General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Core Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-07 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
Subject: Core Training
Anyone out there know of any killer core (ab) workouts? Having a strong core improves EVERYTHING about training....and I'm coming along pretty slowly in that area!! =) Any ideas?

"I will not stop until I've suprised myself"

2004-07-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: #35742

Veteran
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Core Training
I like to do the situps where you touch your elbow to your knee. I try to do 3 sets of equal numbers. Then I will get in the push up position but rest my upper body on my forearms and hold myself up for a minute then rest 15 sec, then up for another minute then rest 10 sec, and one more minute. That one hurts real bad. I don't know if you work out at a gym or not but those big swiss balls can give you a challenging workout also.

Mike
2004-07-07 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
My core training leaves me wanting to die sometimes, but it really works. Let's see if I can explain it to you...

It consists of 5 exercises, done in sequence without rest. The first four you do for 30 seconds, the last one for one minute. After all 5 are done you can rest for a minute or something and then do another set, if you dare (I usually do 2 sets...once in a while when I'm on crack I do 4).

For the first exercise you are on your back, legs extended. You can put your hands under your tailbone for balance. Bring your knees to your chest, then your feet straight up (or sort of straight and sort of up), then back to your chest and then extended again. Then repeat. So far so good.

The second exercise is just bent-knee situps, hands touching your ears, bringing your elbows to the opposite knee. For the third one get in the position of the first one and just do flutter kicks.

The fourth is the most difficult. Lying on your back with your hands extended above your head, your supposed to lift your upper body and legs at the same time to make a V. I usually put my hands forward when I come up.

Finally, my favorite is the bridge. You get in a push-up position, sort of, with your elbows on the floor directly under your shoulders, and just hold it, as straight as you can, for a minute. Mind over matter on this one. The 5 exercises take 3 minutes. Piece of cake, right?

If you got through it once, you'll really feel it during the second circuit, particularly during the situps. But hey, no pain no gain.

At the risk of contradicting my above advice, I've also heard that the order you should do ab exercises is (1)lower abs, (2)obliques, (3)upper abs, because the upper abs will fatigue and screw up the other parts if they're exercised first. Hmm, I feel inspired, so I'm going to go do some core exercises right now!

-dave
2004-07-07 11:33 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
The current issue of Men's Health has an excellent article on eating right to improve your abs followed by a workout poster w/ some real good and different exercises. I've just started to incorporate some into my workout and I feel it. I recommend it.
2004-07-07 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Exercises that keep you just a wee bit off balance work very well. An inflatable balance ball works very well, for example. There are loads of core workouts that can be done on the ball, and with slight adjustments you can tailor the workout for beginners to experts. 
2004-07-07 5:26 PM

West Chicago
I also believe a strong core is a key to fitness. I do fifteen to twenty minutes of ab work three times a week. Abs, like any other muscle, need rest for recovery time or they will not strengthen (I mention this because there are many myths regarding abs, one of which is that it's okay to do them everyday.) Regular crunches are overrated. Doing a hundred or two hundred crunches is akin to doing one or two hundred reps of twenty pounds bench presses. While added reps will build some endurance, added weight is the most important component to building muscle.

Abs are not easy to build and will not suddenly pop out like some muscles. But they're in there lurking, looking for work and can be very helpful to most exercises such as swimming, running, and biking (what a coincidence!). There's an old saying that abs are not made in the gym, they're made in the kitchen. Simply put, the amount of body fat a person has will have a direct link to the visible or not so visible six-pack.

In any case, here are a few ab exercises. They can be done for reps or, as another poster mentioned, time. They can also be done with a slow, five count tempo, or quickly, with a zero tempo. The former builds strength and endurance, the latter is more geared toward developing explosive power. Here they are:

Weighted crunches (holding a weight plate or medicine ball in the chest). Works upper abs, with a bit of the lower abs.

Modified plank (assume the push-up position, then extend the left arm and right leg up off the floor; hold that position for a ten count, then do the opposite arm and leg). This exercise can also be done from the toes and elbows if the full push-up position is too difficult. Works the entire abdominal area.

Russian twists (bottom on floor, knees bent, feet a couple inches off the floor, back at 45 degree angle; make a fist with both hands and move the hands from side to side, arms extended, twisting at the waist). Each time the hands are all the way to one side is one rep. Tempo is important, as moving too fast will begin to pivot your bottom around in a circle. This exercise is made easier by keeping the feet touching the floor, or anchored by a partner or weight bench. It is made more difficult by holding a weight plate in both hands and moving the plate from side to side. Works the obliques very effectively.

Hanging leg raises (hang from a chin/pull bar and, with legs straight, lift legs to horizontal). Made easier by bending knees. Have to watch tempo and be careful to avoid swinging and using momentum. Works lower abs.

Toes to the sky (lie on back with knees straight and vertical; lift bottom off the floor and hold for ten count). You have to get used to the fact there you really only move a little bit in this exercise, an inch or two. But that's okay, that's what is intended. Works lower abs.

Side crunches (lie on side, twist waist and "crunch" up with hands touching ears, forehead, or behind head; repeat both sides). Here again you really don't move much. Works obliques.

Bicycle (lie on back, kness bent, hands touching ears or behind head; cycle knees and touch right elbow to left knee, then vice versa; avoid temptation to move quickly; a two-count tempo will maintain a good speed). Works entire ab area.

Modified V-sit-up or jackknife (lie on back, knees bent, weight or medicine ball on chest, raise knees and upper body at same time). Works upper and lower abs.

Incline leg raises (with head higher than feet, knees bent, raise knees and bottom up as far as possible). You probably have to hold your upper body down with your arms holding the top of a bench. Works lower abs.

And my favorite, wood choppers. Can be done with a cable machine or a dumbbell, start with weight over shoulder, move it down across body to opposite side adjacent to knee, then back up again. Do one set, then switch to other side. Twist at the waist and pivot the foot to avoid straining your knee. Works mostly obliques but with enough weight hits all the abs pretty well.

In all these exercises it's important to focus the work on the abdominal area, ensuring that you're tightening those mucles with each rep.

I have lots more but I type as slow as I swim so that's all I can offer for the time being. Good luck and have fun.

2004-07-07 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
I know some may laugh, but pilates is a super core workout. Even the short workouts (8 min or so) can knock your socks off! There are a lot of exercises that mildly throw off your balance and help strengthen your core. Plus, I find it a lot easier to complete a workout when someone is telling me what to do...OTHER than myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Core Training Rss Feed