General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Syracuse 70.3 or Rev3 Quassy Half? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-12 6:09 PM

User image

Subject: Syracuse 70.3 or Rev3 Quassy Half?
Looking for a late spring half in the north east and have been debating between Syracuse or Quassy. I've done the Quassy Olympic 3 times.

Would love any thoughts and feedback from anyone that's done both or loves or hates either. From the reviews I've read my initial assessment is Quassy is more of a sufferfest with the hills but is a more attractive venue and course with more run time in the shade.

Thanks for any feedback.
Cheers,

2013-09-12 6:12 PM
in reply to: dswezey

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-12 9:23 PM
in reply to: 0

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Syracuse 70.3 or Rev3 Quassy Half?
I've done Syracuse and I've done the Quassy Oly three times too.
Swim course: both are in lakes. Syracuse is out and back, Quassy is a triangle-shaped course that has you swimming directly into the sun for the middle third. I had dark-tinted goggles and it was tough to navigate. Otherwise, I'd call it a push.

Bike course: both courses are really pretty. My recollection is that most of the Syracuse hill are long and shallow, while Quassy has more short, steep climbs and technical descents. It's a matter of preference, really. The consensus from friends who've done both is that the Quassy bike course is harder.

Run: Syracuse is a straight-up suffer fest. It's an out and back with nothing but hills. I saw many, many people walking. Because its an out/back, the hills are spaced pretty consistently. Very little shade as well, although the steepest section is nicely shaded. You're right that Quassy is mostly shaded and overall is a prettier course. Syracuse is more spectator-friendly, though.

Other stuff: syracuse's expo is at a hotel downtown and the race is at a park outside of town, so logistically, it's a bit of a pia the day before the race. There are lots of places to stay and plenty of decent restaurant to choose from in Syracuse. Quassy is in the middle if nowhere, so other than the expo (which is good-not-great) there's not many choices for hotels and dinner. We've stayed at the Hampton inn, which is pretty good. BUT, post race, Quassy gives you free tickets to the amusement park that hosts the race, and the post-race food is excellent. There wasn't much going on post-race at Syracuse, although we found a great pizza/sub place on the road back to town.

Hope that helps.
2013-09-13 6:59 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Syracuse 70.3 or Rev3 Quassy Half?

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Other stuff: syracuse's expo is at a hotel downtown and the race is at a park outside of town, so logistically, it's a bit of a pia the day before the race. There are lots of places to stay and plenty of decent restaurant to choose from in Syracuse. Quassy is in the middle if nowhere, so other than the expo (which is good-not-great) there's not many choices for hotels and dinner. We've stayed at the Hampton inn, which is pretty good. BUT, post race, Quassy gives you free tickets to the amusement park that hosts the race, and the post-race food is excellent. There wasn't much going on post-race at Syracuse, although we found a great pizza/sub place on the road back to town. Hope that helps.

The Syracuse expo was at the race site this year.  They moved the finish line from where it had been to the first big parking lot to the south.  That's where the expo was.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Syracuse 70.3 or Rev3 Quassy Half? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy vs Williamsburg

Started by drdking
Views: 790 Posts: 6

2013-02-06 3:31 PM Nipper

watching Rev3 Quassy on TV

Started by SpeedKnight
Views: 651 Posts: 3

2012-10-27 2:01 PM SpeedKnight

Mooseman or Rev3 Quassy

Started by dswezey
Views: 839 Posts: 5

2012-08-28 10:57 PM southwestmba

I am looking for a ride (rev3 quassy ) jun 2

Started by happyliving
Views: 444 Posts: 1

2012-05-22 1:00 PM happyliving

Official Rev3 Quassy Live Update Thread

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 1004 Posts: 9

2011-06-05 10:24 AM redbullgt337
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.