General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTA Aero systems vs standard bottle with rear carrier Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-05 10:55 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Subject: BTA Aero systems vs standard bottle with rear carrier
Hi there ... just want some thoughts on people going with a standard water bottle between aerobars vs something like these new xlab or profile straw/re-refillable options?

I plan on doing an ironman next year ... and just wonder what is best?

Right now leaning on just a standard bottle, with aero frame bottle, and a two bottle carrier in the back with one cage empty. BTA bottle runs out, place in empty cage in rear, then bring new bottle up front.

I do like a straw in my face reminded me to drink ... but how hard is it to just grab bottle quick and drink? Guess I will just have to try it out.

What is the general feeling out there?

I know it is a much discussed topic but want some current thoughts.

Thanks,

Mike

2013-08-05 11:10 AM
in reply to: drbnd

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: BTA Aero systems vs standard bottle with rear carrier
There's plenty of data/discussion on what is *fast* and what isn't.

Some people can't get used to drinking without a straw... having a slower bottle setup is much better than a fast setup that you don't hydrate adequately with.

Figure out what works for you.
2013-08-05 1:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap There's plenty of data/discussion on what is *fast* and what isn't. Some people can't get used to drinking without a straw... having a slower bottle setup is much better than a fast setup that you don't hydrate adequately with. Figure out what works for you.

This.  And it depends on the distance.

For a HIM I still use a speedfil and one frame bottle, as I can concentrate the speedfil bottle to last for 2-3 hours, depending on the course, no need to refill or replace.

For my IM this month I am using a regular BTA bottle as I am not interested in trying to refill on the fly, so I'll have the BTA, one frame, and a single BTS zip tied to the rails.  Removing the BTA bottle to drink is easy, even with one arm still on the pads.   One 3 hour mix and one two hour mix, and then a water bottle to be replaced.  Only decision left is whether the water goes in the frame or BTS cage, due to the risk of bottle ejection.  Haven't had it much with the gorilla cage but has happened.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-08-05 1:05 PM
2013-08-05 1:22 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
^btw (and totally off topic)
Going to be internally routing the cables on the Planet X in a week or two. Should be a neat project :P
2013-08-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap ^btw (and totally off topic) Going to be internally routing the cables on the Planet X in a week or two. Should be a neat project :P

I thought you were looking for a new frame?  (sorry, OP    )

2013-08-05 6:06 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
ehh the main thing I'm looking for is routing behind the stem to accommodate my drop... if I can make that work on PX all the better (plus it should be fun!)
If it doesn't work I've got a "real" excuse to go bike shopping

2013-08-09 11:18 AM
in reply to: drbnd

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
i personally use the BTA speedfill A2 for my HIM and love it. Easy to fill
2013-08-09 11:58 AM
in reply to: cxk9758

User image

Originally posted by cxk9758 i personally use the BTA speedfill A2 for my HIM and love it. Easy to fill

since it's too late to edit my above, by "speedfil" I also mean the A2, not the frame tank 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BTA Aero systems vs standard bottle with rear carrier Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Hydration Systems--aero and rear

Started by TriMomKS
Views: 2918 Posts: 9

2013-04-01 6:57 PM TriMomKS

Rear mounted hydration system for Selle SMP saddle

Started by Nats
Views: 967 Posts: 1

2009-05-14 8:50 PM Nats

rear bottle cages that don't launch bottles

Started by jonathan22
Views: 1222 Posts: 10

2008-09-04 8:34 AM clightle

Rear Mounted Hydration Systems

Started by joerigg
Views: 730 Posts: 2

2006-09-22 11:14 AM rkreuser

Xlab rear mounted bottle holder system...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1440 Posts: 18

2006-04-04 4:28 PM Stake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 15, 2013
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 0
XLAB Launches the Latest Rear Single Bottle System, the DELTA 300

date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.