70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 02m 36s
Overall Rank = 434/1443
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 52/183
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3:15 to get ready and drive to the event

Breakfast as a bottle of Gatorade and half a bad of hostess chocolate donuts.
Event warmup:

Not much warmup needed for 90 mile race, when the first 10-15 miles are done in a group.
Bike
  • 4h 02m 36s
  • 90 miles
  • 22.31 mile/hr
Comments:

The race started slow as usually with the wave not organizing until mile 10. I just stayed about a third back in the wave, getting into the pace; though it was stop and go for the first 5-10 miles as riders fell into position.

At around mile 20, started working up to the head of the lead group of the wave and take a pull at the front around mile 30. Several other riders taking their turn up front.

At mile 45 is the challenge of the hill in High Cliff Part, which felt better than last year but is still a challenge to climb conformably. At the top of the hill, I finished a bottle of Gatorade and picked up another at the bottle exchange.

Back on the road, the group came back together and started picking up the pace back to around 22 mph. As the group would fall back to around 18mph, I would work myself back to the front to push the pace a little. This continued until mile 65, I lost focus and lost contact with the group.

The remainder of the race was completed on my own as I worked through individual riders from earlier waves. The worst came around mile 75, when both quads started to cramp, though luckily I was able to pedal through it until they were loose again.

I did pickup another rider around mile 80 to assist with the final miles to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Need to pace better with the group and not take the lead as often.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the team tent and ate some snacks and drank a number of waters.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough long rides in training due to traveling for work. The longest rides in training were 65-70 and that is where I hit the wall.

Last updated: 2012-12-27 12:00 AM
Biking
04:02:36 | 90 miles | 22.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 53/183
Overall: 434/1443
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 9:51 PM

Subject: Ganther Race the Lake
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ganther Race the Lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Run Club Circuit Race #7 - The Lake Run

Started by laurarunz
Views: 1048 Posts: 1

2006-07-06 12:34 AM laurarunz

Delavan Lake Triathlons and Adventure Races

Started by nccgrap
Views: 1264 Posts: 4

2006-06-07 8:55 AM CindyK

Suseong Lake Daegu Triathlon Race

Started by odindoggy
Views: 1088 Posts: 1

2006-05-15 6:03 AM odindoggy

Salem Lake 10k Trail Race

Started by jkbostic
Views: 1349 Posts: 8

2005-09-28 2:21 AM snikpos

Y-TRI @ Randolph Lake B-Race

Started by jmf-tt
Views: 988 Posts: 5

2005-07-18 6:39 PM jmf-tt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.