General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women specific saddle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-07 11:20 AM

Subject: Women specific saddle
Hi there, I found out recently that I feel better on the saddle with thinner padding (trisuit vs regular Bib short), but I think I could still make some improvement, so I start looking into women specific saddle, but can't seems to know how to choose...any recommendations?
Thanks

2013-08-07 11:32 AM
in reply to: cecileO

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Women specific saddle
While mine's not women's specific, I'm in love with it. I ride an Adamo Road saddle on my road bike and tri bike. It's a little expensive, though you can find gently used ones for around $100.

Trisports has a demo program, and a few local shops in your area might have one as well. http://www.trisports.com/tri-before-you-buy-demo-saddle-program.htm... It's a really good way to go, because you can try before you buy.

Worth every penny!
2013-08-07 11:36 AM

Your saddle is one of the most important parts of the bike for comfort. My Favorite was the Avocet O2 but I dont think they make them any more. I now have the Terry Butterfly Ti on all my road bikes and have a great Adamo for my tri set-up. Terry are pretty good wome's saddles. Some relly like the Adamo or Cobb. Those are the main ones I see but there are a ton of options out there.

Best thing is to try out a few. I think Trisports.com has a program where you can try one for a fee ($25 or something to cover shipping et al) and then if you like it they apply part of the demo fee to a purchase. There may be other bike shops that do this too. It gives you a chance to really try it for a few days and get in a good long ride to see if it works for you.
2013-08-07 11:57 AM
in reply to: Swim Chick

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I spend a LOT of money on various saddles before finding the right one for me - and it's the Adamo road as well.  One thing that Adamo has done on one of the newer versions is make the 2 nose pieces angled in a tad more for even more comfort.

I would suggest either the trisports route, or I believe Cobb saddles has a 90 day return policy so that you can really get some time in the saddle to decide whether you really like it or not.

I hope you find one that works for you! 

2013-08-07 12:03 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I spend a LOT of money on various saddles before finding the right one for me - and it's the Adamo road as well.  One thing that Adamo has done on one of the newer versions is make the 2 nose pieces angled in a tad more for even more comfort.

I would suggest either the trisports route, or I believe Cobb saddles has a 90 day return policy so that you can really get some time in the saddle to decide whether you really like it or not.

I hope you find one that works for you! 

X3 on the Adamo! I bought mine "gently used" on Craigslist and have been happy ever since.

2013-08-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

I put the Fisik Donna on both of my bikes. It has a slight indentation, but not a specific cutout. I had read in Bicycling magazine a while back that cutout saddles were found to cause sexual disfuntion in women who ride a lot (the ridges put pressure on the nerves). Most bike shops with have test saddles you can try out or a fairly generous exchange policy. What saddle works best for you is a very...personal...decision and must be emperically determined.

2013-08-07 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
I went through 5 other saddles and was always uncomfortable before I got an Adamo saddle and it is perfect! It took about 3 weeks to get use to (as you sit on your sitbones) but after that you can ride for hours and hours...

I have the Adamo Breakaway on my Tri Bike and the Adamo road on my roadbike.
2013-08-07 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4823540

User image

I use a terry falcon. It doesn't have as much padding as the butterfly. I really like it. I tried the sp. ruby/Jett and they did not fit my butt at all.
2013-08-07 5:03 PM

User image

Champion
MA

What works for one person may or may not work for someone else. See if you can find a local shop that has a lending saddle program or a generous return selection.

Cobb has 180 day return policy which makes it a safe economic investment.

I like Stella SMP saddles that have very wide cut out to avoid soft tissue from being squished.

Depending on your issue, a different saddle may work better.

More race type saddles have less padding than beginning saddles. As I improved as a cyclist and more miles, I liked harder saddles. Terry Butterfly to start but feels smooshy to me know. Then I moved onto one of their race saddles they don't make any longer. The SMPs work best for me.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women specific saddle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Woman-specific saddle

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1376 Posts: 10

2013-06-03 11:25 AM GLC1968

Best women specific saddle?

Started by KatieLimb
Views: 4657 Posts: 13

2012-05-07 12:56 AM triosaurus

women specific bike

Started by Caryl
Views: 899 Posts: 7

2010-08-01 11:12 PM trigal38

Specific saddle question for the ladies

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1085 Posts: 9

2009-06-13 1:49 PM kjboneham

Tri specific saddle

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 1192 Posts: 8

2006-06-14 4:25 PM swbkrun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : January 19, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Which sport do you believe is easier to continually improve at: swimming, bicycling, or running? What makes you think this specific sport is easier to improve at?
date : September 23, 2008
author : sportfactory
As you approach your goal race it is important to train as you will race. The last thing you want is to be surprised on race day.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.