General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anti-inflammatory diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-05 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Anti-inflammatory diet
I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which threatens to end my participation in endurance sports due to the damage to my SI joint.

Reading about anti-inflammatory foods is a labyrinth of information, filled with contradictory opinions on good vs bad foods.

Has anyone had success with an anti-inflammatory diet that you can share?

THANKS!

2013-09-05 11:42 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Subject: RE: Anti-inflammatory diet
Originally posted by pga_mike

I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which threatens to end my participation in endurance sports due to the damage to my SI joint.

Reading about anti-inflammatory foods is a labyrinth of information, filled with contradictory opinions on good vs bad foods.

THANKS!

I was diagnosed with the other type, Rheumatoid arthritis in my mid 30's. Lived with the pain for years, the worse was the first 10-15 steps after sitting for a while. Looked like a 80 years old man. Getting asleep was pretty bad, needed a lot of Ibuprofen. Weight training was out of the question, any damage to my muscle would hurt for two weeks.

I went low carbs in November 2011, and the arthritis is all gone. I was able to return to full weight training and became a triathlete at 48. I no longer feel any inflammation pain.

The main foods that caused problems in my case were, Sugar, starch and grains.
2013-09-06 6:09 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by pga_mike

THANKS!

My wife also has psoriatic arthritis. She found this "nutrition coach" that specialized in anti inflammatory diets http://tara-graham.healthcoach.integrativenutrition.com/seasonal-cl... My wife has had great results. Its p.i.t.a. diet in my opinion...but the coach keeps things practical too. I think she said their were some free consultations and some free web info you could look at without signing up with the coach...good luck, hope it helps.
2013-09-06 6:11 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by pga_mike I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which threatens to end my participation in endurance sports due to the damage to my SI joint. Reading about anti-inflammatory foods is a labyrinth of information, filled with contradictory opinions on good vs bad foods. Has anyone had success with an anti-inflammatory diet that you can share? THANKS!

I would look into giving "Whole 30" a try.  Read their book, "It Starts with Food".   I cannot say anything about actual inflammation, but I sure felt a whole helluva lot better after 30 days....

Whole 30 Link

2013-09-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Melon Presser

Mostly crap COJ type (but fun) responses, but some real gems in here, including folks you could contact (for example, TriToy went gluten and dairy free as well as nightshades which significantly improved symptoms of her Hashimoto's thyroid, another autoimmune disorder).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=483598&page=1

I have arthritis from one of those whatchamacallit viruses that ate my joints ... again, not autoimmune but diet made a big difference in my n = 1 (not to mention losing a bunch of excess weight). I went vegan whole-foods for several months (and will continue after I recover from this set of injuries) and I perceived a huge difference in how my joints felt and functioned, and faster than the weight coming off, so it wasn't just from that.

2013-09-07 6:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Thanks for the responses. I spent a week with my alleve and a diet of whole fruit, veggies (especially dark green leaves/onion family) and fatty fish. It seems to help.

I will repost my question in COJ so the funny responses don't get deleted . I never saw them. (Mod note. Cross posting isn't allowed. Please refer to Forum Guideline #3.)

2013-09-08 8:13 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

i'm finding up Finding Ultra right now (Rich Roll) and he does a plant-powered diet (aka, vegan without the political implications), and the 2 annex's talk about the foods he eats; breaks down nutrition content etc - ppl might find it interesting
2013-09-12 1:50 PM
in reply to: austhokie

New user
Originally posted by austhokie

i'm finding up Finding Ultra right now (Rich Roll) and he does a plant-powered diet (aka, vegan without the political implications), and the 2 annex's talk about the foods he eats; breaks down nutrition content etc - ppl might find it interesting

I have been eating a vegan whole food diet for a few years now and when I read Rich Roll's book it motivated me to stop thinking about doing an IM and to actually start training.

I have read in several places that the whole food vegan diet is naturally anti-inflammatory and that animal based foods are great for causing inflammation. I would suggest looking up Dr. McDougall. He has a web site etc. and he has been teaching the benefits of a whole food plant based diet for years.

-Mark
2013-09-16 7:16 AM
in reply to: 1Dude

User image

Originally posted by 1Dude

Originally posted by austhokie

I have been eating a vegan whole food diet for a few years now and when I read Rich Roll's book it motivated me to stop thinking about doing an IM and to actually start training.

I have read in several places that the whole food vegan diet is naturally anti-inflammatory and that animal based foods are great for causing inflammation. I would suggest looking up Dr. McDougall. He has a web site etc. and he has been teaching the benefits of a whole food plant based diet for years.

-Mark

i've been thinking about trying it - probably gonig to wait until after my HIM, so I don't screw things up, but during the off-season

do you have any recommended reading?
2014-02-27 4:56 PM

User image

Regular
I recently did a 7 day detox to kick start weight loss. I followed Linda Wagner's detox. http://lindawagner.net/blog/ After only 2 days of the detox I had a tremendous decrease of pain and inflammation in both of my knees. I slowly incorporated whole grains, dairy, and soy and found I'm sensitive to gluten, dairy and soy. And I didn't even know it!!! I highly recommend doing the detox --it's not juice alone and was very manageable. I also don't have exercise induced asthma in the cold anymore --that was due to inflammation also. I have completely changed my eating habits and it's wonderful.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anti-inflammatory diet Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anti inflammatory diet

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1697 Posts: 7

2009-08-29 4:37 PM AlanaF

Anti-carb body

Started by mathsgeek
Views: 888 Posts: 4

2006-09-13 12:15 PM lisac957

Anti-Sugar Folks and Gatorade Pages: 1 2

Started by VikingMom
Views: 3321 Posts: 49

2006-05-13 4:43 PM triOK

When to take multi-vit & anti-ox?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1045 Posts: 3

2005-08-16 10:27 AM David14

Ideal Diet for 8-9hr Orchard Work then Workouts

Started by vortic
Views: 816 Posts: 1

2004-11-19 3:59 PM vortic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.

date : June 21, 2011
comments : 1
How recent studies can impact your training and nutrition strategies
date : May 31, 2011
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : April 15, 2011
comments : 1
The latest in sports nutrition from researchers around the nation.
date : January 20, 2011
comments : 0
Should I buy organic or standard foods? Fresh or frozen vegetables? Low-fat or fat-free milk? Get tips inside.

date : July 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
I believe you are experiencing transient episodes of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) secretion. ADH is a hormone secreted by the pituitary gland and can be triggered by several stressors.
date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
When dealing with athletic performance and medication usage, there are three additional questions that must be considered.