General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heel spur question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-24 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: heel spur question
I think I have the beginnings of a calcaneul heel spur judging by some of the symptoms I have seen online. I stopped running soon enough where I don't think it is too serious. I blame it on poor stretching and early morning running. Any of you had these? How long should I wait befor trying to run again? For now I am stretching a couple times a day? Any other input would be appreciated.
Thanks
C

2006-07-24 12:41 PM
in reply to: #491227

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: heel spur question

Isn't a heel spur like a piece of bone that sticks out?  I don't think they heal up.  I have one of those on my heel that is very painful when I flex my foot while running.  I notice it mostly when I'm going up hill.  I've been running with it for a couple of years now, and all I do differently is to be sure that my footstrike is mid-foot or slightly to the front.  I run up hills slightly on my toes to avoid the 'zing' I get if I don't. 

Good luck with it, I'll be looking forward to leveraging to any other replies you get to this question.

2006-07-24 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Based on my own battle with plantar fasciitis and conversations with my podiatrist, here is what I know.

Heal spurs are related to the plantar fascia. If/when the pf get overstretched and pulls away from the heal bone, the body tried to compensate by building tissue between the bone and the fascia. This tissue is known as a heal spur and it shows up on an xray looking like a spur.

I'd strongly recommend going to see a podiatrist if you suspect that you have heal spurs.

Good luck.
2006-07-24 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I don't think the symptoms of a heel spur and plantar fasciitis are different.  The only way to tell if a heel spur is present is by taking a radiograph.  Some physicians question how relevant heel spurs are because a lot of people who have a heel spur on a radiograph have no syptoms.

If it turns out you have plantar fasciitis, here is a nice article that parallels very closely what my doctor told me about mine: http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2002/07_02/fields.htm

There is a section about when you can resume running.  In my case, I did not run for two months, but continued to bike, swim and use the elliptical machine.  I was not painfree when my doctor said I could return to running.  It took another 7 months for my symptoms to be 99.9% resolved (which is now).  Quite a journey to get the foot healed for sure. 

All different foot types can be affected with PF.  I have a relatively high arch with a very neutral foot strike so things like orthotics were not applicable to me.  Mine was caused by a very tight hamstring, calf, achilles tendon complex.  Lots of stretching was what got me on the road to recovery.  A sleeping sock helped a whole lot too.  This is not the case for everyone though.

Good luck with your foot.  I would say if it does not get better on its own in a couple weeks, you should see a doctor and make sure it is not something different.  As many of us with PF know, it can sometimes be a long journey to be pain free, but it can be done.

2006-07-24 10:07 PM

User image

Regular
I am seeing the podiatrist next Mon. I had plantar fasciitis 2 years ago, got orthotics and it went away. I then got the bright idea a couple months ago to stop wearing them when I got a new pr of $100 boots. Well I think that took some of the flex from my arch in conjunction with morn. running = sore heel. The thing is, when I had PF beforen the pain was on the back of my heel. Now the pain is in the front. I'll update you guys after my visit if anyone is interested.
Thanks
2006-08-03 12:24 PM

User image

Regular
Turns out it was the return of the dreaded plantar fasciitis. Result of trying to quit orthotics and run at same time- bad idea. I am swiiming and trying to stretch a lot.

2006-08-03 1:31 PM
in reply to: #501446

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl

cwiehle - 2006-08-03 1:24 PM Turns out it was the return of the dreaded plantar fasciitis. Result of trying to quit orthotics and run at same time- bad idea. I am swiiming and trying to stretch a lot.

When you start running again, I suggest picking up a pair of Superfeet (green) insoles. They are pricey 35-40 dollars, but well worth it. I transfer them from my running shoes to my work shoes everyday. Also be sure your heel isn't striking first, try for a mid-foot strike. Keep up with the stretches and freeze a water bottle and roll your foot on it for ten minutes every day. Worked great for me.

Edited by ROBIT79 2006-08-03 1:32 PM
2006-08-03 3:03 PM
in reply to: #501572

User image

Regular
ROBIT79 - 2006-08-03 1:31 PM

cwiehle - 2006-08-03 1:24 PM Turns out it was the return of the dreaded plantar fasciitis. Result of trying to quit orthotics and run at same time- bad idea. I am swiiming and trying to stretch a lot.

When you start running again, I suggest picking up a pair of Superfeet (green) insoles. They are pricey 35-40 dollars, but well worth it. I transfer them from my running shoes to my work shoes everyday. Also be sure your heel isn't striking first, try for a mid-foot strike. Keep up with the stretches and freeze a water bottle and roll your foot on it for ten minutes every day. Worked great for me.

I don't know if I can put inserts on top of my orthotics. Midfoot strike? How do you do that? Doesn't that transfer the jolt directly to the knee?
2006-08-09 9:34 PM

User image

Regular
Just a quick update for the arch challenged members. I decided to skip the $700+ running orthotic and casting. I decided to get back to basics- I $h!tcanned my old orthotics, went shoe shopping, and looked for a shoe that offered the most arch. I went with an Addidas cross trainer. In addition to that for a little extra support I bought a pair of Dr Scholls arch supports, and do a lot of stretching. I am going on my fourth day and symptoms have improved. I realize if this works I have to most likely replace the shoes at first signs of wear along with the inserts. Will continue to update.
2006-08-10 6:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear your foot is feeling better.  My own battle with plantar fasciitis spanned 8 months.  It's nice to be running pain free.  (Of course now I am battling a problem in the opposite ankle.    ).  Keep us posted on your progress.
2006-08-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #507425

User image

Regular
I'll let you know when I start running again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heel spur question Rss Feed