General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Chattanooga - sign-up today! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-09-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: IM Chattanooga - sign-up today!
Originally posted by austhokie

Originally posted by Rogillio

might get me skewered, but I don't mind the club pre-reg...i'm not affiliated with a club in any way...but I see the benefit that they give to the programs they offer, getting new ppl involved, ones who come to races and help out/offer services (even if not IM's) - it seems like something small they could do...and there were quite a few clubs involved/offered slots

For a GDI like me, I think the pre-sales are unfair. Nothing wrong with clubs they should stand in line just like everyone else.

ETA. Maybe if we formed a "BT Tri Club" all the BTers could go to the front of the line for race sign-ups!

why? I don't train with a club, but I have no issues with them being given pre-reg...I know the USAT offers pre-reg to certain races (like the nations tri) - do ppl complain about those? (those races seem to sell out quickly)

Why should they? All it will do is drive up costs by causing people to have to pay club dues so they can pre-register. Think of all the people who got shut out of this race this year. If they want to do it next year, they will need to join a club.....for no other reason than to move to the head the the line. Cha-ching!

2013-09-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

might get me skewered, but I don't mind the club pre-reg...i'm not affiliated with a club in any way...but I see the benefit that they give to the programs they offer, getting new ppl involved, ones who come to races and help out/offer services (even if not IM's) - it seems like something small they could do...and there were quite a few clubs involved/offered slots

For a GDI like me, I think the pre-sales are unfair. Nothing wrong with clubs they should stand in line just like everyone else.

ETA. Maybe if we formed a "BT Tri Club" all the BTers could go to the front of the line for race sign-ups!

why? I don't train with a club, but I have no issues with them being given pre-reg...I know the USAT offers pre-reg to certain races (like the nations tri) - do ppl complain about those? (those races seem to sell out quickly)

Why should they? All it will do is drive up costs by causing people to have to pay club dues so they can pre-register. Think of all the people who got shut out of this race this year. If they want to do it next year, they will need to join a club.....for no other reason than to move to the head the the line. Cha-ching!

not necessarily - they didn't open it up to ALL clubs, it was an extremely limited selection - 1-2 each for the major regions according to USAT, then like 2 of the top ranked clubs...so there is nothing saying that just because you join a club you are going to get in, and even then, the club ones were first come, first served...if you didn't say yes and get your stuff in, you didn't get a slot - the being a member of a club, in and of itself, did not guarantee a slot...

I guess, the question is, how to (if wanted) avoid this mess in the future - should they go to more of a lotto type system; stick with the FCFS and risk server crashes, do limited pre-reg (which FWIW, they already do with previous year racers/volunteers at other races...doesn't that potentially also seem unfair in the scheme of things...shouldn't they also have to wait in line like everyone else)

whatever the solution, no one is ever going to be happy and there are going to be cries of it being unfair
2013-09-05 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

I don't know about other races, but Nations did not sell out fast this year. I am participating, and the email just two weeks ago indicated a 98% sold out figure, so it may be officially sold out, and at this time it may be too late to register so I can't be sure. But you could get in a couple weeks ago.

2013-09-05 10:59 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

I think normally it does...but either way - they do pre-reg...what about a more established race like IMAZ or IMFL...if they go the club route for those sign-ups - would there be the hate/discontent...

oh and if you are doing nations tri - good luck - I wish I could go but I have military commitments this weekend
2013-09-05 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

not necessarily - they didn't open it up to ALL clubs, it was an extremely limited selection - 1-2 each for the major regions according to USAT, then like 2 of the top ranked clubs...so there is nothing saying that just because you join a club you are going to get in, and even then, the club ones were first come, first served...if you didn't say yes and get your stuff in, you didn't get a slot - the being a member of a club, in and of itself, did not guarantee a slot...

I guess, the question is, how to (if wanted) avoid this mess in the future - should they go to more of a lotto type system; stick with the FCFS and risk server crashes, do limited pre-reg (which FWIW, they already do with previous year racers/volunteers at other races...doesn't that potentially also seem unfair in the scheme of things...shouldn't they also have to wait in line like everyone else)

whatever the solution, no one is ever going to be happy and there are going to be cries of it being unfair

I actually think the lottery is fair. If you only have X number of slots and you have X + Y number of people that want to do a race then it seems a lottery is more fair than setting up competitions to see who has the fastest ISP or who can type the fastest....or who joined the right club.

The lottery seems to work for Kona....course, you have to pay to play and that would suck to pay and not get in.

I still think a BT tri club would be a good idea. Ron can strike a deal with WTC to give them advertising in excahnge for XX IM slots......
2013-09-05 11:10 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I'm not sure the club pre-registration much different then allowing volunteers on-site to get pre-registration? 
I know the key difference is that volunteering is open to anyone (who is willing to pony up money to travel, lodge, and give 4 hours volunteering + 2 days on site of their time) - but it's the same principal: give us something and we will let you have guaranteed early registration.

2013-09-05 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by austhokie might get me skewered, but I don't mind the club pre-reg...i'm not affiliated with a club in any way...but I see the benefit that they give to the programs they offer, getting new ppl involved, ones who come to races and help out/offer services (even if not IM's) - it seems like something small they could do...and there were quite a few clubs involved/offered slots
For a GDI like me, I think the pre-sales are unfair. Nothing wrong with clubs they should stand in line just like everyone else. ETA. Maybe if we formed a "BT Tri Club" all the BTers could go to the front of the line for race sign-ups!
not necessarily - they didn't open it up to ALL clubs, it was an extremely limited selection - 1-2 each for the major regions according to USAT, then like 2 of the top ranked clubs...so there is nothing saying that just because you join a club you are going to get in, and even then, the club ones were first come, first served...if you didn't say yes and get your stuff in, you didn't get a slot - the being a member of a club, in and of itself, did not guarantee a slot... I guess, the question is, how to (if wanted) avoid this mess in the future - should they go to more of a lotto type system; stick with the FCFS and risk server crashes, do limited pre-reg (which FWIW, they already do with previous year racers/volunteers at other races...doesn't that potentially also seem unfair in the scheme of things...shouldn't they also have to wait in line like everyone else) whatever the solution, no one is ever going to be happy and there are going to be cries of it being unfair

why would they want to spend any extra time or effort "fixing" this?  on their end its going great, the race sold out instantly.  

2013-09-05 11:48 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by lisac957 I'm not sure the club pre-registration much different then allowing volunteers on-site to get pre-registration? 
I know the key difference is that volunteering is open to anyone (who is willing to pony up money to travel, lodge, and give 4 hours volunteering + 2 days on site of their time) - but it's the same principal: give us something and we will let you have guaranteed early registration.

True, but at least with the volunteer thing at least we all benefit, in that the race will have plenty of volunteers who are presumably all competent and know what we need because they are fellow triathletes.  With club route the actual racers don't really get anything in return.

2013-09-05 11:54 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by austhokie might get me skewered, but I don't mind the club pre-reg...i'm not affiliated with a club in any way...but I see the benefit that they give to the programs they offer, getting new ppl involved, ones who come to races and help out/offer services (even if not IM's) - it seems like something small they could do...and there were quite a few clubs involved/offered slots
For a GDI like me, I think the pre-sales are unfair. Nothing wrong with clubs they should stand in line just like everyone else. ETA. Maybe if we formed a "BT Tri Club" all the BTers could go to the front of the line for race sign-ups!
not necessarily - they didn't open it up to ALL clubs, it was an extremely limited selection - 1-2 each for the major regions according to USAT, then like 2 of the top ranked clubs...so there is nothing saying that just because you join a club you are going to get in, and even then, the club ones were first come, first served...if you didn't say yes and get your stuff in, you didn't get a slot - the being a member of a club, in and of itself, did not guarantee a slot... I guess, the question is, how to (if wanted) avoid this mess in the future - should they go to more of a lotto type system; stick with the FCFS and risk server crashes, do limited pre-reg (which FWIW, they already do with previous year racers/volunteers at other races...doesn't that potentially also seem unfair in the scheme of things...shouldn't they also have to wait in line like everyone else) whatever the solution, no one is ever going to be happy and there are going to be cries of it being unfair

why would they want to spend any extra time or effort "fixing" this?  on their end its going great, the race sold out instantly.  

Good point. The only thing they need to fix is some way to keep the server from crashing. As it stands right now they have a mess trying to figure out who was on-line and registering when the server crashed. Active is waiting on WTC to decide who gets in and who does not....as I guess there were more people on-line registering than there were slots available. I have a buddy of mine who is in limbo right now.....still waiting to see if he is in or out.
2013-09-05 11:55 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by lisac957 I'm not sure the club pre-registration much different then allowing volunteers on-site to get pre-registration? 

True, but at least with the volunteer thing at least we all benefit, in that the race will have plenty of volunteers who are presumably all competent and know what we need because they are fellow triathletes.  With club route the actual racers don't really get anything in return.

Or X club has 10 members who got in via the club route and Y that did the general reg...said club decided to bring a group of volunteers down to help out and cheer on club mates...therefore providing competent volunteers...

i.e. Tri Team Z in DC - fairly well established - they routinely show up at the races i've been in in the area, to volunteer, help out, and since they are all members they know what they are doing in terms of tri's
2013-09-05 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Originally posted by Sous

Or X club has 10 members who got in via the club route and Y that did the general reg...said club decided to bring a group of volunteers down to help out and cheer on club mates...therefore providing competent volunteers... i.e. Tri Team Z in DC - fairly well established - they routinely show up at the races i've been in in the area, to volunteer, help out, and since they are all members they know what they are doing in terms of tri's

Agreed, but in this scenario you are "hoping" that you get the volunteers... in the regular scenario you are all but guaranteed to get them.

2013-09-05 1:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Fred D Downstream swim, wetsuit legal and not as blistering hot as Louisville and flatter bike will all make this race much more popular. I would bet this race sells out instantaneously every year, but that's just a guess. Comparatively, Arizona and Florida have flat courses and generally mild weather and they sell out quickly.... Add in a current assist swim and this race will have massive demand. Funny thing is none of these races interest me in the slightest (no nt because they are too 'easy') but because they are doing the school year and would be too much disruption for my family. Ymmv.
I question the "wetsuit legal". Hard to predict the temp of the TN river but usually my swimming pool mirrors the river temp....and right now the temps are hoving around 82. Air temps this week in 89 +/- 2. Hard to imagine the river temp dropping to the mid to low 70s in the next 3 weeks. Anyway, when the water temp is in the 'borderline legal' range, I'm not gonna risk overheating wearing a wetsuit.

Thanks, did not know that Mike.

I suspect the main popularity of this event is time of year and location as it is really the only IM in the southeast aside from Panama City.

Sounds like a good event, but it's not closer than IMLP or IMMT which have more appeal to me (Hills, small town atmosphere etc)

I'm still kind of wondering how difficult the bike course will be. They certainly went around the big climbs, but it seems to have almost the same gain as IMLou when using the same site they used for mapping. Be interesting to hear thoughts when people actually ride it. Lou certainly doesn't have the climbing of LP or MT, but it's not exactly flat either. Have to wait and see, but it's still possible that someone expecting FL or AZ level flatness could be in for a little surprise.

2013-09-05 2:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Fred D Downstream swim, wetsuit legal and not as blistering hot as Louisville and flatter bike will all make this race much more popular. I would bet this race sells out instantaneously every year, but that's just a guess. Comparatively, Arizona and Florida have flat courses and generally mild weather and they sell out quickly.... Add in a current assist swim and this race will have massive demand. Funny thing is none of these races interest me in the slightest (no nt because they are too 'easy') but because they are doing the school year and would be too much disruption for my family. Ymmv.
I question the "wetsuit legal". Hard to predict the temp of the TN river but usually my swimming pool mirrors the river temp....and right now the temps are hoving around 82. Air temps this week in 89 +/- 2. Hard to imagine the river temp dropping to the mid to low 70s in the next 3 weeks. Anyway, when the water temp is in the 'borderline legal' range, I'm not gonna risk overheating wearing a wetsuit.

I suspect the main popularity of this event is time of year and location as it is really the only IM in the southeast aside from Panama City.

Sounds like a good event, but it's not closer than IMLP or IMMT which have more appeal to me (Hills, small town atmosphere etc)

I'm still kind of wondering how difficult the bike course will be. They certainly went around the big climbs, but it seems to have almost the same gain as IMLou when using the same site they used for mapping. Be interesting to hear thoughts when people actually ride it. Lou certainly doesn't have the climbing of LP or MT, but it's not exactly flat either. Have to wait and see, but it's still possible that someone expecting FL or AZ level flatness could be in for a little surprise.

i'm guessing rolling hills - i did a ride on the W&OD trail this past weekend up in DC, and over the 56 miles that I did, I had a gain of 1700' but it wasn't that bad...only one (leading to a highway overpass that I really had to work for) - but like you said, we'll see
2013-09-05 2:30 PM

2013-09-05 2:33 PM

Pro

Originally posted by Fred D Using total gain of elevation is fraught with problems. Depends how they measure it and technical nature of the course etc.

Yep.

On another note, I heard Tahoe was like 25,000 feet. Laughing

2013-09-05 2:34 PM

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I agree... I don't think it'll be a pancake, but not horrible either.  I'm waiting for the first few folks to post their garmin files from training rides.

2013-09-05 2:36 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D Using total gain of elevation is fraught with problems. Depends how they measure it and technical nature of the course etc.

Very much agree, hence the "wait and see" back in my response. Only wanted to show that the course may still have some fun sections on it in even with how it's been advertised so far.

2013-09-05 2:36 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

2013-09-05 2:37 PM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by Left Brain

Yep.

On another note, I heard Tahoe was like 25,000 feet. Laughing

. No, no Tahoe has a climb that goes to 25,000'....

But it starts at over 18,000'!

2013-09-05 2:39 PM

2013-09-05 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

Champion
Alabama

Very much agree, hence the "wait and see" back in my response. Only wanted to show that the course may still have some fun sections on it in even with how it's been advertised so far.

. No doubt. I had heard that they had avoided BIG climbs, but IMWI has no big climbs and that is a very hard course. Poor (3rd world?) road surfaces and tons of turns throughout the course make it a huge challenge. Overall elevation gain is less than IMLP, but times aren't much faster. Even if the bike is 'hard', Mike will still have that downhill swim though.... (Pink)

I have done the Chattanooga Waterfront Oly twice in the TN and they were both down-river. I took my swim times from them and estimated I'd swim the 2.4 miles in 1:17. I sawm IMKY both times 1:30 or there abouts. So I'm thinking we will have an 'extra' 13 minutes to play with! I figure to use it to stop for lunch and have a pizza and cold beer.....

Edited by Rogillio 2013-09-05 2:47 PM
2013-09-05 3:10 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

. No doubt. I had heard that they had avoided BIG climbs, but IMWI has no big climbs and that is a very hard course. Poor (3rd world?) road surfaces .... 

Huh??  The road's are not that bad.  They've re-paved a few areas that were needing resurfacing, otherwise not an issue.  There's a handful of "spotty" areas that have potholes and people would have to know the course well enough to avoid those.

2013-09-05 3:16 PM

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-05 3:19 PM
2013-09-05 3:22 PM

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-05 3:25 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Chattanooga - sign-up today! Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Pardon me boys.....Chattanooga Choo-Choo IM? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 5005 Posts: 41

2013-08-30 2:24 PM blueyedbikergirl

Tahoe v. Chattanooga IM

Started by Six13
Views: 1541 Posts: 10

2013-08-22 3:37 PM Left Brain

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1851 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

Look what UPS brought me today!

Started by DRM
Views: 2205 Posts: 19

2006-01-11 9:07 PM vortmax

Timberman and Mooseman Signup Today! Pages: 1 2

Started by Adam_NH
Views: 2102 Posts: 32

2004-11-19 7:33 AM tri_again
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.