Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I've found it! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-06 11:16 PM

User image

Regular
Normal, Illinois
Subject: I've found it!
Okay, so the perfect way to train for an open water swim without having access to open water:
1. Public pool with lanes attached to main pool area, so you get the chop effect pushing you into the lane lines from 150 individual little fluorescent-clad kids belly-flopping right next to you.
2. Because of that same feature, you have to watch running into the other triathletes (oops, kids) that jump into your lane to "train" or "make you worry they're going to start sinking in your lane and you haven't had safety training in a while...".
3. Make sure you swim in a lane that the pool designers designated to create the current for the entire pool by putting a high-powered jet at one end, in the middle of the lane.
4. Always, always, wear foggy goggles so you can't see the kids jumping into the lane, the people swimming across it, or your hands in front of you.

I decided the public pool was a great place to train today, seriously, using these reasons. Happy swimming, everyone! :-)

2004-07-07 1:05 PM
in reply to: #35701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Subject: RE: I've found it!
you forgot our "elders" who just stand there and chit-chat instead of going to socialize at the coffee shop
2004-07-07 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
I've ran into my share of "elders" who magically appear in the swim lanes and walk in place.
2004-07-07 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Normal, Illinois
That's true, I also didn't mention the wonderful, slightly overweight breast-stroking "elder" in the aqua speedo in the lane next to me. :-)
2004-07-07 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
i'm self concious enoug wearing a speedo NOW and i'm only 20... i hope i dont turn into one of those 'elders'..... (unless of course i'm a very fit elder swimming/biking/running faster than all those young'ns)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I've found it! Rss Feed