General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Went from cages to clipless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-03 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: Went from cages to clipless
Wow, what a difference. I started 6 months ago on my bike and started with cages on there. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money at first because I wanted to make sure this was something I wanted to stick with. So after hitting the 1 hour mark on a bunch of my training rides I noticed that my feet would get hot spots and my toes would go numb. Anything around the 90 minute mark really started to bother me badly. I also had the cages pretty loose, because I was afraid of getting my foot caught in them if I crashed. So I really feel like I was wasting some energy by using the cages. I finally went out and dropped some cash on some pretty nice shoes. Tried on a few cheaper pairs but decided to spend a bit extra as I figured this was a long term investment now. What a difference. The hard sole meant that I had no hotspots when I rode today. For the first time I felt like I was actually making circles with the pedals instead of pushing straight up and down on them with the cages. My feet used to hurt for hours after riding. I would be at work and could still feel slight pains. Today I did about 1hr 20m and felt fantastic. Can't believe I waited this long. This is probably the best return on my money that I have spent in triathlon yet.

2013-09-03 4:23 PM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Went from cages to clipless
Yuuuuup.

I looked at clipless shoes and pedals with a bit of a skeptical eye when I first started riding as well. After trying them I was easily sold after only one ride. The difference really is huge.
2013-09-03 4:53 PM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Pro

yup x2.

there's a reason why everybody has them.  they work.

2013-09-03 4:55 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Now you enter a new classification of bikers:

Those that have fallen due to clips or those that are about to fall.

Welcome and you will not regret it  (other than the goofy biker walk at the gas station getting a refill of Gatorade).

2013-09-03 5:27 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

You make a good point about not going too cheap on the shoes.

I kinda dipped my toe in with "casual shoes" with a clip in the bottom. Hard soled but definitely not serious cycling shoes, more casual mtb shoes. 

I then went to a $100 pair of real cycle shoes, better but not amazing, was constantly messing with the straps trying to get comfy.

Finally dropped $300 on some S-Works shoes with the BOA enclosure. Holy heaven Batman!!!

So, not to say that you have to buy top of the line, but you will spend a lot of time in those shoes and they can make a day nice or miserable, might as well get a good pair!

2013-09-03 5:45 PM

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Welcome and you will not regret it  (other than the goofy biker walk at the gas station getting a refill of Gatorade).

Yup, you just can't unclip fast enough. Just yesterday the wife was coming to a stop behind me and unclipped the left and weight transfer went right. Loud thud and a nice cut up knee and elbow but fine otherwise. She did this right beside a long line of cars exiting a kids soccer field. You never get to fall in private. LOL. Yes, I have done the same thing.

Ron

2013-09-03 5:49 PM
in reply to: WaterRat

User image

Elite
Originally posted by WaterRat

Yup, you just can't unclip fast enough. Just yesterday the wife was coming to a stop behind me and unclipped the left and weight transfer went right. Loud thud and a nice cut up knee and elbow but fine otherwise. She did this right beside a long line of cars exiting a kids soccer field. You never get to fall in private. LOL. Yes, I have done the same thing. Ron

If this is the only time I fall I'll be happy!

My clipless fall was on a hot summers morning - along the Beach Road, at a very busy pedestrian crossing and yep unclipped left put right foot down and slowly tumbled to the ground.  Lots of onlookers helped me up - it doesn't count unless you have an audience - right?

2013-09-04 7:54 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA

Those that have fallen due to clips or those that are about to fall

Put me down for "those that will fall". Its only been two days but I know it will happen eventually.

On a side note, went out on another ride today. Last 2 days I put in 3 hours on the new shoes and can't believe the difference. My feet feel great.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Went from cages to clipless Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

need help going clipless

Started by nursejennie
Views: 1097 Posts: 19

2009-03-04 1:34 PM jpjewels

Random Question about going Clipless...

Started by RunningJayhawk
Views: 1152 Posts: 4

2008-01-28 10:32 PM briderdt

Going Clipless... Shoe/Pedal Compatability Q

Started by Carl Carlson
Views: 608 Posts: 2

2006-08-20 6:50 PM jmcelroy

Sprint: cages, clipless or bust?

Started by StellaBlue
Views: 1038 Posts: 15

2006-05-21 6:54 PM StellaBlue

Small Short Tri, Clipless or Cages???

Started by Mark6715
Views: 757 Posts: 8

2005-04-23 1:26 PM Mark6715
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors

date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : March 13, 2005
author : infosteward
Using Clipless Pedals Increases Efficiency

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”