Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gimmie your "best" first world problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2013-09-03 7:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Gimmie your "best" first world problems

Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by moondawg14It's very hard to communicate with our Ayi because she speaks so FAST in Chinese.  This is important, because we see her 3 times a week when she comes to clean our 3500 square foot apartment that my work pays for.   On top of this we pay her almost $200 a month.   Troubles, I say.
You win.

We're blessed.

ETA:  Being an expat is a good gig.   Companies throw lots of money at you to keep you happy, because they're throwing lots of money around you just to get you here.   Last year, not counting my salary, my company spent over a quarter-million dollars to keep me in Beijing.   There's another family here with 11 kids.  I'd hate to know what that's costing the company!

Edited by moondawg14 2013-09-03 7:20 PM

2013-09-03 7:17 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert

Originally posted by moondawg14It's very hard to communicate with our Ayi because she speaks so FAST in Chinese.  This is important, because we see her 3 times a week when she comes to clean our 3500 square foot apartment that my work pays for.   On top of this we pay her almost $200 a month.   Troubles, I say.
You win.

Yeah but he lives... here.

2013-09-03 7:21 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by KateTri1

You win.

Fach that.
2013-09-03 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

You win.

Yup, and referencing my edit to the above post... I realized I was spending $1000 a year to change the air filters in my apartment.   I went to my company and said: "I don't have to deal with this in Indiana.  You should be paying for this."   And they did.

We knew the pollution would be bad... but we had NO IDEA how bad it really was... or would be.  We would not have taken the assignment if we'd known.  The week in the picture above... we did not send the kids to school at all because it was so bad.  There's ways to deal with it, masks and such,  but mostly we just stay inside until it clears up.

2013-09-03 7:29 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by moondawg14

You win.

Yup, and referencing my edit to the above post... I realized I was spending $1000 a year to change the air filters in my apartment.   I went to my company and said: "I don't have to deal with this in Indiana.  You should be paying for this."   And they did.

We knew the pollution would be bad... but we had NO IDEA how bad it really was... or would be.  We would not have taken the assignment if we'd known.  The week in the picture above... we did not send the kids to school at all because it was so bad.  There's ways to deal with it, masks and such,  but mostly we just stay inside until it clears up.

How often is it so bad you don't go outside? Can you train outside there?
2013-09-03 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

You win.

In the winter, when everyone is burning effing COAL to heat their homes (which is illegal.. but like most illegal things here, completely available, never prosecuted, etc.) it is worse.  There's about one day a week where it's so bad (over 400 on the index) where we really try to stay inside.  There are many other days where it's between 250 and 400 and we wear masks and don't dilly-dally outside.  I don't think it's been over 250 since about April.  It's just starting to get cool at night... so the heat will probably be on in a little over a month.  Many people have "government heat" which is piped underground as steam.  The government will be announcing soon when the "government heat" will be turned on. That means that all of these central heating facilities will start pumping out their emissions soon too. (probably Nov 1.)

I'm only JUST getting back to working out after a 2-year battle with motivation.   We negotiated a gym membership as part of our rent (so my company pays that too!) so I have access to a gym that has very good air filtration.  I work out there.  It is very difficult to ride a bike for more than 1km without stopping for traffic.  So, I commute via bike but do not ride a bike in any sort of serious way for training.

The gym has a pool but I'm currently only doing strength training and running... and only just began running again.

2013-09-03 7:48 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

You win.

In the winter, when everyone is burning effing COAL to heat their homes (which is illegal.. but like most illegal things here, completely available, never prosecuted, etc.) it is worse.  There's about one day a week where it's so bad (over 400 on the index) where we really try to stay inside.  There are many other days where it's between 250 and 400 and we wear masks and don't dilly-dally outside.  I don't think it's been over 250 since about April.  It's just starting to get cool at night... so the heat will probably be on in a little over a month.  Many people have "government heat" which is piped underground as steam.  The government will be announcing soon when the "government heat" will be turned on. That means that all of these central heating facilities will start pumping out their emissions soon too. (probably Nov 1.)

I'm only JUST getting back to working out after a 2-year battle with motivation.   We negotiated a gym membership as part of our rent (so my company pays that too!) so I have access to a gym that has very good air filtration.  I work out there.  It is very difficult to ride a bike for more than 1km without stopping for traffic.  So, I commute via bike but do not ride a bike in any sort of serious way for training.

The gym has a pool but I'm currently only doing strength training and running... and only just began running again.

No way, man. I couldn't do it.
2013-09-03 8:12 PM

User image

Master
I need a remote control to let Pandora on the computer know that "I'm still listening". My desk is sooooo far away.
2013-09-03 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by switchNo way, man. I couldn't do it.

Me either, but here I am!  Short-term sacrifice for long-term gain.

Back to the thread:  There is no Taco Bell in China.

edited to fix quoting.

Edited by moondawg14 2013-09-03 8:14 PM
2013-09-03 8:36 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
my dual zoned wine fridge doesn't go low enough to chill beer.
2013-09-03 8:59 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert
Electric recliners are very slow. 

2013-09-03 10:08 PM

User image

New user
My cell phone inbox keeps filling up and I have to clear it out.

I have to stop at the store at least twice a week to have bananas just like I like them.

People at the gym go the wrong way on the track for the day of the week, plus I go there almost EVERY day and I have to swipe in each time.

I have to put bottled water in the fridge more than once a week to have it chilled and ready.

You know these were waaaayyyy too easy to come up with, could list scads more. We are so spoiled.

2013-09-03 11:05 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Chunga My cell phone inbox keeps filling up and I have to clear it out. I have to stop at the store at least twice a week to have bananas just like I like them. People at the gym go the wrong way on the track for the day of the week, plus I go there almost EVERY day and I have to swipe in each time. I have to put bottled water in the fridge more than once a week to have it chilled and ready. You know these were waaaayyyy too easy to come up with, could list scads more. We are so spoiled.

Right?

So spoiled.  Some might even say rotten;)

2013-09-03 11:07 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

edited to fix quoting.

To the bold: understood. 

Taco Bell? Woe is you! Go get some donkey soup, brotha.

2013-09-03 11:16 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Goosedog People that use the term "blessed." Clergy and women over 85 excluded.

I'm so blessed, I have nothing to complain about, bless your little heart.

Bless me, that seems to be my best first world problem!

Except I'm living in the third world. Hm.

2013-09-03 11:38 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Seattle
I filled my bowl up with ice cream, over estimating how much I could eat. It melted faster than I could eat it and overflowed the bowl. Made a goddamned mess which I had to clean up.

2013-09-03 11:44 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

edited to fix quoting.

As it happens, there is a decent approximation of Chipotle directly behind my office.  As in, there's a sign on the wall saying "When I lived in America I loved Chipotle, so when I moved home I decided to start one." <-paraphrase.

So,  I had a burrito for lunch.  First world problem:  It costs about 2x as much as a Chinese lunch.

2013-09-03 11:45 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

edited to fix quoting.

As it happens, there is a decent approximation of Chipotle directly behind my office.  As in, there's a sign on the wall saying "When I lived in America I loved Chipotle, so when I moved home I decided to start one."

So,  I had a burrito for lunch.  First world problem:  It costs about 2x as much as a Chinese lunch.

So like $0.75?

2013-09-03 11:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Asalzwed I filled my bowl up with ice cream, over estimating how much I could eat. It melted faster than I could eat it and overflowed the bowl. Made a goddamned mess which I had to clean up.

Where did it spill?

2013-09-04 1:13 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

My kids lost the wireless headphones to their in-car DVD player underneath all their toys...

... so we had to pipe the soundtrack to Tinker Bell through the entire car....

... which prevented us from listening to our iTunes in the middle of the mountains.

2013-09-04 7:07 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

when the foot bath in the pedicure place is too hot and you tell them and they make it too cold and it's too much hassle to try to get it right so you just have a cold pedicure.

ugh.

2013-09-04 7:23 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

NC
Originally posted by Asalzwed

It melted faster than I could eat it and overflowed the bowl.

Lazy and clumsy.

2013-09-04 7:40 AM

User image

Pro
I have too much bike stuff and it's taken up all the space under the steps in my living room.
2013-09-04 8:11 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
This past weekend, my boat was having trouble starting so I had to go back to the house to get my battery charger. We ended up 20 minutes late to the make your own bloody mary bar at the waterfront establishment.

The internet at our waterfront cottage is faster than the one at our main house. MIght need a new router.

I can't decide which of my three bikes to ride this weekend.

My boss suggested a company lunch since we are working so hard.

The front tire on my wife's car has a slow leak and we have to fill it every 3-4 days.

2013-09-04 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Note to self....never ever ever EVER sign any contract with the word Beijing in it, ever again. Nobody pays $1000 a month to filter your air when you're a teacher! No quarter million dollar benefit package either. If you're lucky your health coverage MIGHT cover your asthma inhalers and hospital visits for your inability to breathe. But don't ever quit your job, 'cause then it's a pre-existing condition and nobody will.

I don't know if I have first or third world problems. It's hard to classify when you have a first world income (a lower middle one) but live in a third world country; better off than the average local but worse off than the wealthy locals and corporate expats.

Current problems:

*Termites and leaky pipes. I can't use my kitchen or bathroom cabinets. I think the bugs are eating my bedroom floor. Repeated attempts to resolve have only made it worse. Worth it to break lease and move for one year, or not??

*The only local shop that did have whole grain bread closed. Now I have to go into town ($12 round trip by taxi) to get it. Have been stocking up and freezing it.

*The local store is out of cat litter. (That wouldn't happen in the first world, but a real third world cat would do his business in the alley!)

*My cat is the pickiest eater in creation. Thank goodness he eats one of the three brands of dry cat food available locally, and another if really starved, but he will only eat canned tuna intended for people, or tuna-flavored cat food if it's flaked. No puree, no chunks, no other meat. They don't sell that in Vietnam. The salt in the people stuff's supposed to be bad for their kidneys, so I run him food from other countries when I go. Half the time I forget about the flake deal and he won't eat it. Colleagues also give me cat food and he won't eat it. We've donated loads of his rejects to the animal rescue association that got his mom off the streets. His first owner spoiled him as a baby so, despite his humble Saigon street cat origins, he's a first world cat.

On the plus side, for the time being I have a local source for whole wheat pasta and Greek yogurt. So maybe for at least a few months the spaghetti won't be joining the cat food and almonds (which seemed to be unheard of in Vietnam) in my suitcase.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gimmie your "best" first world problems Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

real world problems

Started by LJR
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2008-09-26 1:32 PM LJR

Disney World tickets, best place to buy

Started by JoeR
Views: 1080 Posts: 7

2008-03-10 4:18 PM JoeR

World's first eyeball tattoo

Started by krludwig
Views: 1558 Posts: 16

2008-03-04 4:18 PM ranger5oh

Best place in the World??? Pages: 1 2

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 2500 Posts: 26

2007-08-28 10:31 AM nighthawk

the good people in the world...

Started by autumn
Views: 1593 Posts: 15

2005-05-18 4:38 PM Tania
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?
date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!

date : January 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My symptoms have been present off and on for almost two years. Is this a surgical problem, or should I just keep managing it for as long as I can?
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems