General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-04 10:19 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Cycling question
I have seen a number of posts and recommendations for books on swimming (TI - Terry Laughlin) and running (Galloway's book on Running) but I have not seen anything on cycling. Am I to just go out and ride, put in the miles/time and through that I will get better?
It seems that they have structure to swim workouts and running work outs but again I haven't seen anything on cycling workouts.
It is getting to the point that my outdoor riding will be limited (expecting 6-8 inches of snow tonight/Friday) so I went to the gym this week and used one of the spinning bikes to ride at a high cadence ~80 for 20 minutes. Is this good? Is this not enough? I have no idea how often to ride the stationary bike per week or per session. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

PS: I will say that I haven't incorported cycling into my training full go yet. I needed to work on my swimmimg (my known weakness) first along with my weigh lifting and running. Next (this month) I need to incorporate my biking in so at the first of the year I will be training for the upcoming season rather than be just in the base building phase. Of course I could be way off in my planning. I haven't built much of a base in swimmimg but lessons start this Saturday

2003-12-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2274

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Subject: RE: Cycling question
Rio,

I don't know about any recomended cycling books. I do know that in the back of Friel's Triathlon Training Bible there are cycling workouts for different emphasis of training. One other thing you can do for cycle training is getting an indoor trainer that your bike mounts to. This way you can cycle in your house with the bicycle that you are planning on racing with. I do these workouts routinely. You can also acquire workout tapes such as "Spinervals" that have structured workouts in them, much like aerobics tapes. The reason I find riding at my house easiest is because I have problems having time getting to the gym. At times I will cycle in my house early in the morning (about 5am) or late at night (after 9:30pm) when the gym is closed. Also, in my own livingroom I can cycle as long as I want without getting those stares that I would sometimes get from people wanting to use the bike. Last week I put in a roughly 2 hr ride while watching a movie in my living room.

Indoor trainers range in price but generally you can pick one up cheaper ones on ebay for as little as $50 (plus about $20 shipping). The spinervals tapes cost around $15 used.
2003-12-04 12:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks, I have thought about a trainer and started reading up on them. I think it eventually came down to analysis paralysis. They all kind of had there pro's and con's. Fluid, magnetic, fan.....I see the differences but as a rookie in the sport who wants the best of everything it is a hard decision. Do I spend the money.
I have currently a Sears special mountain bike that cost maybe $200 with big ole' nobby tires on it that I am borrowing. I have thought I would use this in my first race with different tires and then buy a new nice bike as a reward for training/racing. However, I ride with a guy once a week who bought a decent road bike and I can't keep within a 1/4 mile of him and I know I am a stronger rider. So I may get a bike this spring as a reward for the winter training and go into the race with something better than what I have.
A question I would have on the trainers would be.....does it matter which one I get as long as I am doing something? Will it work with my mountain bike? What are you using?
2003-12-04 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2280

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Mate Im using a Cyclops fluid trainer, and yes trainers will work with a mountain bike. A point to note though trainers will eventually wear down your tires, so if you have a spare rear wheel, as I do, then use that for the trainer. Fluid trainers offer good resistance, and are the middle market product for trainers, more towards the top end. Have you thought about slicks for you bike, you will get more speed than ye good old nobbys.

Craig
2003-12-04 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2280

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-12-04 1:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I have thought about getting slicks for the bike. It is just a matter of taking the time to go and get them. Part of it is that I don't really know much about the bike to find out what tire size ect that I need. It is on my to do list along with a bike computer.

Thanks for the link Lara....I will let you know when/if I get one what I think.

2003-12-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2289

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Simple solution buddy. Take a tire into the shop, or the whole bike. Also tire size are printed on the side wall of the tire itself. Bike computers vary in price, Im using a Sigma, cost around $90 AUS D, bugger all for you guys

Craig
2003-12-04 3:38 PM

Champion
Gold member
trisports is starting to write article for us about products...the first this month is indoor cycling training at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/gear.htm
2003-12-04 5:32 PM

New user

Nowra, Australia
Hi, I am using a fluid trainer, I forget the brand, 'Hydro something' :-O (sorry). But anyway, I love it. There has been so many occasions when I haven't felt like riding on the road, going to gym etc. It simulates riding a bike and is very convenient. I can't really tell you the difference between magnetic and air etc, but I am very happy with the fluid trainer. I feel it is worth the money.

Regards Elke
2003-12-05 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2294

Veteran
hrmmm...where to start.

Trainers.....I guess I am sort of a used trainer junky. I currently own 3 even though 2 of them are the same types. First I got a mag trainer and liked it pretty well (from ebay.) I moved it to my GF house when I bought what I heard was one of the best trainers there were, but very expensive. This trainer has a centrifical clutch and is made by 1up. I think this is overkill for a beginner in quality, cost, and available resistance. I told my bro that I had a spare and let him borrow the mag trainer(cyclops mag) then found that I missed working out in my own house but still wanted to leave my other trainer at my GF's. I bought a fan trainer (inline). This provided plenty of resistance but was a bit noisy at higher speeds. I was frustrated with the fan so I bought another mag trainer(minoura). I really like the mags and the centrifical clutch resistance. All that I have tried provide plenty of resistance even in middle chainring/15 on my road bike.

Tires....most mountain bike tires are the same 26". I bought slicks for my mtn bike at Walmart for about $6-8 each.

Computers......I had a few, then went to the one I have now. I wanted something with cadence and preferred something with a rear wheel speed pickup. I bought a cateye astrale 7. It costs about $30-40 and provides the basics...plus it allows me to ride my trainer and still get all the info. They sell these new on ebay with a buyit now feature. Caution though the Astrale 8 has the front wheel pickup I believe. Somepeople reviewed the Astrales poorly because of them going nutty when they got wet, but I haven't taken mine out of my livingroom so I really don't know.

I got in a 3 hour ride lastnight while watching 2 towers........it is kind of nutty riding for 48 miles but never leaving your livingroom.
2003-12-05 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2341

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2003-12-09 6:20 AM
in reply to: #2342

Veteran

To make the "tour de living room" events a little more exciting, sometimes I make them duathlon tours. I will run for 30 min (outside, I don't currently have a treadmill), then bike for 30 min, then run for 30 min.....etc. I think it should help with my transition times also. So far this training year (started in September) I have put in about 400 miles in my living room......I really need to be putting in alot more.

Thanks Lara

Craig
2003-12-10 6:47 PM

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Love the duathalon idea myself. I have had a mag trainer for years collecting dust and just brush it off. On the topic of treadmills I have found many pepole use them as cloths hangers. I have aquired two plus a "universal" weight set for the total price of $50 and having to remove them myself. The secret I have found is networking. Let people know your looking for one for short money and you may be surrprised at the results. Also do not be afraid of the want adds. Just make sure you can run on the thing. The first one I got was walking only and will be going into this years yard sale. Good luck.

Joe
2003-12-11 4:19 AM
in reply to: #2455

Veteran
Just like you said that alot of people use treadmills for clothes hangers, I have heard of alot of people using trainers basically as expensive bike stands. Exercise equipment seems to be one of the areas that you can find great deals on used stuff. I would guess this is because people always have good intentions of using the equipment but fail to follow through after they acquire it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling question Rss Feed