General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-on Aerobars on a Road Bike - Worthwhile Investment? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-29 7:48 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Clip-on Aerobars on a Road Bike - Worthwhile Investment?

Subject says it all - your advice appreciated!

I'm doing my first 70.3 in a couple of weeks' time. I own both a tri bike and a road bike, but having previewed the bike course over the weekend, I have decided to use my road bike for the race.

Two main reasons:

a) the course is very up + down, lots of rollers, where you are continually changing gear. Having the shifters on the bars will make life a lot easier.

b) the course is very windy, lots of crosswinds, lots of buffeting from traffic on busy roads. I want the better handling/stability that goes with my road bike.

However, there are a few places on the course - including one very long (12 mile) straight flat sheltered section that is perfect for tri bikes.

Two questions:

a) how much benefit will clip-on aerobars really give me? Are they worth the effort/cost of buying and installing?

b) will I need to adjust my saddle - height and.or forward/back positioning? I'm kinda loathe to do so because my current set-up is dialed in nicely right now.

One final point - I'm not planning on setting any record times at this race. My biggest consideration is minimizing my exertion on the bike to leave myself in the best possible shape for the run.

Thanks for your advice!
SM

2013-07-29 7:58 PM
in reply to: smallard

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Clip-on Aerobars on a Road Bike - Worthwhile Investment?
A) compared to my road bike on the hoods, shorty clipons were 3.5s/km faster (and my tribike was 7s/km faster than the hoods)

B) IMO do not change the fit of your road bike to accomodate aerobars, make the fit of the aerobars accomodate your road position. Shorty aerobars are generally best for this and you want to keep your comfortable drops and hoods positions while adding the aero position to the mix.

Shane
2013-07-29 10:06 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I have clip on aerobars on my road bike and LOVE THEM! My road bike is my training bike and I do most of my flat races on my tri bike. BUT, there are many instances where the aerobars come in handy!

A) yes, there is a benefit, even if it is only giving you one more option to put your hands. I'm most comfortable on the aerobars, but will be on the hoods/drops depending on weather/terrain. I like the option and feel my upper body is more rested at the end of a ride!

Good example...I just did the ride up Mount Lemmon, Tucson, Arizona. After a 4 mile relatively flat road up to the start of the mountain, it was ALL UPHILL for 25 miles at 4-6% Grade. I wanted my road bike due to better handling, more gears (more granny gears :-) and 1 extra water bottle cage. I wasn't in the aerobars once up to the top, but on the way down...let's just say it was one heck of a downhill. Once we got to the bottom there was still that 4 mile stretch before getting back to the car. It was hot, windy, and I was tired. I was SO GLAD I had the aerobars at that point :-)!

I'd find a good pair you like and have your bike shop fitter install them. I did this to be sure I had them in the right place...which leads me to:

B) I had the fitter who did my road set up put the aerobars on...and dialed in the position so I didn't have to adjust my road position at all. I'm comfortable riding either way. So don't adjust your road set up, esp if it really works for you now!

I'm definitely less tired after a ride with the aerobars than I was without them, and feel my power stayed more consistent/increased with them installed.

Only problem is if you do any group rides or organized road races...many wont allow aerobars, so you would have to take them off.

Give them a try, I bet you will love them!!
2013-07-29 11:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
+1 for shorty aero bars.

I just put some on my cyclocross-turned-roadie and saw a huge performance increase. When I needed to shift, I wasn't in aero anyway because I was going uphill. I got these: http://www.amazon.com/Vision-Mini-Clip--170mm-Black/dp/B001F3CQ3K/r...

I put them on myself. There's not a lot of adjustability in them so install was easy. I didn't feel like I needed to overhaul anything on the bike to make good use of them.
2013-07-30 3:07 AM

User image

Canyon, Texas
I would buy them all over again. The bars are much more comfortable for me than the drops plus more aero. It's a win/win. It might be a good idea to get refitted but I wouldn't call it necessary. I didn't adjust anything after installing my bars.
2013-07-30 6:59 AM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Do it. I have Profile Design Airstryke(?). Little longer than "shorty," but best for me. I don't have a tribike, and the only HIM I have done was very hilly, so I didn't miss one there. The aerobars are definitely faster, and worth it. I had mine installed by a LBS, and the fit is just right.

2013-07-30 10:15 AM

User image

I totally agree with gsmacleod's comments. Shorty aerobars were a great investment!!! I got the Profile Design Jammer GT Aerobar this past spring. Dorky looking, but they work well and are fairly inexpensive. No fancy carbon fiber! Their set up so that the armrest is over the bike top-tube. This setup let's me keep my road bikes positioning and still let's me get into a fairly aero position without any handling twitchiness. With the shorties, the end of the aerobar is just about where your right brake/shifter is located. I can stay in my aero tuck, move my right hand quickly to the shifter and back easily. If I need to perform multiple shifts, I just keep my right hand on the shifter, maintaining my aero position.

As the season has progressed and I've adapted to the bars, I've been able to readjust the Stubby aerobars for a flatter back, better aerodynamics. Adding the stubby aerobars has upped the average speed of my normal bike loop by a few MPH.
2013-07-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: Macguyverguy

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I found aero bars on my roadie to be pretty uncomfortable in the lower back region. However they don't add a ton of weight and can be had for pretty cheap so if you want to try them give it a shot. I agree though, don't mess with your roadie position to accommodate the bars, make the bars fit your roadie position. 

As far as are they worth it monetarily for a 56 mile ride? That is all up to you. We all buy lots of stuff that probably isn't really worth it as far as speed or energy savings goes, but that is part of the fun!

2013-07-30 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
+1 on investing in the clip-ons. And agree with choosing short bars requiring minimal (if any) seat adjustment.

You've given your handling/climbing logic for using road bike for your 70.3. Here's some comparison data supporting the aero benefit of clip-on aerobar-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/how-aero-is-aero
2013-07-30 9:25 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod A) compared to my road bike on the hoods, shorty clipons were 3.5s/km faster (and my tribike was 7s/km faster than the hoods) B) IMO do not change the fit of your road bike to accomodate aerobars, make the fit of the aerobars accomodate your road position. Shorty aerobars are generally best for this and you want to keep your comfortable drops and hoods positions while adding the aero position to the mix. Shane

x2...the information above is spot on.

However, my opinion is that you should use your tri bike, and you're picking a road bike for this course because you're overthinking.

Save money by not buying clip on aero bars and go faster on your tri bike as a result.  WIN - WIN

2013-07-31 12:21 AM
in reply to: #4816355

User image

Los Gatos
Thanks to everybody for your fantastic input. My LBS has the Profile Design Airstryke in stock so I'm getting those fitted tomorrow.

To those of you who wondered - I realize that my tri bike (Cervelo P3) will outperform my roadie (Trek Madone 5.2), even with clip-ons, in virtually every scenario but I think this upcoming 70.3 race is the exception. I've done 10 events on my P3 in the last 12 months and never had an issue but I previewed this course on my P3 last week and it was a nightmare. I was probably aero for no more than 20% of the course and felt like I'd gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson by the end. Oh, and I nearly got blown into a ditch on a fast descent by a particularly tricky crosswind!

If this was a TdF time trial, I'd have the team car switch out my Trek for the Cervelo for the last 12 miles but I don't have that luxury :-)

Thanks again!

2013-07-31 6:15 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Jason N

However, my opinion is that you should use your tri bike, and you're picking a road bike for this course because you're overthinking.

Save money by not buying clip on aero bars and go faster on your tri bike as a result.  WIN - WIN

I was going to post that as well however, based on the OPs statement that they were not comfortable on the course on a tribike led me to forgo that suggestion. If someone doesn't feel safe, not only will they likely ride more slowly on the tribike but it is probable they would be a hazard to others.

However, I agree with your point for a rider who is confident on the course - i have not seen a single triathlon bike leg in North America that would lead me to choose a road bike over a tribike.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-on Aerobars on a Road Bike - Worthwhile Investment? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Clip on AeroBars for Road Bike

Started by laddheath
Views: 948 Posts: 3

2009-12-09 11:08 PM barelfly

Forerunner 305 and clip on aero bars for road bike

Started by jtm3
Views: 4545 Posts: 12

2009-04-14 4:31 PM the bear

Road Bike + Clip-on aero bars + Aero Helmet = ?

Started by jeffy_101
Views: 1279 Posts: 5

2009-03-26 11:12 AM jeffy_101

First time on a road bike with clip on shoes

Started by dfercha
Views: 1001 Posts: 10

2007-06-06 11:08 AM 1stTimeTri

Clip-on aero bars on a road bike?

Started by Micawber
Views: 772 Posts: 3

2006-06-21 3:39 PM Ridgelake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.