2013-08-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Syria
Originally posted by tuwood

Kerry: Chemical Weapons 'Undeniable'

Well, this is about to get interesting.

Yep - no chance the US will be smart enough to stay out of this mess.

2013-08-26 4:22 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Elite
Boise
Now we can have the full Bush = Obama debate since they are both going to start an unnecessary war.
2013-08-26 4:59 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by JoshR Now we can have the full Bush = Obama debate since they are both going to start an unnecessary war.

unnecessary war over WMD's to boot.

I am encouraged though...   POLL: 9% support military action...

2013-08-26 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by JoshR Now we can have the full Bush = Obama debate since they are both going to start an unnecessary war.

Maybe we could model our response to the George H.W. Bush plan.  Inform our allies, garner worldwide support, establish exactly what the objective is and have a comprehensive withdrawl plan.  

Does the U.S. continue to be a world LEADER or do we shy away from the messy, complicated events that unfold?

2013-08-26 6:30 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Maybe we could model our response to the George H.W. Bush plan.  Inform our allies, garner worldwide support, establish exactly what the objective is and have a comprehensive withdrawl plan.  

Does the U.S. continue to be a world LEADER or do we shy away from the messy, complicated events that unfold?

So, which side do we support?  OK, the regime used chemical weapons so we side with the other guys by default.  OK, even then, which "other guy" do we support?
Free Syrian Army?
Syrian Liberation Front?
Syrian Islamic Front?
Jabhat al-Nusra?

The "liberation" elements are fighting each other as much as they are the Syrian regime.

So even if we do build an H.W. Bush coalition we will still be providing 75% or more of the total assets and paying likely a much higher financial cost.  Then when the initial fighting is over, who do we put in charge?  If we have free elections they'll put in a hard core anti-West leader.  So, essentially if we get involved there is a very high probability that we'll be occupying Syria for at least another decade or more with them murdering our soldiers on a regular basis.

The big difference between Iraq (v2), Afghanistan, and Egypt (indirectly) was that we came in to replace their government.  With the first Iraq war we left the dictator in place.  So when we backed out he came back in with his iron fist and kept the hostile elements in check.

If it were a simple, they took something over, so lets go get it back type action I'm more in line with you.  However, when it comes to nation building and multi-decade engagements that don't benefit anyone (including the people who are liberated), I take a much more passive stance.

2013-08-26 9:27 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
I don't care. Sorry. When the people get tired of getting gassed, then the people can rise up. Perhaps at some point they will get tired of following violent dictators. Perhaps the global community can embargo the oil, and stop financing their violent dictatorships. Perhaps those that live in the region, will get tired of violent actions and not getting paid, and the people in the region can exert pressure to get their neighbors to act right. I just don't care anymore. And people getting gassed is in no way any different to people getting shot, maimed, and killed and exiled into poverty by their leaders. People suffer and die every single day all over the world. Same goes for Egypt.
2013-08-26 9:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman I don't care. Sorry. When the people get tired of getting gassed, then the people can rise up. Perhaps at some point they will get tired of following violent dictators. Perhaps the global community can embargo the oil, and stop financing their violent dictatorships. Perhaps those that live in the region, will get tired of violent actions and not getting paid, and the people in the region can exert pressure to get their neighbors to act right. I just don't care anymore. And people getting gassed is in no way any different to people getting shot, maimed, and killed and exiled into poverty by their leaders. People suffer and die every single day all over the world. Same goes for Egypt.

I read Jeff's post and I thought, damn right!  Then I read this ^ and I thought, you know what, I don't care either.  I think in the end I don't care if everyone over there gases each other to extinction......I'm sick of it. 

Really, what the hell CAN we do?  Fire off a few dozen rockets and kill some women and children of our own?  I'm trying to figure out how the entire planet wouldn't be better off with the whole region blown the hell up.

I don't want to feel that way, I want to feel like Jeff does......but there is a limit to what I'm willing to put up with and care about as an individual.....I'm about there.  Fork it.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-26 10:00 PM
2013-08-27 7:19 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
I'm not sure why the US needs to be considered the police of the world. 
2013-08-27 7:43 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by powerman I don't care. Sorry. When the people get tired of getting gassed, then the people can rise up. Perhaps at some point they will get tired of following violent dictators. Perhaps the global community can embargo the oil, and stop financing their violent dictatorships. Perhaps those that live in the region, will get tired of violent actions and not getting paid, and the people in the region can exert pressure to get their neighbors to act right. I just don't care anymore. And people getting gassed is in no way any different to people getting shot, maimed, and killed and exiled into poverty by their leaders. People suffer and die every single day all over the world. Same goes for Egypt.

I read Jeff's post and I thought, damn right!  Then I read this ^ and I thought, you know what, I don't care either.  I think in the end I don't care if everyone over there gases each other to extinction......I'm sick of it. 

Really, what the hell CAN we do?  Fire off a few dozen rockets and kill some women and children of our own?  I'm trying to figure out how the entire planet wouldn't be better off with the whole region blown the hell up.

I don't want to feel that way, I want to feel like Jeff does......but there is a limit to what I'm willing to put up with and care about as an individual.....I'm about there.  Fork it.

I agree with both of you.  It's a really complicated mess with no "good" options.  However, and I still don't know if this is enough of a reason to go in, but the "bad guys" (those Syrians fighting for an Islamist outcome) are heavily supported and well financed.  Where do we draw the line of what we do and don't get involved in, and what are the possible long-term ramifications for not getting involved?

Thomas Friedman is my go-to for many things, but he is particularly well versed on the cluster-fach that is the Middle-East. A recent piece of his on Syria.  If you haven't read it, his Hot, Flat and Crowded is an excellent book. 

2013-08-27 7:56 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
But, but, Obama said, "If they cross the red line.".......

2013-08-27 8:03 AM

User image

Elite

Ya, and Jeff's responce is "Viet Nam 101". Bush 1 took that off the shelf when Iraq INVADED Kuwait. That was a no brainer. We were not going after anyone, we were liberating Kuwait. And the rest of the world supported liberating Kuwait, and they ONLY supported it BECAUSE we were not going after Iraq. Bush 2 decided that was all horse hockey, and he really showed them. Undecided

The ONLY reason we care about that sand box is OIL. We finance their BS. IF the WORLD is tired of it, let the WORLD do something about it. And we can support our SHARE of that. Other than that, I don't care. And a oil boycott is about the only thing that will do anything... because it is appearant after about 50 years of covert, and overt operations that military action has accomplished nothing.

I'm not into revisionist history. The flow of cheap easy oil has benefitted us greatly. After WWII we got into Saudi Arabia and it has paid. But at this point, it isn't worth it. The US most certainly CAN get off M.E. oil. it only supplies 25% of our oil. We get the other 25% from Canada and S. America, and 50% right here from home. It will be a hard cut, and the rest of the world can buy it up... but we most certainly can do it. And nobody has even tried... except give wonderful speeches on the subject. Let China deal with it if they want the oil.

2013-08-27 8:20 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

The crappy part is every one of us feel terrible about the innocence in harms way over there.  It kills me to see images of those children going through what they are simply because of where they were born.

However, as the others have said, what can we do?  Even if we take over the country completely and try to impose the "american way" on them, it will be rejected heartily and they will want to kill us even more because we're the oppressors at that point.  If we take out one regime and replace it with another, it will likely be worse than it is today.

It's a lose lose situation and unfortunately the innocent will suffer the most no matter what we do.

I know we argue back and forth about our civil rights in this country and what this one means or that one means, but take a step back and appreciate what we do have.  Even with all our flaws and disagreements, America was an idea born out of oppression like what the middle east is facing today.

2013-08-27 8:51 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by KateTri1

I'm not sure why the US needs to be considered the police of the world. 

Because Team America world Police was a great movie. If we were not the world police we never would have had such great work.
2013-08-27 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Originally posted by powerman

Ya, and Jeff's responce is "Viet Nam 101". Bush 1 took that off the shelf when Iraq INVADED Kuwait. That was a no brainer. We were not going after anyone, we were liberating Kuwait. And the rest of the world supported liberating Kuwait, and they ONLY supported it BECAUSE we were not going after Iraq. Bush 2 decided that was all horse hockey, and he really showed them. Undecided

The ONLY reason we care about that sand box is OIL. We finance their BS. IF the WORLD is tired of it, let the WORLD do something about it. And we can support our SHARE of that. Other than that, I don't care. And a oil boycott is about the only thing that will do anything... because it is appearant after about 50 years of covert, and overt operations that military action has accomplished nothing.

I'm not into revisionist history. The flow of cheap easy oil has benefitted us greatly. After WWII we got into Saudi Arabia and it has paid. But at this point, it isn't worth it. The US most certainly CAN get off M.E. oil. it only supplies 25% of our oil. We get the other 25% from Canada and S. America, and 50% right here from home. It will be a hard cut, and the rest of the world can buy it up... but we most certainly can do it. And nobody has even tried... except give wonderful speeches on the subject. Let China deal with it if they want the oil.

So if I played the Devil's Advocate; would the US respond to a chemical attack by Brazil, or...Canada illicit with the same 'We don't care' response attitude?  Or is it only those countries that are perceived as somehow 'beneath' the civility of the US?  Surprised

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-08-27 11:16 AM
2013-08-27 11:12 AM

User image

Pro

So if I played the Devil's Advocate; would the US respose to a chemical attack by Brazil, or...Canada illicit the same 'We don't care' response?  Or is it only those countries that are perceived as somehow 'beneath' the civility of the US?  Surprised

No, for me, it's mostly those countries whose citizens were seen dancing in the streets after 9/11.....I don't care about them.  But...I hope they're happy.  That counts for something, right?

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-27 11:13 AM

2013-08-27 11:25 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

So if I played the Devil's Advocate; would the US respose to a chemical attack by Brazil, or...Canada illicit the same 'We don't care' response?  Or is it only those countries that are perceived as somehow 'beneath' the civility of the US?  Surprised

Civil wars in other countries are not the business of the US, be it Syria, Canada or Brazil.  

Why such outrage with 1000+ people being killed in a chemical attach when Assad has already killed 100,000+ Syrians?   

2013-08-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by Hook'em

Civil wars in other countries are not the business of the US, be it Syria, Canada or Brazil.  

Why such outrage with 1000+ people being killed in a chemical attach when Assad has already killed 100,000+ Syrians?   

Because it's okay to shoot someone but not okay to spray them with chemicals or something like that.
2013-08-27 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

So it's a 'numbers' thing?   1000 folks dead, including infants, and we're, like, "Yeah, so what"!

What if the number was 5000? or 100,000?

What if we replaced "chemical" weapon with "nuclear".  Same effect, right?  What's the difference?

The question I'm trying to get at is.....WHAT type of global event does it take for the US to re-assert ourself as "World Police"?  Or do we even WANT that title anymore. 

2013-08-27 12:07 PM

User image

Elite

So if I played the Devil's Advocate; would the US respond to a chemical attack by Brazil, or...Canada illicit with the same 'We don't care' response attitude?  Or is it only those countries that are perceived as somehow 'beneath' the civility of the US?  Surprised

That does not make any sense.

Edited by powerman 2013-08-27 12:08 PM
2013-08-27 12:10 PM

User image

Elite

So it's a 'numbers' thing?   1000 folks dead, including infants, and we're, like, "Yeah, so what"!

What if we replaced "chemical" weapon with "nuclear".  Same effect, right?  What's the difference?

The question I'm trying to get at is.....WHAT type of global event does it take for the US to re-assert ourself as "World Police"?  Or do we even WANT that title anymore. 

You tell me... we stood by while tens of thousands were slaughtered in Darfur. But they don't have any oil... too bad for them.

2013-08-27 12:22 PM

New user
Like it or not it looks like we are going to do something. B52's from local airbase are headed to Guam. That is where they were positioned during the Gulf Wars.

Personally I feel we need to stay home. Its a civil war and there is no "good" side in this one.
2013-08-27 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

That does not make any sense.

If Canada gassed 5000 former Expos fans, would the US be drawing up a target list for cruise missles?  Or do we only rattle our military saber at contries whose population still lives in caves, or bedouin tents?

2013-08-27 12:39 PM

User image

Elite

If Canada gassed 5000 former Expos fans, would the US be drawing up a target list for cruise missles?  Or do we only rattle our military saber at contries whose population still lives in caves, or bedouin tents?

Canada actually shares a border with us. We have had a relationship with them going on about 250 years now. It is silly to think to propose a "what if" of Canada gassing it's population... because that is not going to happen.... and if they actually did loose their mind and do sucha  thing, we might be a little concerned with that since they are actually on our border.

So no... not even close to the same.

Why exactly does "America" have to be outraged over this? Why is Syria's neigbors not outraged over it? Why is the Muslim world not outraged over this? Until the people actually closest to the problem decide to "do something" about it... I fail to see why we should.

Or here is a grand idea... how about countries in the region ask for our assistance??? I know, shocking right!

Edited by powerman 2013-08-27 12:42 PM
2013-08-27 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

You tell me... we stood by while tens of thousands were slaughtered in Darfur. But they don't have any oil... too bad for them.

Yep, we did nothing and continue to do nothing in many cases. Hell, we did nothing in Syria when people were being slaughtered in lower numbers and by more traditional weapons.

If, IF, we are to be the World Police (yes, it was a great movie) then we should not be so selective about stepping in. Maybe we should be Tom Joad to the rest of the world:

Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Syria Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Syria - WWCOJD?

Started by ScudRunner
Views: 1862 Posts: 15

2013-05-07 6:32 PM ChineseDemocracy