Overall Rank = 139/287
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 31/47
Swim
  • 10m 24s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was pretty cold. It affected my breathing for a good 30-60 seconds. After that my body seemed to adjust well enough. There was minimal congestion and contact.
What would you do differently?:

I really need to practice OWS more. This was my first one and sighting definitely killed momentum.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I am guessing on T1 time as it wasn't measured separately for some reason. The only struggle that I had was getting my shirt on while wet. I ended up putting shoes on in transition as I haven't practiced mounting with shoes clipped into the pedals yet.

Nothing really. This will improve with more practice, having more gear on while swimming, and mounting bike with shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 44m 55s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

My heart rate monitor wasn't working at this point for some reason. So I was going based of RPE. But I felt like I did well based on my time. The corners all had volunteers to direct you and the busier ones had police stopping traffic for us. The only time traffic was an issue was in the last 3/4 mile or so. Traffic was significantly backed up at this point and we could only ride on the shoulder. At this point, passing was pretty much impossible.

Nothing. I felt that this part went well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Nothing special here. I did a beginners dismount and left shoes on. Jogged to the transition area with the bike. Switching to running was quick.

In the future I'll get quick laces so I don't have to tie them the traditional way.
Run
  • 27m 45s
  • 3.04 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This is traditionally my weakest area in terms of speed. But for some reason I kicked it up a few notches for the race. I typically train around an 11:00 mile and here I averaged almost a 9:00 mile. Fastest I've ran a 5K in my adult life. So I was really happy with how I did. Felt pretty strong the whole way.

I ended up not really liking running with my sunglasses. So I would have left those in transition. Otherwise no complaints.
Post race
Warm down:

No real physical warm-down. Grabbed some water and finished my Gatorade from the bike. Grabbed some snack for the car ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Biggest limiter based on my conditioning was the swim. The combo of cold water and poor sighting technique probably added a few minutes.

Event comments:

Good overall race for my first tri.

Pros

I liked the course length and difficulty. The bike course had good traffic control. Run was totally flat. Good volunteers and even some fans out on the bike course to root you on.

Cons

Bike course was often rough and not all that comfortable. Cold water temps (to be expected in Sept in MN). No T1 split time for some reason.

Last updated: 2013-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:24 | 400 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 160/287
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: Went out about 50 yards, turns left and followed the shore line, then turned left back into the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:55 | 12.8 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Overall: 126/287
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was on rural/residential roads. Not much traffic to contend with but often not much of any shoulder to speak of. The roads were a bit rough and made for an uncomfortable ride. It was mostly flat with a few rollers to make you do a little work.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:45 | 03.04 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 165/287
Performance: Good
Course: The run was on an asphalt run/bike path that followed the lake. It was an out and back course with both directions using the same path. It was very flat. The path was generally wide enough for the volume of runners so that it would be a rare occurrence that you'd have to leave the path to pass someone.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-16 4:02 PM

User image

Subject: One Last Tri

2013-09-16 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4856949

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: One Last Tri
Great first tri!  Congrats on the 5k run PR!
2013-09-16 4:11 PM

User image

Congrats on the first Tri AND a PR inside of your Tri - that's outstanding. Sighting - I hear you there.
2013-09-17 9:28 AM
in reply to: shaunjamison

User image

Thanks everyone!  I think it will be neat to do the same course next year just to see how much I can improve over the course of a year.
2013-09-17 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
I did the long course and my wife did the short course also. Lake was a little cool as you said but not too bad. IMO the one thing they needed was more buoys (at least for the long course). There was about a 3 mile stretch on the bike around mile 22 for me that was literally a teeth rattler. Thought I blew a tire a couple times it was THAT bad. Good news is they are repaving that section. For a first year event (moved from different location) I thought it was pretty well run. Yes, that last stretch on the bike with all he traffic was nuts. Had a lot of fun! Congrats on your time!
2013-09-17 12:44 PM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Great job getting your first tri in! That cold water will take your breathe away every time. The sighting may have slowed your momentum up but its probably faster than having run off course. That's awesome about the PR on the 5k.

I'm sure it will all come with time. Now that you know what you can work on, you can focus on fitting those in during training. It will make a huge difference for the next time around. Good luck with the winter training!

2013-09-17 1:43 PM
in reply to: nfp105

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

You're a triathlete!  Congrats on the first one and welcome to the addiction.  Laughing

Awesome job to run like that within a tri - good stuff ahead of you in the sport for sure.

Great job.

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » One Last Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

One Last Tri

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 1434 Posts: 3

2010-09-22 4:22 PM paddle2paddle

One Last Tri

Started by MNGopher
Views: 948 Posts: 1

2010-02-08 2:24 PM MNGopher

One Last Tri

Started by cav90
Views: 1177 Posts: 1

2009-09-15 12:54 PM cav90

One Last Tri

Started by leapdog
Views: 1763 Posts: 7

2007-09-24 6:37 PM rabkaman

One Last Tri

Started by kelpeng
Views: 1499 Posts: 7

2005-10-02 5:45 PM trigirlkris
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.

date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.
date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.

date : October 2, 2005
author : tgurl
comments : 1
”Everyone can swim; show me what you can do.” She watched, I emerged and she said, “Oh! You really can't swim!”