General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike size. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-17 10:27 AM

Subject: Tri bike size.
I was at my local bike shop looking for a new tri bike, my first. The gentleman working there told me I would need a medium size bike. However I am 6'2" and by reading online it says I need a large.
He said whatever you ride in a road bike you go down a size for a tri bike.
Does this make sense. What size should I be looking at?

2013-09-17 10:34 AM
in reply to: Gabrielm1234

User image

Subject: RE: Tri bike size.
Go get a tri bike fitting.

That bike store you were at does NOT do them. At least the guy you were talking to has no clue how to do them, in any case.

Look up F.I.S.T. or Retul fitters in your area. It's worth the money.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html
2013-09-17 11:25 AM

User image

Exton, PA
At your size I would not think you would fit properly on a medium. It does depend on manufacturer and other body dimensions. Some people drop down a size from road bike to tri but not everyone. I ride a 54 road bike and a 54 tri bike. Go to another shop or two, do your homework online about fitting. You don't want to be uncomfortable on the bike or you won't ride it.
2013-09-17 11:39 AM

Medium (54ish) is too small unless you have a tiny tiny torso.

I am 5'-11" normal build and ride a medium and would be as well or BETTER suited on a large (Speed Concept). My wife is a solid medium and we share a bike so therefore we went medium.

I ride a 56 road bike.

Another thing to consider. You can fit on a smaller Tri bike if you have a more upright position. The lower you go the more forward you will want to be. Eventually you could run out of forward adjustment and get the front center (balance) of the bike way out of wack.
2013-09-17 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Gabrielm1234 I was at my local bike shop looking for a new tri bike, my first. The gentleman working there told me I would need a medium size bike. However I am 6'2" and by reading online it says I need a large. He said whatever you ride in a road bike you go down a size for a tri bike. Does this make sense. What size should I be looking at?

While each person is different and each bike manufacturer has different standards in size, it's very apparent the guy at your LBS has no earthly idea what he's talking about.

Odds are you should be looking at a L or XL or 56-60cm bike... all depending on your fit coordinates.

2013-09-17 11:46 AM
in reply to: cmscat50

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Don't go by sizes - they differ two much from bike brand to bike brand.  Get fit OR use the calculator on competitivecyclist.com and it will give you bike dimension to look for.  Pay particular attention to top tube (effective) length and/or reach.  That's more important than size/seat tube which is who most bikes are sized, which is strange.

A 61cm TT bike from one company could have a top tube of 570mm, a 61cm TT bike from another company can have a top tube of 600mm.

Top tube is a bit more crucial since you can simply adjust the saddle height if the seat tube is too long/short.  But you can't adjust top tube/reach without messing around with stem or saddle position.  And THOSE things you don't want to mess with much.  Only a couple cm at most.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike size. Rss Feed