 4 miles a day x 5 days a week and walk 7-8 miles on your long run day will maintain a good chunk of your run fitness. It looks like you are already starting aquajogging as a substitute for impact. Also elyptical will help for non-impact run fitness. CDA will likely not be as amazing as your training buildup has been for this race, but you can likely complete it at a not too too sucky pace if those shins come around.

Given your training and everything you probably know your body and training much better than I do, so not prying just sharing in case anyone else runs into shin splints. If anything is helpful to you that would be a bonus.

I had a slight shin splint issue recently as well. I did most of the things mentioned, however, I also began wearing a calf compression sleeve while I slept and I kept it close for any running. A few weeks later, I was all fixed up. Just food for thought.
2014-05-25 3:27 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ah yes I also use compression tights after runs longer than 13 miles. It is worth a try won't do any harm.
2014-05-25 6:38 PM

User image

Hello, all. Good work everyone.

Training's going okay, but I feel I'm reaching my breaking point. 22-mile run last Sat., 110-mile bike Monday, run speedwork Tuesday, bike hills Wednesday. Swimming 3 times per week. And another 19-mile run around beautiful Payette Lake today. One more "hard" week for me, culminating in my second and final Friehl "Big Day."

Seriously thinking about Boise 70.3 three weeks before CDA. I think I've got the discipline to swim normally, back off the bike, and back way off the run. I'd like to do it for the workout, the practice in transition, and because, well, Boise owes me a full 70.3 -- I was part of that unfortunate 2012 freak weather that shortened the bike. Haven't raced since.

Feeling ready to get this done.

2014-05-26 12:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Originally posted by Baowolf Mike you have a massive build in place. The first thing I look at with shin splints is whether my shoes are getting old. Then it is roll them with marathon stick/foam roller, ice after every run etc. If too painful to run/jog then walking 4 miles a day x 5 days a week and walk 7-8 miles on your long run day will maintain a good chunk of your run fitness. It looks like you are already starting aquajogging as a substitute for impact. Also elyptical will help for non-impact run fitness. CDA will likely not be as amazing as your training buildup has been for this race, but you can likely complete it at a not too too sucky pace if those shins come around. Given your training and everything you probably know your body and training much better than I do, so not prying just sharing in case anyone else runs into shin splints. If anything is helpful to you that would be a bonus.
I had a slight shin splint issue recently as well. I did most of the things mentioned, however, I also began wearing a calf compression sleeve while I slept and I kept it close for any running. A few weeks later, I was all fixed up. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the tips guys.  

• My shoes are at 350 miles, so they are definitely due to be replaced before I run again
  • I never thought of elliptical, but it sounds like a good alternative to aqua jogging
  • I went out and bought some compression sleeves today.  They seem to be helping already.

I will see the PT again tomorrow.  I'm hoping he gives me the go ahead for biking, swimming, aqua jogging, and elliptical.  He put me on complete rest for the weekend so I could get the inflammation under control.

Honestly I won't be overly disappointed if I have to do Whistler instead of Coeur d'Alene, but I will be majorly disappointed if I can't do either race.  I've already missed the 45 day deadline for the transfer program so I'll have to pay full price for Whistler.  But I can save money on travel and hotel costs since Whistler is only a 2 hour drive from home.  

2014-05-28 12:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Originally posted by citaltfort
And I have to ask a question about your signature. What's prompting the move to Italy in 2015?

My wife is a Navy Doc, right now in between seeing clinic she's also the Family Practice detailer, which means she tells all Navy Docs where they are going next and when. Since she's in charge she gets to place us wherever we want to go. Naples, Italy is a great spot for our family to do all the traveling we'd like to do. We were in Okinawa, Japan a couple of years ago and the kids loved it so we're heading back out of 'Merica in 13 months.

There are also a bunch of cool IMs over there

Very nice! That's a wonderful perk to have. Way to take advantage of it and see the world.
2014-05-28 12:09 AM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by ultramike

Originally posted by Baowolf Mike you have a massive build in place. The first thing I look at with shin splints is whether my shoes are getting old. Then it is roll them with marathon stick/foam roller, ice after every run etc. If too painful to run/jog then walking 4 miles a day x 5 days a week and walk 7-8 miles on your long run day will maintain a good chunk of your run fitness. It looks like you are already starting aquajogging as a substitute for impact. Also elyptical will help for non-impact run fitness. CDA will likely not be as amazing as your training buildup has been for this race, but you can likely complete it at a not too too sucky pace if those shins come around. Given your training and everything you probably know your body and training much better than I do, so not prying just sharing in case anyone else runs into shin splints. If anything is helpful to you that would be a bonus.

Thanks for the tips guys.  

• My shoes are at 350 miles, so they are definitely due to be replaced before I run again
  • I never thought of elliptical, but it sounds like a good alternative to aqua jogging
  • I went out and bought some compression sleeves today.  They seem to be helping already.

I will see the PT again tomorrow.  I'm hoping he gives me the go ahead for biking, swimming, aqua jogging, and elliptical.  He put me on complete rest for the weekend so I could get the inflammation under control.

Honestly I won't be overly disappointed if I have to do Whistler instead of Coeur d'Alene, but I will be majorly disappointed if I can't do either race.  I've already missed the 45 day deadline for the transfer program so I'll have to pay full price for Whistler.  But I can save money on travel and hotel costs since Whistler is only a 2 hour drive from home.  

I'm sorry about the shin splits. Definitely try the elliptical. It kept my running going while I was having achilles issues. If not CdA, then you should certainly be able to get this taken care of prior to Whistler. Good luck!
2014-05-28 11:26 AM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
When do we think bib numbers will be posted?
2014-05-28 6:32 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by kmac1346

Was thinking of that as well. I'm sure since it isn't sold out yet, they will wait until the last minute before they have to hit the printing press. My guess another 2 weeks.

2014-05-28 10:49 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Canyon, Texas
Originally posted by tallytom

Was thinking of that as well. I'm sure since it isn't sold out yet, they will wait until the last minute before they have to hit the printing press. My guess another 2 weeks.

It looks like general entries are officially sold out :D
2014-05-29 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Since we have a few more weeks to get in some heavy training, I am fending off the feelings of not having done enough, but I can tell that I will have to deal with the feeling of not having swam enough. I definitely feel stronger in the pool, but not sure I have done enough volume. I know I have some time to address that though.
2014-05-29 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Since we have a few more weeks to get in some heavy training, I am fending off the feelings of not having done enough, but I can tell that I will have to deal with the feeling of not having swam enough. I definitely feel stronger in the pool, but not sure I have done enough volume. I know I have some time to address that though.

You're right, you have time. However, no matter how much you train, you'll still wonder if you've done enough.

1 month!
2014-05-30 8:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Your bike looks pretty good, your run is a little lite but sufficient, swim is a bit low, but definitely enough to finish the race fine. You will just have to pace accordingly.

At this point it is too late to do anything about it. You have 1 week to solidify the training you have already done, but not enough time to actually make training gains. So just stay at a high Z2 or slightly into Z3 effort all day and you should be fine. If you cook the swim and the bike there is some risk of walking during the 2nd half of the marathon. So you have the fitness for a good race, but not for a really fast race The worst thing you can do at this point is to train something really hard and get injured. (Just my thoughts based on your miles, not meant to be discouraging at all, you are fine for the race.)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 138607 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 382821 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 134509 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3640 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61291 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.