General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CIPRO and Tendon Rupture.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-04 9:09 PM

Veteran
Subject: CIPRO and Tendon Rupture..
Hey..
I was put on Cipro last week for what I thought was a UTI, but culture came back negative. So no infection found. Symptoms lasted only a day, but doctor said to take Cipro (antibiotic) anyway..I"ve taken it for 5 days now, but think I'm going to quit since there wasn't an infection in the first place. Well, now I read that it can cause "spontaneous tendon rupture"..Scary! I read the FDA warning that said not to exercise while taking it and that the risk of tendon rupture is increase for "several months after taking the drug"..Jeez!! I can't stop exercising for "several months". I know everyone is different, but have any of you taken this drug, and if so, what was your experience with it?? Thanks in advance..

2013-08-04 9:27 PM
in reply to: texasgrrl

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: RE: CIPRO and Tendon Rupture..
It makes me wonder why your MD would tell you to continue taking the antibiotic if your urine culture came back negative. The risk of tendon rupture with quinolones is very, very small, but it's there. I'd suggest talking to your MD or pharmacist again - tell him/her your concerns and discuss if it's reasonable for you to stop taking it. Seems reasonable to me...
2013-08-04 10:52 PM
in reply to: TriRx

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
I agree with TriRx.  If you don't have an infection, taking antibiotics makes no sense.  And, the incidence of tendon rupture from Cipro and similar abx is extremely low.  I wouldn't worry about it myself.  Should you actually get an infection, there are likely alternatives i.e. other abx besides Cipro.
2013-08-05 2:56 PM

User image

If your doctor gave you CIPRO he/she will tell you to finish it because shortening courses of antibiotics contributes to antibiotic resistance. Even though you tested negative for the one class of bacteria they tested for, you might have something else.

So.... DON'T stop the antibiotics unless the doctor says so.
2013-08-05 3:12 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jennifer_runs If your doctor gave you CIPRO he/she will tell you to finish it because shortening courses of antibiotics contributes to antibiotic resistance. Even though you tested negative for the one class of bacteria they tested for, you might have something else. So.... DON'T stop the antibiotics unless the doctor says so.

Last time I had a UTI (and was prescribed Cipro), my doc said to STOP taking the antibiotic as soon as the symptoms went away. She said that continuing to take them too long can be the cause of resistance (instead of not taking them long enough) and was not necessary once I felt better. 

I'm sure there are many trains of thought on this but that was my latest experience.

2013-08-05 3:17 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jennifer_runs If your doctor gave you CIPRO he/she will tell you to finish it because shortening courses of antibiotics contributes to antibiotic resistance. Even though you tested negative for the one class of bacteria they tested for, you might have something else. So.... DON'T stop the antibiotics unless the doctor says so.

Last time I had a UTI (and was prescribed Cipro), my doc said to STOP taking the antibiotic as soon as the symptoms went away. She said that continuing to take them too long can be the cause of resistance (instead of not taking them long enough) and was not necessary once I felt better. 

I'm sure there are many trains of thought on this but that was my latest experience.

That's interesting.

But in the end I think the OP should consult the doctor and not get advice from here about whether to stop the CIPRO.

2013-08-05 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
usually for a simple UTI (no diabetes or other underlying immunocompromising conditions) 3 days is plenty 5 at the outside.
I NEVER prescribe cipro to athletes unless it is the only thing possible and then have them not do anything weight bearing while on it.

The risk of tendon rupture goes up with age, and use of steroids.
2013-08-06 9:06 AM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by TriToy usually for a simple UTI (no diabetes or other underlying immunocompromising conditions) 3 days is plenty 5 at the outside. I NEVER prescribe cipro to athletes unless it is the only thing possible and then have them not do anything weight bearing while on it. The risk of tendon rupture goes up with age, and use of steroids.

My urologist (referal by my long-time PCP) prescribed Cipro for me for a suspected UTI.  Didn't realize what it was until I picked it up at the pharmacy.  Since I'm over 60 and have degenerative Achilles tendinosis, it was that last thing I wanted to take.

Called the docs office to ask for something else.  Nurse called me back and basically gave me a rough time and told me that the risk was so low that I shouldn't worry about it.

Didn't take it and have no intention of ever seeing that urologist again.

Mark

2013-08-06 10:54 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by TriToy usually for a simple UTI (no diabetes or other underlying immunocompromising conditions) 3 days is plenty 5 at the outside. I NEVER prescribe cipro to athletes unless it is the only thing possible and then have them not do anything weight bearing while on it. The risk of tendon rupture goes up with age, and use of steroids.

My urologist (referal by my long-time PCP) prescribed Cipro for me for a suspected UTI.  Didn't realize what it was until I picked it up at the pharmacy.  Since I'm over 60 and have degenerative Achilles tendinosis, it was that last thing I wanted to take.

Called the docs office to ask for something else.  Nurse called me back and basically gave me a rough time and told me that the risk was so low that I shouldn't worry about it.

Didn't take it and have no intention of ever seeing that urologist again.

Mark

good plan.
my mother VERY healthy, over 80, was put on cipro and reached for something in her closet and ruptured a tendon in her shoulder. Because of her age and the underlying arthritis she is not a surgical candidate. no more tennis, lots of pain life very much changed for her
2013-08-06 10:57 AM

User image

Elite

I realize you are just listening to your doctor but this is bad advice...I have never heard this before and have been in healthcare for 20+ years. Though I do not prescibe antibiotics many of my friends and collegues do and they never give this advice. But don't take my word for it

http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/antibiotic-resistance-fa...

2013-08-06 10:59 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by FELTGood

I realize you are just listening to your doctor but this is bad advice...I have never heard this before and have been in healthcare for 20+ years. Though I do not prescibe antibiotics many of my friends and collegues do and they never give this advice. But don't take my word for it http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/antibiotic-resistance-fa...

OK. But for the record it's the same advise the other doc in this thread said (3 days)... shrug.

2013-08-06 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

When I was young I was sick quite a bit.  I can't even count the number of times I was given and told to take antibiotics before they knew exactly what was wrong with me *just in case* it's this, or it's that and test results took longer back then.  Half the time their initial guess was wrong so we were just told to stop the antibiotic and go with some other drug or form of treatment.

They also diagnosed me with a mitral valve prolapse and that triggered a mandatory 6 PILLS of amoxicillan each time I got my teeth cleaned and 3 after the cleaning.  As an adult after reading that MVP was very commonly misdiagnosed in the 80's and 90's I got retested and the doctor said based on the results not only did I not have MVP but I never had it.  So the countless doses of amoxicillan were never even necessary.

I feel like that's just a standard response with traditional medicine.  I don't think there's a big concern about whether or not there are negative effects of overdoing antibiotics.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CIPRO and Tendon Rupture.. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cipro and Achilles Tendenoses

Started by jmot
Views: 1029 Posts: 3

2011-03-22 1:45 PM jmot

Anyone rupture an ear drum?

Started by Meulen
Views: 4456 Posts: 15

2010-12-17 11:42 AM COSkiGirl

Running shoes and tendon pain

Started by ghopper18
Views: 740 Posts: 4

2009-06-16 6:56 AM Jeepguy2358

Achilles Tendon Soreness

Started by Longshot
Views: 1806 Posts: 10

2008-05-06 9:07 AM bmacd

Tendon Question

Started by VikingMom
Views: 662 Posts: 7

2006-02-09 9:47 AM VikingMom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The diagnosis, treatment and prevention of a rupture of your plantar fascia.

date : April 27, 2012
comments : 1
I have peroneal tendon problems on my left. The brevis is a complete rupture after two repairs. I think the longus is having to compensate. I seem to have the pain more after cycling.
date : May 9, 2011
comments : 2
Achilles Tendonitis is one of the most common running injuries due to overtraining. In this video, a sports medicine doctor diagnoses and provides a treatment plan.

date : October 11, 2010
comments : 1
Are you on a course of antibiotics? A certain class of antibiotics, the quinolones, may put you at risk for increased incidence of tendon injury.
date : February 22, 2010
The Doctor says a minimum of eight weeks before I'm back in the pool. I'm training for a HIM and wondering how quickly I can start running and what the recovery will be like.

date : November 4, 2007
I've been told I have laxity in my tendons which sets me up to be more prone to overuse injuries. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate my chronic achilles pain?
date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : October 1, 2006
Tendonitis can often be treated effectively through a variety of means including therapeutic exercise, medications, modalities, taping, and, most importantly, activity modification.