General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Break down the wall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-05 1:50 PM

Subject: Break down the wall

Looking for suggestions...

I have been a runner a long time (until I got knee problems a few years ago) and more recently, turned to triathlon.

My problem has always been that I hit the wall big time, after about 2 hours or a bit more. I did an Olympic this weekend, with a goal of breaking 3 hours.

I had for me a fabulous swim, 32 minutes, and a good bike, and started the run at about 1:58 into the race. I am no longer a good runner, but have done 5Ks recently under 24:30, and even some brick workouts (25 mile bike, 10K run) that had the run under an hour.

Anyway, the point is, I had about as good a position as I could hope for to break 3 hours, but it didn't happen. The first 5K was about 29 minutes - in the second one, the wheels had come off and it took 35 painful minutes.

I am worthless and weak.

Thank you.

2013-08-05 1:54 PM
in reply to: north_north_west

User image

Subject: RE: Break down the wall

You're going too fast on the swim and bike to maintain a good pace on the run.   THink of it as one sport.....

And no, not worthless and weak

2013-08-05 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
What are you drinking/eating during the bike portion?
2013-08-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Thanks for your replies.

Nutrition: On the bike, I had about 16 ozs of Gatorade, and half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (maybe 200 calories) That could be certainly part be part of it.

Is there any gel or bar or anything that has worked well for you?

Pace: Of course it could have been too fast, but it wasn't that much different than training paces. The swimming was about my pool swimming speed - the wetsuit helped, but being in open water hurt from a navigational standpoint, and I think they balanced out. The bike was a little faster than training but it felt like a strong paced race, not an all out effort.

2013-08-05 3:15 PM

User image

Exton, PA
If 16 oz of Gatorade and a PBJ was all you had for the whole race, I'm betting you ran out of fuel. I usually do 24oz of Gatorade and 3 gels during an Olympic event. Plus some extra water/Gatorade on the run.
2013-08-05 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
It is almost certainly the result of your fitness and pacing. The fact that you say you typically hit the wall around two hours suggests that you are going too fast for your fitness and then hit the wall. Generally when an athlete falls apart on the run, it is directly related to going too hard on the swim and/or bike; it is likely you swam/rode too fast for your fitness and paid the price on the run.

The solution is simple; train to improve your fitness and pace your race more effectivley so that you are able to run the 10k close to your half mary pace. Of course the trick is training and pacing appropriately and that's what makes the simple solution not an easy one to implement.

Shane

2013-08-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Train more - what kind of advice is that?

Its like telling someone who is overweight to eat less and exercise.

2013-08-05 4:57 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by north_north_west

I am worthless and weak.

Hardly. I have been running since January & I have improved to the times that you cited. My best 5K is 25 min & my best 10K is 57 min. Yes, I am working to get better & I am making progress, but those times are hardly worthless & weak.

Just remember that for every race time you are unhappy with, there are 100 others who would give their left arm for the same finish times you have.
2013-08-05 4:58 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by north_north_west Train more - what kind of advice is that? Its like telling someone who is overweight to eat less and exercise.

Fundamentally, it's correct, no?

What kind of advice are you looking for in particular?

I think the observation about overcooking it on the swim and bike is an accurate one.  If I ever fail on the run, it's almost always because I push too hard on my ride and I need to look at training my bike a bit more if I want to keep that pace.

I also think you should also expect to be at your limit for the last 1/3 of the run.  That's when heart and determination take up the slack.  If someone was feeling fresh that last half to last 1/3 of the run isn't going hard enough, IMO.  That portion SHOULD hurt.

2013-08-05 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by north_north_west Train more - what kind of advice is that? Its like telling someone who is overweight to eat less and exercise.

If you don't like Shane's advice (which is usually spot on), then how does HTFU sound?

Mark

2013-08-05 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Solid advice!

In reviewing your logs, if they are accurate you are not properly trained to do a sub 3 hr Oly.  Download a training plan and stick to it.

Swim: 2h 45m 13s  - 7900 Yd
Bike: 8h 44m 13s  - 148.66 Mi
Run: 6h 08m 45s  - 37.1 Mi

Swim: 2h 35m 56s  - 6775 Yd
Bike: 5h 36m 14s  - 95.46 Mi
Run: 10h 53m 28s  - 71.2 Mi

2013-08-05 5:15 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia

Interesting, because that is the exact advice I would tell someone who is overweight.

Don't read Shane's reply as just "Train more." Read the whole thing. It's all about training smarter. Find specific drills that will help your endurance. Find a nutrition plan for the race that will keep your energy up. Train in as close to actual race conditions as you can.

If you are looking for an answer or a solution that doesn't involve smarter or better training, then you are the same as the overweight person who doesn't want to hear that eating less & exercising will help them lose weight.
2013-08-05 5:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

If you don't like Shane's advice (which is usually spot on), then how does HTFU sound?

Mark

I got the impression the OP was being a bit sarcastic.......  I hope......

Edited by ChrisM 2013-08-05 5:28 PM
2013-08-05 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Doubt it is hitting the wall as in marathoning, although it's possible you'd benefit from some additional calories. Much more likely a matter of pacing and doing the bike leg too fast so that you weren't able to run up to your ability. Even with a run background, there's going to be some discrepancy between a run-only race and your performance in a tri. For me, if I run well, it's about 30-60 seconds over 5 km; 2-3 minutes for 10 km. I tend to run well off the bike; for many people it's more than that, closer to 10%, or about 2 minutes for someone who does 5K in 20 minutes. And it doesn't always turn out well--I've had suck (for me) races that have included 55 and 49 minute 10K's, and my first tri featured a 5K in about 27 minutes where I nearly had to walk the last half mile. (Best open times about 20/ 42 minutes.) Ugh! In both cases, my run fitness was strong at the time; it was mainly a matter of biking too hard for my fitness; in the second probably poor nutrition and hydration as well.

I find it useful to do occasional brick workouts where I really push the bike and then do a short run (maybe 2 miles if training for a sprint, 4 miles for an Oly, 6 for a HIM) to see how I feel on the run. You can probably run well off the bike if you start feeling "normal" within five minutes on the run. If you're dragging the whole way, then the bike pace is probably too fast to run well off of. I've found these very helpful in dialing in bike pace for all distances, for sprint to HIM.
2013-08-05 6:47 PM
in reply to: 0

For the record, this was meant to be humorous. Of course training more would help.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Huh- looking at the logs , I guess it wasn't quite as much training as I thought (though I did lose a few workouts when I hadn't charged up my Garmin). It feel like I am training all the time. I can amp up the training, at least a bit. I can certainly get to more total volume, but for me it feels like the single 3 hour block that is the killer.

I guess what I am looking for is suggestions on nutrition. What do you think is is necessary for an Olympic? I know some people who don't eat anything, and they do fine. When I have experimented with it, it hasn't made much difference - I have still felt awful after 2:30 whether or not I ate during the bike

Edited by north_north_west 2013-08-05 7:06 PM
2013-08-05 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Huh- looking at the logs , I guess it wasn't quite as much training as I thought (though I did lose a few workouts when I hadn't charged up my Garmin). It feel like I am training all the time. I can amp up the training, at least a bit. I can certainly get to more total volume, but for me it feels like the single 3 hour block that is the killer.

You'll notice that I said you need to train to improve your fitness which doesn't necessarily mean more volume (although I haven't looked at your logs so more volume may be the best approach). You can also add intensity, especially in the water and on the bike, and use that to increase your training load.

Training load, which is what leads to fitness gains, should be progressive and is the product of volume and intensity. While generally the run requires more volume and less intensity, most of your swims should have lots of race pace and faster work and your bike should have lots of work right around race effort.

As for the three hour block, do some 3 hours rides or 30 minute swim, 2:30 rides or 2:40 rides, 20 minute runs, etc. If you are going to race for three hours, having your long workout be around that time can help prepare you for what it is going to be like to race for that amount of time.

I guess what I am looking for is suggestions on nutrition. What do you think is is necessary for an Olympic? I know some people who don't eat anything, and they do fine. When I have experimented with it, it hasn't made much difference - I have still felt awful after 2:30 whether or not I ate during the bike

Nutrition may be a small part of your problem but it is much more likely related to fitness and pacing. For someone doing a 3 hour oly, here's what I would suggest as a starting point:

Normal breakfast about three hours out

Sip (small sips) sports drink until 15 minutes out

Gel with water 15 minutes out

Sip of water 5 minutes out

Sip of water as soon as you start riding and then aim to take in 200-300Cal on the bike; I would normally go with sports drink and just sip throughout but gels and water are just as effective. Aim to take nothing in the last 5k to hit the run with a relatively empty gut.

Sip sports drink or water at aid stations, aim for about 100Cal over the first 5k and then maybe 50Cal over the last 5k.

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Break down the wall Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

When plans break down

Started by jsklarz
Views: 637 Posts: 3

2011-11-26 7:54 PM jsklarz

Bike Break Down For Travel

Started by AZ Desert Diver
Views: 826 Posts: 4

2011-05-27 7:53 AM brooksinc1976

Macca breaks down his race

Started by Phonger
Views: 939 Posts: 2

2010-10-18 8:36 PM ahohl

I broke down and finally bought tri and bicycle shorts

Started by MadMathemagician
Views: 1300 Posts: 12

2009-10-09 8:35 AM Pector55

breaking through the wall

Started by kalle
Views: 693 Posts: 5

2005-03-22 11:05 PM guinnessracing
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Most episodes start with the tearing, giving-way sensation. This is localized about 1-2 cm inside the 10th rib on the side. How I might get a long term solution to this problem?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : July 11, 2007
Upon releasing me from the ER, the cardiologists said that I have an athlete's heart - enlarged chambers and thickening of the walls. Should I be concerned?
date : June 18, 2006
author : Team BT
The lateral pulldown strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.
date : April 24, 2005
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"