General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero road bike vs Tri Bike, Need your WISDOM! Rss Feed  
Moderators: jmk-brooklyn, Ron Reply
2013-08-11 7:36 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Aero road bike vs Tri Bike, Need your WISDOM!
I know that there have been a lot of discussions and comparisons between tribikes and roadies, but I would imagine that the gap is smaller with an AERO Roadie.

What do the big brains of BT think?

2013-08-11 7:41 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Aero road bike vs Tri Bike, Need your WISDOM!
TT bike is faster with the same rider and proper fit on both bikes.

if i were to own one though it would be the roadie due to versatility.
2013-08-11 8:13 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
I own both right now.

Treks
Madone 5.2 and Speed Concept 7.2

I am thinking about selling both and getting one bad Di2 pimped out Aero Roadie.
2013-08-11 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
go for it. i would much rather have a very nice road bike than a mid grade TT and road bike.

i'd be a liar if i said i wasn't dreaming of the new scott addict with SRAM red.
2013-08-11 8:41 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Silver member
Originally posted by pga_mike

I own both right now.

Treks

I am thinking about selling both and getting one bad Di2 pimped out Aero Roadie.

Confucius once say: "If getting your dream roadie motivates you to ride harder, longer, more often, and have more fun, then you've made the right decision."
2013-08-11 9:07 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pga_mike I own both right now. Treks Madone 5.2 and Speed Concept 7.2 I am thinking about selling both and getting one bad Di2 pimped out Aero Roadie.

The benefits of a TT bike are really more about the aero position of the rider, than they are about the bike.  Sure, the bike is part of the equation - but it's the smaller part.  Getting your body out of the wind, and doing it in a way to keep your hip angle open so that you don't lose too much power is the trick of the TT bike.  Being in a roadie position on a really aero frame isn't nearly as good as being on a round tubed TT bike with a good body position.

I've got a decent carbon Orbea with full DuraAce.  I never ride it anymore since I got my Felt B10 with Di2.  Since with Di2 and dual position shifting, you can ride and shift on the hoods, or ride and shift on the aerobars.  So- your TT bike IS a road bike.

So- instead of getting one pimped out Aero Roadie, instead, get one pimped out Tri Bike.  !!!

2013-08-11 9:35 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by pga_mike I own both right now. Treks Madone 5.2 and Speed Concept 7.2 I am thinking about selling both and getting one bad Di2 pimped out Aero Roadie.

The benefits of a TT bike are really more about the aero position of the rider, than they are about the bike.  Sure, the bike is part of the equation - but it's the smaller part.  Getting your body out of the wind, and doing it in a way to keep your hip angle open so that you don't lose too much power is the trick of the TT bike.  Being in a roadie position on a really aero frame isn't nearly as good as being on a round tubed TT bike with a good body position.

I've got a decent carbon Orbea with full DuraAce.  I never ride it anymore since I got my Felt B10 with Di2.  Since with Di2 and dual position shifting, you can ride and shift on the hoods, or ride and shift on the aerobars.  So- your TT bike IS a road bike.

So- instead of getting one pimped out Aero Roadie, instead, get one pimped out Tri Bike.  !!!

x2

An aero road bike is probably going to be 0-0.1 mph faster than a traditional road bike.  And if a properly fitted TT bike is usually about 1-1.5 mph faster than a traditional road bike...so, you can do the math for yourself.  The TT bike is all about the way it positions the rider.  It's why a properly fitted aluminum P2SL will still be faster in a TT than a S5 with normal road bars.  The difference in frame aerodynamics is very minimal, but it can make a difference.

Some of the top sprinters will use an aero road bike for stages they expect to be a bunch finish because those minor aero advantages will make a difference...especially at top end speed.  But it's not like teams who have access to aero road bikes like the S5 or the AR1 are dropping everyone else with traditional road bikes because they are so much faster.  Weight isn't even an issue for pro riders either since they generally all have their bikes weigh in at the UCI minimum.

If your goal is to consolidate to just one bike, and you don't want a tri bike anymore, then an aero road bike with Di2 is a pretty sweet option.  But if your goal is to go as fast as possible over various types of riding, including tris...then it's probably not a wise decision.

I understand that not everyone is out there for speed and we do this for enjoyment...so go with what makes you happy and want to ride.

2013-08-11 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Originally posted by pga_mike

I own both right now.

Treks

My guess is that you'll take a huge depreciation hit on reselling both bikes, and net net you might just be better off refitting DI2 to your Madone. And the best answer to "tri bike or road bike" is ALWAYS "both!!"
2013-08-12 9:58 AM

There was an article about this a while back. The results were somewhat surprising.

They tested wind tunnel and track (Nascar track I think).

They found that the difference between a road frame (round tube) and TT frame was the same as the difference between a road helmet and aero helmet. In other words the TT frame ridden with a road helmet was the same drag wise as a road frame with an aero helmet. Now....THE BIG KEY here is they achieved an IDENTICAL RIDER POSITION on each the TT and road frame. So rider position is key. It's not necessarily easy to get into an ideal TT position on a road frame.

So if you are going to buy a new aero road frame and get yourself into a good TT position you are in good shape. Ideal? Maybe not, but it will work and work well.
2013-08-12 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
wait... are we talking about having LESS bikes at the end of the day? I don't like this line of thinking...

Now if we're talking about adding another bike, I'm on board.

For a real answer... it depends a lot on you, how steep/lax you ride your Speed Concept, how aggressive you ride the madone, and what aero bike you are looking at.

If I was FORCED to have only 1 bike for road and tri duty... I'd probably take an S5 and get really good at swapping cockpits fast. Not the easiest to live with solution, but you'd be fast on the road and in a tt.

That said, if squeezing every second out of the ride isn't priority #1 (and for some unthinkable reason the n+1=n solution isn't working) then an aero roadie with some clips and a good fit is a good medium.

But really... you have a Madone and a Speed Concept...
2013-08-12 2:22 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap ... But really... you have a Madone and a Speed Concept...

^^^  Chris makes a solid point here.

I'd go searching around the interwebs for a good deal on an ultegra Di2 setup and put in on whatever bike you ride more.  (then again, put it on whatever bike you want to ride more, as whatever has Di2 on it... you'll want to be on)

2013-08-13 3:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

The Heeb, UT
So a twist on OP's question. As a preamble, I'm primarily a (recreational, occasionally competitive) roadie who dabbles in Tri. I have a crappy tri bike with a solid position (Motobecane Nemesis), and a pretty nice aero road bike with standard road geometry(Scott Foil). I've got an Oly in October that consists initially of fast rolling hills with a 9 mile/1300 foot climb at the end.

I feel like I can climb (particularly out of the saddle) far more efficiently on the Foil with a standard road fit, but if I were to try to hack a tri fit, I'd lose much of that efficiency due to the shorter reach, steeper effective SA, etc. (on a sliding scale, depending upon how aggressive I tried to go). Comparatively speaking, I'm not nearly as comfortable climbing on the tri bike - seated or standing - as I can't stretch out to the degree that I have become accustomed to.

So with the above in mind, and anticipating that I'd mount ITU style shorty aero bars on the Scott if I race it, would the aero gains of the tri bike over the rollers likely outweigh the lessened climbing efficiency (to say nothing of the 6ish pound weight difference) as compared to the road rig?

SYJ

Edited by syjenkins 2013-08-13 3:19 AM
2013-08-13 4:40 AM
in reply to: syjenkins

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
My first thought is that your position isn't so solid on the Nemesis. You can't stretch out as much as you do on a Foil?
2013-08-14 11:13 AM
in reply to: 0

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/how-aero-is-aero-19273/

I think that's the link you could be referring to. The OP would do well to read it.

Fit is key; at this point, getting a better tri or road bike isn't going to offset a variable like hydration or nutrition the day of the race. Or wind. Or tire pressure.

Or fatigue from training. Or temperature.

And for the real meat of the article;

Tarmac SL2 | road helmet | drop bars 0.310 40.10 306.6
Tarmac SL2 | road helmet | clip-on aero bars 0.267 40.27 268.6
Tarmac SL2 | TT2 helmet | clip-on aero bars 0.256 40.38 261.0
Transition | road helmet | aero bars 0.265 40.17 262.9
Transition | TT2 helmet | aero bars 0.230 40.05 229.0

1) Ave CdA
2) Speed (km/h)
3) Wattage

So from that study, MORE DRAG with a road bike, clip ons, and a TT helmet. Less by 1 gram than a TT bike with a regular road helmet.

Now you'd have to do research and calculate differences in drag from your TT bike and theirs, along with your and their helmet to see if that translates, but I would assume it should.

Also, frontal area of the rider; there are programs out there that'll do all this for you as soon as you feed it the numbers though.

Edited by FlacVest 2013-08-14 11:16 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero road bike vs Tri Bike, Need your WISDOM! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aero road bikes vs non aero road bikes

Started by gzh6464
Views: 5458 Posts: 13

2013-05-16 10:57 PM alexlhh

road bike w/ aero bars vs. tri bike Pages: 1 2

Started by bigrosie
Views: 6241 Posts: 42

2010-06-14 2:26 AM spudone

How Aero is Aero (road bike with clip ons vs TT etc)

Started by rc63413
Views: 303 Posts: 2

2010-04-13 2:08 PM Dlaxman31

Tri Bike vs. Road Bike (expert advice needed)

Started by strojny06
Views: 1171 Posts: 25

2009-08-19 10:45 AM Global

Hybrid vs Road bikes vs tri bike and the trainer

Started by chirunner134
Views: 281 Posts: 3

2006-11-30 9:23 AM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : ahohl
comments : 1
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.