General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strava vs. Garmin Connect Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-07 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: Strava vs. Garmin Connect
So I was just going through data and I noticed something very strange. On my rides, strava and garmin are usually within a couple tenths of a mile within each other for accuracy. However for my long ride last week, Garmin had it at 98.63 miles and Strava at 109.1 when I just uploaded it. Never had it been THAT off. Thoughts?

2013-08-07 12:52 PM
in reply to: japewang

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Strava vs. Garmin Connect
Did you by chance have another training event that you didn't hit "reset" on your garmin after completing? I've done that by accident (like a brick) where I stopped one event, forgot to hit reset and started another event. Garmin sees it as two files but strava views it as one.
2013-08-07 1:25 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Nope. One activity. Same maps when I compare the two. I remember thinking when I got off the bike that the garmin distance and mph seemed to be off based on my estimate of what it should have been. Here are the two files:

http://www.strava.com/activities/72905883

and

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/352840348
2013-08-07 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
There are differences in moving time for both too.  It looks odd on the surface.
2013-08-07 2:10 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Originally posted by msteiner

There are differences in moving time for both too.  It looks odd on the surface.

Garmin Connect shows 6 minutes of less moving time than Strava.

Garmin Connect
Time: 6:56:50
Moving Time: 6:50:42
Elapsed Time: 7:12:55

Strava:
Time
06:57:46
Elapsed Time
07:12:14

I can't see your split detail on Garmin Connect. Did you record the Strava on your phone and the garmin on your garmin device? or did you record on the garmin and upload to strava?
2013-08-07 2:50 PM

User image

Did you stop someplace, stop your Garmin, then start riding again only to realize a few minutes later you forgot to re-start it and re-start it at that point? I have done that before and gotten results similar to that. Strava calculates the missed distance in and Garmin Connect ignores it I believe.

2013-08-07 5:27 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
5hours 20 minutes into the ride Garmin has you going 100 mph. My guess is this is where you lost your distance. While you might be very daring, and super fast going uphill like a super hero, I kind of think you weren't traveling 100 mph.
2013-08-07 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Originally posted by trisuppo

Originally posted by msteiner

Garmin Connect shows 6 minutes of less moving time than Strava.

Garmin Connect
Time: 6:56:50
Moving Time: 6:50:42
Elapsed Time: 7:12:55

Strava:
Time
06:57:46
Elapsed Time
07:12:14

I can't see your split detail on Garmin Connect. Did you record the Strava on your phone and the garmin on your garmin device? or did you record on the garmin and upload to strava?

Uploaded garmin file to strava
2013-08-07 8:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Originally posted by k1200rsvt

Did you stop someplace, stop your Garmin, then start riding again only to realize a few minutes later you forgot to re-start it and re-start it at that point? I have done that before and gotten results similar to that. Strava calculates the missed distance in and Garmin Connect ignores it I believe.

Perhaps, but not anything that would result in a 10 mile difference. A large gap isn't showing on the map when I run the course replay on GC. This is a plausible answer, I just can't find that gap, that jump between 2 pts on the map.

Edited by japewang 2013-08-07 8:11 PM
2013-08-07 8:09 PM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Originally posted by crissy_jo

5hours 20 minutes into the ride Garmin has you going 100 mph. My guess is this is where you lost your distance. While you might be very daring, and super fast going uphill like a super hero, I kind of think you weren't traveling 100 mph.

Wouldn't that work the other way? Like add more mileage than actual? Also those spikes 'appear' to be only a second. Would that add up to 10 miles plus in difference?
2013-08-07 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Is your auto pause on for cycling? If so what is the parameter for it to auto stop?

2013-08-07 9:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by japewang

Originally posted by crissy_jo

Wouldn't that work the other way? Like add more mileage than actual? Also those spikes 'appear' to be only a second. Would that add up to 10 miles plus in difference?

You were at point A, 5 miles later point B, and say your speed was 20 mph - that should take you 15 minutes. If Garmin logged you at point A and paused for some odd reason then 15 minutes later started again when you were at point B it would think you went from point A to point B (covering 5 miles) in 1 second. That would give you a very high rate of speed, and the huge blip on your Garmin log saying you were going more than 90 mph uphill. Not sure if it would log those 5 miles with the Garmin or not.

I have one other theory based on the map w/ the Garmin. The points plotted on the Garmin map look very straight when the road below them seems rather curvy. Perhaps the Strava program could map better by plotting more points (essentially following the curvy road and not taking the tangents) and get you your further distance.

Edited by crissy_jo 2013-08-07 9:31 PM
2013-08-08 5:24 AM

User image

None of the above reasons seem to explain a 10-mile difference. Maybe 1-2% difference, but not 10%.

I glanced at your 1-mile lap data in GC, and nothing looks that weird other than some slow miles near the beginning with no real elevation (miles 6-8- traffic lights maybe?). Otherwise nothing looks weird-- for example, no really long miles that should be more distance if the GPS was lost.

I don't really know how Strava is processing the data, but it must be doing something differently. I would tend to trust the GC interpretation of the data as more reliable.

In any case, that looks like an awesome century ride.
2013-08-08 12:23 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

None of the above reasons seem to explain a 10-mile difference. Maybe 1-2% difference, but not 10%.

I glanced at your 1-mile lap data in GC, and nothing looks that weird other than some slow miles near the beginning with no real elevation (miles 6-8- traffic lights maybe?). Otherwise nothing looks weird-- for example, no really long miles that should be more distance if the GPS was lost.

I don't really know how Strava is processing the data, but it must be doing something differently. I would tend to trust the GC interpretation of the data as more reliable.

In any case, that looks like an awesome century ride.

Yes, at the beginning there are some stop/go with intersections and with other people on a multiuse trail. It is a great ride. Beautiful country
2013-08-08 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Something isn't adding up. Just so we're clear, you said you uploaded the garmin file to Strava, so the source data is the same, correct? Not running Strava app on a phone.

I upload Garmin as well, in fact I used garminsync.com. They are NOT affiliated with either company, but figured out a way so files are automatically uploaded. I don't have anything to do with them either.

I checked a couple recent rides, they were pretty close distance-wise, but there were some differences in timing, which I don't get. Like a minute difference over a two-ish hour ride.

I have my 310XT set to auto-pause, It's set to "when stopped". Note you can set it to a custom speed.

Here's a guess on the differences in times; they use different speeds to determine what "stopped" is, Since Strava has to accept slightly different formats, they probably use their own algorithm from the raw data.

I noticed on my rides BIG differences in average power; like 60 W higher in Garmin vs. Strava. Strava may be using total elapsed time or something, or counting zero times. I have my Garmin not including zero for cadence and power, and Strava was lower than Garmin.

It would be interesting to do a test ride; one with a lot of stops, the other continuous. My guess is the more stops, the more error between the two sites. Maybe Garmin is calling you "stopped" sooner than Strava, and I guess it doesn't connect those dots between stopping and starting, so that distance gets chopped out.

2013-08-08 6:11 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Originally posted by tcj103

Something isn't adding up. Just so we're clear, you said you uploaded the garmin file to Strava, so the source data is the same, correct? Not running Strava app on a phone.

I upload Garmin as well, in fact I used garminsync.com. They are NOT affiliated with either company, but figured out a way so files are automatically uploaded. I don't have anything to do with them either.

I checked a couple recent rides, they were pretty close distance-wise, but there were some differences in timing, which I don't get. Like a minute difference over a two-ish hour ride.

I have my 310XT set to auto-pause, It's set to "when stopped". Note you can set it to a custom speed.

Here's a guess on the differences in times; they use different speeds to determine what "stopped" is, Since Strava has to accept slightly different formats, they probably use their own algorithm from the raw data.

I noticed on my rides BIG differences in average power; like 60 W higher in Garmin vs. Strava. Strava may be using total elapsed time or something, or counting zero times. I have my Garmin not including zero for cadence and power, and Strava was lower than Garmin.

It would be interesting to do a test ride; one with a lot of stops, the other continuous. My guess is the more stops, the more error between the two sites. Maybe Garmin is calling you "stopped" sooner than Strava, and I guess it doesn't connect those dots between stopping and starting, so that distance gets chopped out.

Good thoughts. I don't believe I have my 310xt to autostop...i've never set it up that way, unless there is a factory default. I did make 3 stops to fill bottles with liquid but stopped my watch each time.

I should have been more clear, i used garminsync.com as well using the auto upload feature just as you do. Still doesn't make sense. On another 100 mile ride the difference is off by .4 miles. On an 81 mile ride, off by .1 miles, a 76 miler off by .3 miles, a 58 miler off by .02. All similar in their start/stops and nothing that would indicate a trend that if you extrapolated it out should result in a 10 mile difference.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strava vs. Garmin Connect Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Confusion: Garmin Connect vs Training Peaks??

Started by tigers75
Views: 5594 Posts: 10

2013-07-15 3:59 PM siouxcityhawk

Garmin Courses with Strava Segments

Started by kilgoretrout
Views: 2964 Posts: 2

2013-05-27 4:45 PM jeng

Strava Run vs. Garmin Connect

Started by Tparkin
Views: 5894 Posts: 13

2013-02-09 3:00 PM mroger82

Garmin Connect and Forerunner 305

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 1951 Posts: 5

2008-08-26 9:53 AM TriRSquared

Garmin Connect Rollout Delayed

Started by wingsfan
Views: 2076 Posts: 2

2008-05-19 9:38 PM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.