General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Helmet Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-24 9:10 AM

User image

Subject: Helmet Question
Hi Everyone,

Recently suffered a concussion (softball related) and it got me wondering about my bike helmet. I still am using my wal-mart special. So my question is this. What is the difference is there in helmets and safety? Does my wal-mart special protect me as well since as long as I have it fitting tight, or is there some basic diferences that I am unaware of?

Thanks,

Keith "Still a little dazed" Morgan

2006-07-24 1:38 PM
in reply to: #490927

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Helmet Question
When you say "still", does that mean it's been quite a while since it was new? Helmets don't last forever, and the styrofoam will break down over time, especially with exposure to UV (sunlight) and heat (as in being inside a car on a warm day). 3 years is a good life, less if you ride "a lot" (though no one has ever been able to say exactly what "a lot" is). So while that Wally World helmet may have met the exact same safety standards as the top end Giro's when it was new, it might be a good idea to replace it anyway.
2006-07-24 5:25 PM
in reply to: #491364

User image

thanks...hadn't thought about the uv damage and the fact that they were out. Think it is time to get a new one.
2006-07-25 11:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
i agree with briderdt, helmets do wear out. most helmets will meet the minimum standards, basically some more expensive helmets will have better airflow and more adjustability.
2006-07-26 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
I believe all bicycle helmets have to meet a standard "All of them manufactured after 1999 must meet the CPSC standard by law to be sold in the US" IF they do, then they should be safe, if they do not then they should have a disclaimer like those cheap plastic baseball helmets you buy at the game.

Anyway, there is supposed to be a "life span" for a helmet, but I have no idea what that is. I'm thinking now that I need a new one. Anyway, any helmet should be safe in an impact, but how they fit, where they tie and most of them have a strap at the back now that holds your head in better. As for price, price goes up with weight, style, aerodynamics, etc..

I'm not an expert, but just my $.02
2006-07-26 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Its also not an area where you should be cheap, IMHO.  Get one that fits well, is comfortable and suits your needs.  If you don't want to wear it or don't wear it properly then its effectiveness at keeping your head in one piece becomes significantly less.  I wince when I see bikers wearing their helmets way on the back of their heads for whatever reason.  If they took a header they could be as or more injured than if they weren't wearing one at all.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Helmet Question Rss Feed