General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Non-IM-Branded 70.3s in Mid-Atlantic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-08 4:36 PM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: Best Non-IM-Branded 70.3s in Mid-Atlantic

I'm planning on racing my first HIM next summer sometime between late July and October.  I'll only be 17 so can't participate in IronMan Branded events.  A few races I've looked into are Rev3 Half-Full in Maryland and Diamondman in Bear, Delaware.

I'm not willing to travel so far.  Preferably less than 150 miles from Philadelphia; 200 miles max.

Has anyone raced in these events before? Did you like them, dislike them?  What about any other races around the area you liked?

A few things about me that might help with what race to choose:

• Strong swimmer, with or without wetsuit.  Not concerned about any swim portion of a race.
  • The bike is where I struggle.  In the Philly Triathlon I only averaged about 18.5MPH for the Olympic race.  I will be focusing a lot more on that this offseason but just throwing it out there.
  • My run has been getting better and I handle hills very well.  A hilly run course might be favorable.
  • For whatever reason, and I don't know why myself, I really do like to have race pictures from each triathlon.  If a race did have free pictures to view online it would be a big plus for me.

If anyone could please suggest some races and help me out in choosing my first HIM it would be much appreciated.  I really want to get into a good race and not sure where to go. 

2013-09-08 4:58 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Subject: RE: Best Non-IM-Branded 70.3s in Mid-Atlantic
There is a Rev 3 in CT that is about 180 miles from Philly. I haven't done it, but I volunteered at it last year and I'm thinking of doing the oly as an aqua bike next year. It is supposed to be a very hill bike course, so if you struggle on the bike it might not be the best choice.
2013-09-08 5:17 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-08 5:30 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Delco, PA
Originally posted by Fred DMusselman.
Haven't heard of that one until you mentioned it. I'll be sure to check it out.
2013-09-08 6:15 PM

Check out Black bear or Quakerman although that was this weekend so a little outside your dates
2013-09-08 6:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Ugh

Edited by MLPFS 2013-09-08 6:16 PM

2013-09-08 6:23 PM

Delco, PA
Originally posted by MLPFSCheck out Black bear or Quakerman although that was this weekend so a little outside your dates
Yeah they're a bit early in the season but I'll consider them. Heard Black Bear is an excellent race.

Edited by C_Hassard 2013-09-08 6:28 PM
2013-09-08 6:35 PM

might be right outside your area - but williamsburg, VA has the Patriots Half - which was this weekend, run by set-up events; and if you did want to stretch further - i've heard nothing but good things about B2B in North Carolina - i'm racing it in 2 months (last weekend in OctobeR)
2013-09-08 6:44 PM
in reply to: austhokie

Delco, PA
Originally posted by austhokiemight be right outside your area - but williamsburg, VA has the Patriots Half - which was this weekend, run by set-up events; and if you did want to stretch further - i've heard nothing but good things about B2B in North Carolina - i'm racing it in 2 months (last weekend in OctobeR)
Yeah might be a little too far. Was trying to keep it closer to where I live simply cause it's going to cost a lot for travel and get a hotel anyway, I'm trying to save as much money as possible. But then again, if it's a farther distance and lower race fee than closer distance and highe race fee, I guess it cancels out. So I'll keep those races in mind. Thank you:
2013-09-08 7:05 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by C_Hassard
Originally posted by austhokiemight be right outside your area - but williamsburg, VA has the Patriots Half - which was this weekend, run by set-up events; and if you did want to stretch further - i've heard nothing but good things about B2B in North Carolina - i'm racing it in 2 months (last weekend in OctobeR)
Yeah might be a little too far. Was trying to keep it closer to where I live simply cause it's going to cost a lot for travel and get a hotel anyway, I'm trying to save as much money as possible. But then again, if it's a farther distance and lower race fee than closer distance and highe race fee, I guess it cancels out. So I'll keep those races in mind. Thank you:

Rev 3 in Williamsburg, VA late June.

Patriots  in Williamsburg by SetUp Events September.  Swim is in the same place as the Rev3 race but the bike and run courses are very different.

2013-09-08 7:46 PM

I have done the Oly course for Half Full for the last three years. They put on an excellent race and the atmosphere is fantastic. The bike course is tough, as in hilly. The bike is my weakest link as well so I have never even attempted the HIM distance for this race. It is also colder for this race-typically mid 50s for the high and rainy. The run has a few hills but it is not bad. I really like the work the organization that the tri benefits does which is why I come back every year. If I ever get good at climbing, I want to do the half.

I did Patriots in Williamsburg for my first HIM and it was great as well. A flatter bike course and quite warm (water temp 80 degrees last year) with a shaded trail run. In theory at least part of the swim should be with the current but that was not my case. Course was well supported.

I am considering B2B next year but it is hard for me to do the longer events once school has started so the timing is a little off for me. Also, you could look at the Chesapeake Man endurance festival.

Good luck!

2013-09-09 6:12 AM

Set-Up Events also has the Waterman's Half in Maryland (in southern MD, not far from me - about 160 miles from Philly) - early October - http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventI... - and the area isn't too bad for pricing (hotels wise) - pricing wise, the race does a staggered one with $150 through January 1 up to $200 right before the race

Edited by austhokie 2013-09-09 6:14 AM
2013-09-09 9:29 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Originally posted by Fred D

Musselman.

x2. Musselman is a great race - well organized and very good support.
2013-09-09 10:04 AM

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by austhokie Set-Up Events also has the Waterman's Half in Maryland (in southern MD, not far from me - about 160 miles from Philly) - early October - http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&ev... - and the area isn't too bad for pricing (hotels wise) - pricing wise, the race does a staggered one with $150 through January 1 up to $200 right before the race

Waterman's is a well run race... challenging bike and run, fairly rolling.  The only issue is the time of year... mid October.  I did the race last year and it was about 35 degress at the start.

2013-09-09 11:18 AM

Savageman in Deep Creek, MD is about 4 hours from Philly. I haven't done it yet (it is this weekend), but a lot of people on this forum have.
2013-09-09 11:20 AM
in reply to: Sous

Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by austhokie Set-Up Events also has the Waterman's Half in Maryland (in southern MD, not far from me - about 160 miles from Philly) - early October - http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventI... - and the area isn't too bad for pricing (hotels wise) - pricing wise, the race does a staggered one with $150 through January 1 up to $200 right before the race

Waterman's is a well run race... challenging bike and run, fairly rolling.  The only issue is the time of year... mid October.  I did the race last year and it was about 35 degress at the start.

lol - I figure any race in the Sep/Oct time frame in this area is likely going to blow chunks...but that's what the OP requested

2013-09-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: MLPFS

Expert
I did the Rev3 race you are looking at - Rev 3 Maryland... It was a good race. The swim was typical - but I like how they did the wave start. The ride was a two loop course - rolling hills/very pretty, and the run was nice mostly through a park and a suburb. I would recommend it! If you want any more details feel free to PM me. Good luck!
2013-09-09 11:57 AM

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Originally posted by austhokie

Originally posted by austhokie Set-Up Events also has the Waterman's Half in Maryland (in southern MD, not far from me - about 160 miles from Philly) - early October - http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&ev... - and the area isn't too bad for pricing (hotels wise) - pricing wise, the race does a staggered one with $150 through January 1 up to $200 right before the race

lol - I figure any race in the Sep/Oct time frame in this area is likely going to blow chunks...but that's what the OP requested

True.  Early Sept is about the latest I'd want to look at a HIM around here.  After that the weather just starts to get too dicey, especially seeing as you're going to be soaking wet ridding a bike at about 8 AM!  

2013-09-09 11:58 AM

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
Look at setupevents.com. A lot of members of this board have done their races, and they have several that meet your criteria. Well-organized, popular, affordable. I've dome several sprints and Olys, and have heard many good things about their HIMs.

Good luck!
2013-09-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: Sous

Originally posted by austhokie

Originally posted by austhokie Set-Up Events also has the Waterman's Half in Maryland (in southern MD, not far from me - about 160 miles from Philly) - early October - http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventI... - and the area isn't too bad for pricing (hotels wise) - pricing wise, the race does a staggered one with $150 through January 1 up to $200 right before the race

True.  Early Sept is about the latest I'd want to look at a HIM around here.  After that the weather just starts to get too dicey, especially seeing as you're going to be soaking wet ridding a bike at about 8 AM!  

yeah...my training buddy and I are donig our 50 miler starting at 6:30 on saturday...I just can't catch a break and sleep in...haha
2013-09-09 8:21 PM

I haven't done it yet, but I've heard great things about Toughman in Westchester, NY. Just happened this past weekend. That is my goal for next year.

2013-09-09 8:28 PM
in reply to: djmtrier

Delco, PA

You guys are great. Everyone responded with so many options and now I'll have a huge list of races to think about this offseason, compared to just the two I had in mind.

Thanks a lot, everyone.  Really helping me out here. This is why I love BT.

2013-09-10 9:36 AM
in reply to: dipboss

I just did a SetUpEvent Half Iron distance (Patriots Half) as my first HIM this past weekend.

Pleasant experience, no real negatives to gripe about. Flat bike course, the run was mostly in the shade going through the woods.

So, another +1 for SetUpEvents in this thread, although I dont know if would qualify as the "best" in the Mid-Altantic, but I also have no other comparisons.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Non-IM-Branded 70.3s in Mid-Atlantic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM 70.3....outside of US

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 1057 Posts: 11

2013-03-19 2:55 AM swiss tri

IM 70. 3 For 2013

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 1603 Posts: 7

2012-06-19 1:59 PM TriRSquared

Best sites to find Non-IM (WTC) branded events

Started by jazz82482
Views: 1233 Posts: 8

2010-10-28 2:07 PM acumenjay

Looking at 70.3s

Started by 3darcher2
Views: 1239 Posts: 10

2010-08-12 12:16 PM cthoops

Half IM recommendations for Virginia/Mid-Atlantic?

Started by kenail
Views: 607 Posts: 7

2005-08-31 8:16 PM Kristin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The goals of these treatments are to reduce the need for splints, braces, and anti-inflammatory medications while allowing the patient to continue in their activity of choice during treatment.

date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!
date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : December 11, 2007
I am trying to go from being 40 lbs. overweight, however, I keep having pain in my knees, ankle, or hip that stops me from exercising for several days - killing my momentum.

date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.