General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not so normal things to look out for Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-30 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Not so normal things to look out for
Have the day off today, so I went for my run later than normal. A landscaper was trimming the sidewalk I was running on and I thought he saw me as I approached. Well, he didn't and swung the weed wackier toward me with the line still spinning. It missed me, but only by a few feet. Too close for comfort! Totally my fault, I made the wrong assumption.

What types of things have happened to others here?

2013-08-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Not so normal things to look out for
I've been hit by leaves and dust blown by a leaf blower a few times.
2013-08-30 1:21 PM

One Word - Donkey

Burro, and or mule.

I live on a country road and there is various livestock. I have been running on 2 different occasions where a donkey was blocking my path. Being a bit stubborn myself, I was not going to stop running and break my pace. I was not aware, and in case you didn't know, a Donkey does not appreciate a human moving towards them at any type of an aggressive pace. The warning was a loud snort but I was not phased and kept running. Being a Clydesdale I do have some size and the Donkey blinked first. He trotted off down the driveway from where he came. I believe I have established my dominance as the alpha within that Donkey Society. For what that's worth?

Ron
2013-08-30 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Lady driving stopped a couple feet from the edge on a busy road half in the lane still -- sitting there texting no doubt.  Wasn't sure whether to go by on the right or left, and chose left with a bunch of cars approaching from behind.  That's when she finished texting I guess, as she hit the gas and merged straight into me.  Had to yell at her so she didn't kill me.  So many smart people out there, I just love them all.  I hope next time she decides to text while sitting in the roadway that she does it right in front of a semi truck whose driver is too busy texting to watch the road.
2013-08-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

I was running down the road when a friend pulled his car over and waved me close. Said there was a bear just down the road. I thanked him and crossed to the other side. A couple of hundred metres down the road, right on the side was a mother bear with a cub. Lucky he was passing by. It might have been my bare hands against its bear hands.
2013-08-30 1:50 PM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Pronghorn antelope:

I live in a VERY rural area of southern New Mexico. I was riding up the road towards a cattle guard and saw a couple of pronghorn to my left, just off the road. I turned my head to the front just in time to see another running right towards me from the right, following the fenceline. I grabbed two handfulls of brake and missed it by a little. We passed close enough that I could smell it.

That would have been a mildly amusing accident report, t-boning an antelope on my Madone. Coulda hurt too.

2013-08-30 5:55 PM

Deers and a bear.
The bear took off but the deer usually stay and snort at me.
And horses.
Well, really it's horse poop that you really have to look out for.
2013-08-30 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
Well I was biking next to a park and a rogue Frisbee went between my tires; actually it was truly perfect timing because just half a second more or less and it would have shot right into either tire and I don't know what a Frisbee in your spokes would do exactly but at 38km/hr I didn't want to find out.

My sister was stalked by a cougar - that would be a pretty tense situation.
2013-08-30 6:48 PM
in reply to: tryin2tri

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
2013-08-30 7:32 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Austin
my normal route near my house has me go by a jack in the box, and I swear at least once a month I have to hit the top or side of someones car as they pull out of the drive through into the side walk. Then at work, my lunch run route takes me near an outdoor mall where we all think older ladies just go to the bars to take pills and get drunk. I have been hit 3 times in 2 years, slow speed thankfully as they drunkenly leave the parking garage and or drive up onto the sidewalk.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not so normal things to look out for Rss Feed