General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-09-22 8:48 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

ABOUT MYSELF: 42 years old, 1 wife and two kids (12 & 10)

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: This will be my 3rd Ironman, all in Wisconsin.

WHY IMWI: I live in Mukwonago, WI. About an hour away from Madison. I have the advantage of training on the race course while still being able to sleep in my own bed.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: I'm looking forward to starting my training in January. During my last IM training year, I was seriously injured in a car accident. I didn't drop out of IMWI but changed my focus from a time goal to just finishing (which I did).

TRAINING STRATEGY: As a two time finisher, I have a pretty good Idea how to train for this race and where I need to focus my training to improve.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: If this is your first Iron distance race, don't get too focused on a specific time goal or even an overall time goal. Focus on the allowable time for each part of the race. (2 hours 20 min for the swim, 5:30 PM for the bike and midnight for the run). Get out there, know you'll finish, and enjoy the day!

2013-09-22 6:11 PM
in reply to: WI_tri_guy

In case anyone from the 2013 Ironman Wisconsin group is on this post, I finished...finally...my race report. My goal was to finish it before IMWI 2014...just made it.

For those who are just starting on this thread, reading race reports from the previous year(s) is a good way to see how the day went for others, what they tried, what worked, and what didn't.
2013-09-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Tell us a little about yourself:
30, single (hurray!), and one of those geeky computer programmers.

What is your IM/Triathlon Experience?

Started triathlons last year. Learn to swim and bought a bike last year. This year I did my first HIM and the full Vineman (full IM distance). I sort of skipped the many years of doing tris and just sort of jumped in the hard stuff

Why did you choose IM WI?

Closeness and I have a stupid goal of qualifying for Kona. Obviously not going to happen but I think one day it may. I want to see if I can improve at all but I'd need to shave off ~1:30 hours to do so and I was super happy with my first full so any minute I can shave off will be huge for me. I also heard this is a good race and the support is awesome. Can't beat that Didn't like CA with the expensive and the typical attitude (although joking...) that I must be crazy for preferring the Midwest to live in.

What are you most looking forward to?

Training and seeing how much I can improve. I really want to impress myself with some swim gains over the next year. It's my biggest weakness and I hope to say it's a strength next year. I also love the atmosphere with triathletes. Everyone is super friendly.

What is your planned training strategy?

Finish reading the Triatele's Bible and go from there. I went off Be Iron Fit this year and it got me the results I wanted. I want to see if this book can help. I can't decide if I want to spent gobs of money on a power meter but people say it help for training but wow...at what point so I say uncle in this sport? lol

What tips can you offer to first timers or those who are new to triathlon?

Get a schedule and follow it! Don't just do whatever. There's a science to this and I finally accepted that instead of just running whatever distance and effort I wanted to. Read up on HR training.

I signed up for Racine too, so hopefully I see some familiar faces at IMWI! Hoping for an injury free year and good progress over the next year. Training for a marathon next month and then I'm going to do some pre season training to keep the fitness up. Looking forward to pushing my limits again!
2013-09-24 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Ironman Wisconsin 2014, here I come!

I'm currently 29, married, no children. My wife and I got into triathlon to lose weight and get healthier, and it's working so far.

2013 was my first season, with a sprint and 2 olympics. I also ran my first 5k and 10k, and I'm currently hitting the taper for the Chicago Marathon on 10/13. Next season will culminate with IMWI, plus Racine and Rev3 Dells at the half distance. I'm also considering Rev3 Knoxville as a kickoff.

Proximity, mostly - and my wife's family has a vacation home near Madison, which will hopefully make training on the course a monthly or bi-weekly possibility.

I love to ride, so I'm really looking forward to the bike. And the sense of accomplishment that the hardest day in my life will bring.

Right now, I'm finishing up my marathon program, and focusing on masters' swimming - which hits my weakest areas. After the marathon, trainer road and I are going to spend some quality time together, building base over the winter, and then a formal program will start with the new year. My goal is going to be getting strong on the bike, combined with adequate swims and runs.

Don't drown, don't crash, and don't quit. It's a great sport, if a bit expensive, so make sure you have fun with it. And make sure to smile!

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2013-09-24 12:41 PM
2013-09-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I am a 46 year old married man with two daughters.  The oldest is a high school freshman and my youngest started middle school this fall.  I started triathlons six years ago as a mid life crisis. 

I have completed two IMs, IMWI in 2010 and IMAZ in 2012.  I have also completed several halfs, olys, and sprints distance events.  Typically, I would prefer fewer, longer races each year. 

IMWI is driving distance from the Twin Cities and I have two good friends that are racing.  Plus the race package with IM Racine 70.3 was too hard to pass up as I could not make it down to the race this year. 

I am looking forward to the race day.  It is truly a test of you fitness and mental toughness.  The atmosphere Thursday, Friday and Saturday is awesome. Race day support is amazing. Such a great experience. 

Continue to lose weight and base build through December and start training plan in January.  I will  have a three month and six month plans.   

Try to enjoy the training as much as possible.  Don't put high expectations on race day. Just prepare as life allows and your race day will work out.  We have a lot of time to next September. Start making the most of the training days and get plenty of rest. 

2013-09-27 12:53 PM
in reply to: daviddclough

New user

Alexandria, MN
ABOUT MYSELF: My name is Bryce Swenson. About to turn 31, married with an 18 month old little boy. I am a Credit Analyst, very exciting, in a smallish town in MN. Also a veteran with one tour to Iraq.

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: Started tris last summer because someone suggested it at a run I was at. That was my second running race and a little sprint would be my third. I was hooked immediately. This past summer did two olympics and two HIM as well as my first marathon (second is the Twin Cities in a few weeks). Volunteered at IMWI this year and the finish is an amazing event, can't wait!

WHY IMWI: It is the closest one to me, I can drive it at least.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: Pushing myself to new levels and completing something amazing.

TRAINING STRATEGY: Going to start putting together a plan here sometime soon, I have been loking at Endurance Nation, might by an outseason plan for this winter.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: I still feel like i am new and learning something everytime I do one of these, so not alot to offer in the way of tips. All I have is my experiences.

2013-09-28 12:54 PM
in reply to: swenso

Hey, to the IMWI 2014 Tribe!

It has been wonderful to read everyone's introduction this past week. What an interesting, diverse group we are.

Today I completed a 90 minute interval session on the KK then went for an OWS. Water was a brisk 61 degrees. Felt wonderful in the wetsuit. Our faces and hands were a bit stiff but otherwise it was great. A titch overcast and rainy at the end. My penultimate child, an 11-year old girl, decided she too wants to become an Ironman (she has a few years to get ready)! This morning was her maiden voyage in a wetsuit and an OWS! She did great. Not one complaint and all smiles. We need to work on sighting (who doesn't?) and longer swim legs without resting. She is on swim team and is otherwise a pretty competent swimmer. So very proud of her.

I think my ribs are about 95% healed, finally. I can almost take a deep, pain-free breath. Tomorrow I plan to run 17 and then I have a marathon next weekend. One final marathon the last weekend in October completes my 2013 season. Already looking forward to 2014 and getting going on a new training season.

Happy training, everyone!
2013-10-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: swenso

Originally posted by swenso

ABOUT MYSELF: My name is Bryce Swenson. About to turn 31, married with an 18 month old little boy. I am a Credit Analyst, very exciting, in a smallish town in MN. Also a veteran with one tour to Iraq.

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: Started tris last summer because someone suggested it at a run I was at. That was my second running race and a little sprint would be my third. I was hooked immediately. This past summer did two olympics and two HIM as well as my first marathon (second is the Twin Cities in a few weeks). Volunteered at IMWI this year and the finish is an amazing event, can't wait!

WHY IMWI: It is the closest one to me, I can drive it at least.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: Pushing myself to new levels and completing something amazing.

TRAINING STRATEGY: Going to start putting together a plan here sometime soon, I have been loking at Endurance Nation, might by an outseason plan for this winter.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: I still feel like i am new and learning something everytime I do one of these, so not alot to offer in the way of tips. All I have is my experiences.

Speaking of Endurance Nation, I highly recommend their plan for race execution (something that is highly overlooked). I have used their plan before I ever knew about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=topqR_vwc9o

The above link is the first of five parts of how to execute Ironman Wisconsin. I know it is still 11 months away, but it will give you a good idea of how to train, so you can train the way you will/should race.
2013-10-04 8:32 AM

User image

New user
Green Bay
Hello fellow athletes

I'm Mike, a 43 yo EM physician in Green Bay. 3 kids, one more (surprise!) due in Feb. Picked up triathlon four years ago when my noonball skills started to noticeably decline.

Four HIM's all at high cliff/dc tri, a few oly's, many sprints

location, also heard it was great time

Meeting other prospective Ironmen, training (I don't mind intense training as long as it's goal oriented) the race (every race has a story, right?)

there's a strategy to this?

Have a good time racing and training, there's no point otherwise.

Edited by wisconmd 2013-10-04 8:46 AM
2013-10-04 1:02 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Hello fellow athletes

Mike, 34 Grand Rapids, MI. 4 kids 6 and under - lovely wife - independent recruiter.

Done probably 8 sprints, 2 oly, 1 half, and now this will be my first and only Ironman. Guarantee it. Unless son(s)/daughter wants to do one with me someday.

Location, heard it is pretty fun. To run across Camp Randall with some Spartan gear on. Go Green.

Getting it over with, fo' sure.

Keep up, but don't burn out.

I am not new to IM, so I will keep my mouth shut. Holla at your boy.
2013-10-10 10:52 AM
in reply to: drbnd

Jeremy, 32, two sons 4 and 8, far west suburbs of chicago. Dropped 50+ lbs in the last 2 years after getting off the couch

This was my first year of tri's 2-sprints and 1-oly. Doing the chicago marathon this weekend and then taking a couple weeks to recover before I start into the IM training. Doing HIM Raleigh next June on the way to the full distance.

Location and heard it was a really good race to do and fit into the schedule for next year.

Seeing how fit I can get by race time. And clearly being able to call myself an Ironman

Um still working on it. Try some base building work of some kind until the end of the year and then start building.

Nothing I'm new to this thing.

Also, if there are any in the group in the west suburbs and are looking for group rides let me know. I train alone right now and amd going to try and get some group training in this year if I can figure it out.

2013-10-16 4:29 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

New user

About me: 38yo, small business owner, wife and 2 kidos.

IM experience: This will be my third (Louisville and CDA previously).

Why IMOO: It's close with awesome crowd support!

Training: That's a work in progress! LOL

Tips: If you have a family, keep them happy! They're true support team!

Good luck to all of ya'll!
2013-10-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: bennicholson

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Lot's of people here - that's a good thing.

I'm a little over a week post-first-marathon, which was a bit of a shock to me, and probably the hardest thing I've every done to date. (Funny how I've had several of those this year . . .). If nothing else, it serves as a gauge as to how much more I need to accomplish between now and September 7.

With running training done, it's time to hit the trainer and re-commit to my swim workouts - my strongest and weakest links, respectively.

So what do folks have on the plan for the fall and winter?
2013-10-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Regular
Chicago

Count me in as well! Very excited to tackle my first IM and so happy that it is Wisconsin! It's going to be a blast! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all - we can be a good resource for each other!

ABOUT MYSELF: I'm 31, married, no kids (but I do have a dog friend!). I live and work in Chicago so that can be a hassle getting in quality bike rides when you don't have a car. It can be done, but just requires some organization and extra time.

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: This will be my first IM! I have done various sprints/olympics since 2009 and in 2012 did my first HIM (Racine), and in 2012 did Racine and Pigman. I will be going for the Racine trifecta in 2014 bc I signed up for that Racine/IMWI package. Racine is literally a pain in the A$$ but I do love that course.

WHY IMWI: I have volunteered/spectated at IMWI for the past 2 years and I love the atmosphere. I have training partners and friends also doing this race. It's close enough to home that my parents and siblings will all come & that was important to me.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: Pushing myself to past old and into new limits. Hearing Mike Reilly say those magic words (sometimes when I'm running and make the turn toward my street I pretend it's the Madison capitol and I hear Reilly's voice in my head, ha!)

TRAINING STRATEGY: I train with Chicago Endurance Sports. As of right now, we have 15 people signed up for IMWI! I've trained with them for the past 2 years for HIMs  and it's a blast to be able to see so many friends on the course. We start "official" workouts in March, but right now I'm working on a swim focus and today I'm getting back on the bike after neglecting it for about 2 months. I've done the BT's 16 week cycle plan for the past two winters and I like it a lot and have seen good gains in my cycling. I'll probably rejoin the masters program in January.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: I still feel like a newb, so I'm not sure what I can offer other than to enjoy it! I'm a schedule-oriented person so I plan everything - make lists and create calendar appointments in my phone for all my workouts and also random things like "buy new bike pump" scheduled for today at noon

Melissa

2013-10-24 7:48 AM

User image

ABOUT MYSELF: 34 years old, wife and 6 year old son

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: This will be my first IM. I have completed 2 sprints a few years back and will be completing my 7th marathon in November

WHY IMWI: I live about 2 hours away from Madison. My running partner is Visually impaired, this is an event he has wanted to do and somehow i was suckered into it with him.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: Helping my partner achieve his goal of completing his first IM . A goal he cold not accomplish without the assistance of a sighted guide.

TRAINING STRATEGY: Working with our coaches. We will leave the strategy up to them.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: Being that I am a rookie I don't have any tips. It's never too early to start training.
2013-10-24 8:59 AM

User image

West Bend, WI
Hi Everyone,

I'm so excited to get started. The official start of training is January, but cycling class and swim class start next week. I'm looking forward to seeing you all out on the course training and racing.

About Myself: I'm 38 years old (turn 40 in Nov next year, giving myself this experience as a birthday gift), 1 husband, 2 kids (6,9). I work full time and have active kids, so fitting all this training in will be a challenge in and of itself.

Triathlon Experience: I've been in triathlon for 3 years. I started the year my brother chose to do IMWI the first time. I figured if he could do an Ironman I could at least do a sprint. I started with 2 sprints the first year and moved up to olympics and HIM in the second year. I live in Wisconsin and have done Racine twice. I've had the chance to ride the Ironman course once but have spectated and volunteered several times. IMWI has an awesome atmosphere and I'm looking forward to the support out on the course (I'm gonna need it!)

Looking Forward To...Pushing myself and meeting a lot of people. I'm also excited to train (at least a little bit) with my brother and good friend who will both be racing next year.

Training Strategy: I will be doing group training with a company near the Milwaukee area. I get to meet with my coach next week and get my focus for the next few months before the true training begins. The big challenge is fitting it all in. I plan to set a schedule with my husband and kids and really work hard to stick to it. There will probably be a lot of early mornings.

Tips: I've only ridden the course once, but...HILLS!!! Train hills and enjoy the experience. I will only be doing this once in my life, so I plan to soak it all in.

Jess

2013-10-24 10:13 AM
in reply to: JKreuzig

User image

New user
Kenosha
WOW! lots of folks and good things out here.

ABOUT MYSELF: 50 years old female (will be 51 by race time).

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: This will be my first IM. I have completed dozens of triathlons from Sprints to Oly's to 1/2 IM's. Have completed a good number of 1/2 Mary's and 2 Marathons.

WHY IMWI: We live about 2 hours away from Madison. Need to do the Home state race first! Gordon_mom and I have been looking forward to a full IM for a few years. We've been training hard working towards a full.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: The challenges of training and crossing the finish line.

TRAINING STRATEGY: Working with our coaches. We will leave the strategy up to them.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: Lots of base building. Slow and steady to avoid injury. This is about endurance and stamina. Most importantly, Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will!
2013-10-27 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4857965

So what kinda of workouts are you putting in now? What kinda of volume? I'm going to give the maffetone system a try for a while... Anyone have any luck with going that route?
2013-10-30 8:59 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Just doing base work. This week is Masters 3x , bike 3x , short runs 2x . 7.25 hours for the week.

Edited by jlruhnke 2013-10-30 9:00 AM
2013-10-31 10:54 AM
in reply to: jthorud

User image

Regular
Chicago

Swimming and biking 4x a week each. Taking a little running break. The lady in my swim lane this morning had on the same swim cap as me (Chicago Tri 2012) so we chit chatted about races next year. She's also doing Madison so that will be kind of fun if I can have a new swim buddy. And of course I left my swimsuit in the locker room this a.m. Called the gym and they can't find it! Womp womp.

2013-10-31 11:20 AM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Same here...just really trying to get some base work done as well. Getting some good trainer rides in, and some runs. I will admit, I'm lacking motivation right now, and REALLY need to get a swift kick in the boot soon.

Anyone ever have to deal with Extensor Tendonitis? It's been flaring up (again) in my left foot, and really is making me concerned for when I need to start ramping up my run training. And suggestions? I've been icing and doing calf stretches, but not getting anywhere.

Happy Halloween folks!

2013-10-31 11:28 AM
in reply to: Gitterdone

User image

New user
Kenosha
Base building. Long, slow runs and trainer time. Swimming. And of course, lots of strength circuits.
2013-10-31 9:52 PM

User image

West Bend, WI
I met with my coach yesterday and talked about workouts for the next two months. I'll be joining a masters swim class and an aquatech class offered at our local YMCA, along with one other day of the week. My cycling class started yesterday and I'll be riding 2-3 others days. At this point, I'll be running only one day a week with additional longer runs every other week. Looks like this schedule will be do-able for the next two months. I'm looking forward to jumping in next week.
2013-11-02 4:38 PM
in reply to: JKreuzig

Hello!

I am concentrating on recovery from illness and injury! So very slow so far. Finally made it back into the pool this week for four solid MIW workouts. Felt somewhat sluggish and awkward since it's been a while. I definitely have lost significant endurance and strength. Aside from swimming, I am concentrating on KK intervals and longish spin sessions and spin/bricks before work. Sundays are my running and yoga days.

For the rest of 2013 and through to March my emphasis is to regain strength and make it through some intense health issues.
2013-11-03 6:04 AM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Building base running and some trainer rides. My real pain will start 1/1. Good luck to all, keep it up!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 66290 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
Views: 101244 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
Views: 133699 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
Views: 131691 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
Views: 103924 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.