General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Avoiding hijacking Trainerroad Thread, but do have a question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-26 11:40 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Avoiding hijacking Trainerroad Thread, but do have a question
Saw the TrainerRoad thread just as I sat down to write this and didn't want to hijack it.  Like the OP in that thread, I'm a recent TR - as in joined 2 days ago - convert.  Got myself a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid trainer, really like it and am happy to see the endorsement from Yazmaster that I made a good choice regarding TR compatibility.  Inflated rear tire to 110 psi and cranked the resistance knob 4 full turns, then did the 20 minute FTP test today.  Thought I was gonna die in the last quarter, so probably gave it the right effort.  I set my FTP level for the test at 240 as opposed to the default value of 200 as I wanted to make sure I did not have a target that would allow me to slack off, but could tell early on it was waaaay to ambitious.  I went out too hard at the beginning so saw power in the first half at 226 but in the second half dropped to 221 giving me an FTP of 211.  Have not had the chance to see what that level actually meant, so was thrilled to see the other thread today and the comment saying 220 is a solid effort.  Workout results are here.

So the question:  I can already see that TR can be a great tool for increasing bike fitness and am looking forward to using it.  In the early stages of an 8 week Olympic plan now and have to figure out when to use the TR workouts as opposed to what is in my plan.  Just did my first HIM 2 weeks ago (bike time 2:57) so am considering starting with the Base II instead of the Base I, doing the shorter rides per the TR plan and my long ride outside.  I'd actually like to start in the Build I, but I'm really not a seasoned rider and want to make sure I do have a solid base before pushing things too hard.  Does this make sense, or am I being too conservative?

2013-07-26 11:44 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Veteran
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Avoiding hijacking Trainerroad Thread, but do have a question
I'm not very seasoned, but I think sticking with Base I will be fine. If you are within your build phase before your race, I don't know I would change much from what you have planned. You might want to work in a day of hard intervals. You don't have to necessarily use their plan.

I have a friend who felt because of his ability, not experience, that he was advanced and chose a plan that was beyond him. He was able to do the workouts, but lacked the base.

There are a lot of threads out there about what intervals to do etc. You could pick a workout on Trainer Road and do that for your interval set. Look at what you have now, and see where that fits in.
2013-07-27 4:19 AM

Just listen to your body. Shoot high and adjust - the nice thing with TR is that you can easily adjust or swap the workouts if they're too easy/hard.

FWIW as well - I biked a HIM course with 2000ft of climbing in 2:40 averaging 205 watts with a powermeter, to give you a reference of sorts of where your KK readings compare to a calibrated powermeter.
2013-07-27 5:50 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Nice--welcome to TR.  KK Road machine was my choice as well, and it is the shiznit;)

I don't have time to double check right now, but I believe in the set up directions on TR (which at one point were specific to a KKRM, I think), they advised setting up the resistance wheel so that it just touched your tire and then turning the trainer knob 2.5 turns.  Again, it doesn't matter as long as you do it the same way every time (and the same way you tested), but I think that helps make the numbers more accurate (though they're still not accurate and really can't be used as anything other than a reference point).

JFTR, it's possible that I totally dreamed the 2.5 turns thing;)

I also don't think it matters what program you choose.  They'll all help. They're all adjustable.  I started with Base I and never felt  like it was too easy.

That being said, now I like to choose which workout I do.  If I'm riding 3x/week on TR, I try to pick one with shortish intervals 30-45 seconds, one with longer intervals, and then something that looks challenging and fun.  I also  try to do a long ride outside once a week.  I've been really pleased with my progress.  I think everyone should get their butts on TR, or something similar, if they're looking to improve their cycling.

Good luck :)

2013-07-27 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm sure the Base and Build plans are good, but when I looked at them, I didn't feel like I wanted to commit to certain rides, so I picked as I went along.  Training for a HIM, I targeted 2-3 trainer rides and one long ride outside each week.  I learned to listen to my body and pick appropriate rides, rather than just using a plan that doesn't take how I feel into account.  

For example, I used to swim Monday nights (would get home after 9pm) and had a trainer ride Tuesday morning (4am).  I was a little more tired on Tuesday trainer rides than my Thursday trainer rides -- I didn't sleep as much, I was probably less hydrated, and I was probably still feeling it a bit from my Sunday long ride.  

So what I learned was Tuesdays were good for mid-70's to low-80's TSS (60 min) rides, Thursdays were good for mid-80's to low-90's TSS (60 min) rides, Saturdays were good for up to 90 min rides, and these all set me up for long rides on Sundays.  

The plans, I believe, are made for people who cycle only (or cross train for fun, not competition) and don't really consider what impact your running and/or swimming will have on your cycling.  Like switch, I preferred to pick my own rides, rather than use one of their plans. 

That said, I have heard rumors of them considering putting together triathlon plans (can't remember if it was TR or if it was Sufferfest, but I did hear a rumor about one of them putting something together). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Avoiding hijacking Trainerroad Thread, but do have a question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question on trainer for trainerroad

Started by clgswisher
Views: 2517 Posts: 10

2012-11-17 6:41 PM clgswisher

Trainerroad question

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1553 Posts: 8

2012-11-05 7:18 AM marmadaddy

BT (Jorge) cycling program & TrainerRoad questions

Started by jawgee
Views: 2149 Posts: 10

2012-08-22 2:32 PM jawgee

Finally a 100 mile month (so as not to hijack the other thread)

Started by JoshR
Views: 1046 Posts: 8

2010-09-01 9:33 AM Donskiman

re: hypertension-so as not to hijack sebastian thread

Started by cdom
Views: 644 Posts: 7

2006-10-13 6:48 AM sebjamesm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.