General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Downtown Denver Run and Swim.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-23 6:37 PM

New user

Subject: Downtown Denver Run and Swim....
Hey Folks!
I will be going to Denver (downtown, staying at the Magnolia Hotel) for 3 days next week (M, T, fly out W)...

Any suggestions on where to run? Where to swim? Not sure I will have access to a car, so it should be close if possible or I can use public transit. Swimming does not have to be Masters, and I am a YMCA member...

Thanks!!!!

Ken

2006-07-23 7:32 PM
in reply to: #490524

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Downtown Denver Run and Swim....
Hey there!

Yes, there is a YMCA closeby. I think its on 16th and Lincoln, or maybe 17th. I personally don't use it, but think I remember friends telling me there is a pool there. Other gyms with pools in the downtown area are ACDP (Athletic Club at Denver Place... guest entry is $15), and DAC (Denver Athletic Club (much nicer, not sure of guest fees.)

For runs, you are in a great location to go any number of ways. Depending on the distance you want, I would jump on Cherry Creek Trail and head east. Its sub-street level, multi-use path, and is frequented by runners and cyclist... also several homeless in the early AM so keep your wits about you. Take CC trail as far south east as you want, you could go as far as 22 miles to Cherry Creek Reservoir if you needed ;-). The entire way with only one traffic stop, which is so nice in a city.

Another great run, that would be about maybe 7-9 from your hotel would be to get on 16th Street and head east again. Take 16th street all the way to the highschool and two blocks north (left) you'll see City Park. Loop around City Park (3.5 miles), most of it is dirt trail. You'll pass Museum of Natural History, City Park Golf Course, and will see terrific views of downtown with the front range in the backdrop.

Two other fun parks to run to are Cheeseman and Washington Park. Both accessable by taking CC Trail and then heading north to get to Cheeseman or south to be to Wash Park. Check out mapmyrun.com for directions.

Enjoy your visit!
2006-07-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #490524

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Downtown Denver Run and Swim....
Actually my understanding is that the Y doesn't have a pool. I work about 3 blocks from there and was going to join until I found out that news. I would still recommend looking into running down on the Cherry Creek Trail. It is very nice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Downtown Denver Run and Swim.... Rss Feed