General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-09-17 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Hello IMoo 2014!!!!!

2013-09-17 5:37 PM
in reply to: daviddclough

User image

New user

Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Hello! First IM for me, glad to be doing it in my home state. Only 11 months and 3 weeks to train!
2013-09-18 11:07 AM
in reply to: JWskiman

User image

Regular
Chicago
I'm in as well. It will be my first Ironman! I signed up with the race package (Racine).
2013-09-18 11:39 AM
in reply to: doxie

New user

I finished IM Wisc for the first time this year and unfortunately my wife wouldn't let me sign up again. (Kids, Kids Kids) Enjoy every moment the year will just fly by! Good luck everyone.
2013-09-18 11:45 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Looking forward to it. It will be my first IM as well.
2013-09-18 12:02 PM
in reply to: mjschmitz

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by mjschmitz I finished IM Wisc for the first time this year and unfortunately my wife wouldn't let me sign up again. (Kids, Kids Kids) Enjoy every moment the year will just fly by! Good luck everyone.

Yep, I have 3 sons of my own.  I have empathy.

2013-09-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
in for 2014!  will be my fourth start and, God willing, my third finish!  last one i did was 2011.
2013-09-19 5:56 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I was actually told the day after IMWI this year I could do it again in 2014 by my wife... I being the far more intelligent one that day knew that was a "trap" set by my wife for a future meltdown/argument so I took the safe road and opted out of 2014. We have another kiddo due in February so I told her 2015 would be my next IM.

Good luck to all of you though. We are planning on coming up regardless and volunteering so that I can sign up for 2015 as long as I decide I am going to do IMMO instead of another course. Really want to redeem my bike time because of the broken spoke and see what I could really do! Thinking wet-suit stripper so that I can get out to one of the hills and cheer all you crazies on!
2013-09-19 6:44 AM
in reply to: Bevie

I'm in for my second IMWI! So excited.

To bring a little formality to this thread let's introduce ourselves. I'm not sure how to make the subject headers bold. If someone can do that, please go ahead.

Tell us a little about yourself

Mom of five kids. Work full time as an attorney. I am not a natural athlete. I started running in 2009 and ran my first marathon that year. Since then, I have completed probably ten marathons, a number of half marathons, two HIM distance tris and IMWI 2013.

What is your IM/Triathlon Experience?

Two local half IM distance tris and IMWI 2013.

Why did you choose IM WI?

It’s a reasonable distance from home and has a great reputation.

What are you most looking forward to?

Training much more intelligently and consistently. Having an injury/accident-free day. The whole IM weekend is a blast.

What is your planned training strategy?

Bike many more hills. Concentrate on bike/run bricks. Consistency week over week.

What tips can you offer to first timers or those who are new to triathlon?

I am new to triathlon so nothing particularly insightful. Try and have good life/training balance. It’s easy to let triathlon preparation take over one’s life. I was super stressed toward the end of August. This year I will try and stay level headed and have fun.
2013-09-19 9:30 AM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
And here we go for my first....excited...nervous....but looking forward to the training (ask me that in 9 months).

Tell us a little about yourself:

Dad of three boys, Kindergarten through Middle School. Nurse by trade, but don't work as a nurse anymore. More the computer side of life in healthcare. Swimmer by nature, started competitive swimming at the age of 6, finished my second year in college. Can't bike or run worth a lick. Began working out to get my health in order, got suckered into my first sprint and was hooked after that. I always said I had no interest in doing an Ironman....until I met the Donkey Nation. SOLD! What is your IM/Triathlon Experience?

Why did you choose IM WI? I've done several Sprints, Oly's and a couple 1/2's. Every race is an experience to me....something new to learn.

What are you most looking forward to? I'm looking forward to buckling down with training...remotivating myself to the sport and workouts I enjoy. I look forward to challenging myself on Sept. 7th like I've never done before. Face my fears...and conquer them.

What is your planned training strategy? I intend on doing base work this fall including balanced S/B/R, but also work on core exercises and weight lifting. I need to lean out, and get stronger 'engines'. So far so good. I then plan on using the BT Intermediate Ironman Plan, with some adaptations.

What tips can you offer to first timers or those who are new to triathlon? I can only offer swim advice for others...in general. This will be my first IM, so the whole experience will be new. Anyone local looking for swim help....let me know. I love to coach it up!

I look forward to hearing from everyone else!!

2013-09-19 10:43 AM
in reply to: 0

I am an actuary when I am not daydreaming about triathlons. I'm 31 and this will be my first Ironman.

I bought my first (and only) adult bike in 2008. I didn't do any races that year. I started racing triathlons in 2009 and did only sprints and olys. In 2010 I did my first Half and I blew up because of very high heat and humidity. 2011 and 2012 were dedicated to only biking events. 2013 was my second Half and it went much better. I'll get a third Half done sometime in June 2014, but I am undecided on which one yet.

Biking is by far my favorite leg, so I wanted to go after a course with a challenging profile. I don't think a flat and fast race would interest me too much. It also helps that IM WI is the closest one to me and has great crowd support.

Hearing Mike Reilly calling out my name.

I am actually going to attempt to follow a plan this year for the first time. However, I know that I will not follow the plan strictly. There will be many deviations. It will be quite an adjustment to ramp up the training this year.

I plan on coming up and riding the loop at least two times over the next year. I drove the loop when I was up to volunteer this year and I biked some of it when I was up for Horribly Hilly Hundred.

It's my first time, so I'm not so sure I am qualified to answer this. The goal I tell everyone that I am shooting for is 16:59. I think this should be the primary goal for everyone's first time. I have a realistic finishing goal that is several hours lower, but I won't tell this to anyone outside of BT.

Edited by DealerTodd 2013-09-19 11:05 AM

2013-09-19 10:59 AM
in reply to: DealerTodd

User image

over a barrier
This will be my fourth and final IMOO.

Currently recovering from collarbone surgery, don't recommend flying into a ditch at 40mph. Hopefully I'll be cleared to resume training soon, stuck on the trainer for awhile I think.
2013-09-19 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
--Tell us a little about yourself

Father of 2 teens and a 6 yo. I am a software engineer. I discovered triathlon 7 years ago. I lost 70 lbs when I lost my drivers license for 2 years and had to commute to work on my bike... year round. I discovered running accidently when I was taking a walk underdressed in subzero weather. Today I run and bike outdoors year round. Steel studded tires are awesome.

--What is your IM/Triathlon Experience?

4X IMoo finisher. 13 marathons 1 BQ and another within 20 seconds 13 half marathons 2 HIM a bunch of sprints and olys

--Why did you choose IM WI?

I LOVE Madison

--What are you most looking forward to?

Sharing battle stories.

--What is your planned training strategy?

Lots.

--What tips can you offer to first timers or those who are new to triathlon?

Have fun and throw the heart rate monitor in the garbage... numbers don't matter. I have never used a HRM or a speedometer. Commuting to work is a load of fun. Family comes first. Sometimes IM can have a higher priority than everything else when it shouldn't.

Edited by daviddclough 2013-09-19 2:21 PM
2013-09-19 3:18 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Bevie I was actually told the day after IMWI this year I could do it again in 2014 by my wife... I being the far more intelligent one that day knew that was a "trap" set by my wife for a future meltdown/argument so I took the safe road and opted out of 2014. We have another kiddo due in February so I told her 2015 would be my next IM. Good luck to all of you though. We are planning on coming up regardless and volunteering so that I can sign up for 2015 as long as I decide I am going to do IMMO instead of another course. Really want to redeem my bike time because of the broken spoke and see what I could really do! Thinking wet-suit stripper so that I can get out to one of the hills and cheer all you crazies on!

Here's a thought Bevie,  volunteer for a shift on Saturday (Bag Drop for instance) and then watch the swim start and exit from the helix then get out to the bike course.  i did that this year and got to about five spots on the bike course tracking two athletes.

just a thought.

2013-09-19 3:30 PM
in reply to: djdavey

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Father of a 5 year old son.  Job is a corporate training for the white collar and professional global staff at CNH

--What is your IM/Triathlon Experience?

3 time ironman wisconsin starter, 2 time finsiher, all at IMWI.  many HIMs, a couple of OLYs and some Sprints as well.  also do ultras with a 100 mile completion and three (soon to be four) 50 mile finishes including Rim2Rim2Rim

--Why did you choose IM WI? 

No desire to travel far for races, Madison is 80 miles away! 

--What are you most looking forward to? 

the journey to the start 

--What is your planned training strategy?

um, we have to train for this?  Gitterdone said no training involved.  WTF????.

--What tips can you offer to first timers or those who are new to triathlon?

Be consistent and persistant with your training and nutrition.

2013-09-19 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by Bevie

I was actually told the day after IMWI this year I could do it again in 2014 by my wife... I being the far more intelligent one that day knew that was a "trap" set by my wife for a future meltdown/argument so I took the safe road and opted out of 2014. We have another kiddo due in February so I told her 2015 would be my next IM.

Good luck to all of you though. We are planning on coming up regardless and volunteering so that I can sign up for 2015 as long as I decide I am going to do IMMO instead of another course. Really want to redeem my bike time because of the broken spoke and see what I could really do! Thinking wet-suit stripper so that I can get out to one of the hills and cheer all you crazies on!

Chris sorry to hear it but probably the right move. You had a great race and I'm sure you'll get your redemption come 2015. I'm going to try and come back for this year's race as I have 3 friends racing two of which were there to volunteer and support me so I would like to return the favor as it made a big difference for me.

Good luck to everyone signed up for 2014, for anyone not local or doing this race for the first time I guarantee you are going to love it. Madison, WI knows how to do an Ironman! They totally embrace this event, You will not be disappointed. It was an awesome experience for me doing my first one there this past year and I hope it is the same for everyone else.

2013-09-20 4:53 AM

User image

Hi everyone!   Thanks for starting this 2014 thread, David.   And thanks for making it more personal, sthoresen.     My daughter and I were in Madison volunteering this year and cheering strikyr to his amazing finish and we loved the experience.   I'm signed up and this will be my first Ironman.  I'm beyond excited and a day hasn't gone by so far that I've not had visions of the race in one form or the other.   In my dreams I've already not finished the swim and crashed on my bike going down the helix.  Surprised Hoping the next year of training will turn my dreams from all that can go wrong into positive confidences that I can cross the finish line in the allotted time. Smile

ABOUT MYSELF:  I'm an old lady named Brenda - married 32 years to a wonderful guy who still makes me laugh everyday.  Mother of two adopted kids and one Great Dane.  Accountant who's blessed to work out of my house.  Oh, and I love Jesus.

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE:   7 years of being in this sport.  Worked from sprints to oly's to some HIMs.  This will be my first Ironman, although I'm attempting to go 140.6 with some friends on Sunday.  We're calling it the HomeBrew 140.6.  It'll be a test of where I am in my training and what I need to focus on.

WHY IMWI:  It's in driving distance to my home, every report I've read about it says how amazing it is, it has a lake swim which is wetsuit legal (I'm a weak swimmer), it has a campground close to the start (I love camping).

LOOKING FORWARD TO:  Like gitterdone I'm looking forward to take my body and mind places it's not been before, seeing what I'm made of.

TRAINING STRATEGY:  Still working this out.  Definitely need swim help. Trying to decide if I need to hire an on-line coach or use a packaged plan.  I live in the cornfields and flatlands of Indiana so doing bike hill work will be a challenge but I'm determined to try.  I'll be running some ultras to push my feet to go beyond what they want.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT:  Keep it happy and keep life with training in perspective. 

Looking forward to learning from this group and sharing the journey! 

Edited by bswcpa 2013-09-20 4:58 AM
2013-09-20 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Originally posted by djdavey

um, we have to train for this?  Gitterdone said no training involved.  WTF????.

Hmm, that doesn't sound like me. Must be my twin!
2013-09-20 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
This looks like the right place to check-in with all the other crazy's doing IMWI 2014.  I would like to join the group and all the fun that will transpire over the next 12 months.

ABOUT MYSELF:  My name is Scott & I'm 45 years old, married & no kids. I work as a computer programmer/analyst for a large corporation that owns and operates assisted & independent living solutions for senior citizens around the country.  I have many hobbies and interests, but this summer it seems that Ironman will be my go-to hobby.

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE:   5 years in the sport & have done every distance several times except Ironman which I have only done once (2012 Wisconsin).

WHY IMWI:  It's awesome & it's less than two hours from my home.  Furthermore, I love the challenging bike course which is the crowning jewel at Wisconsin.  The bike terrain is similiar to what I ride around my home.  I don't have any other Ironman to compare against Wisconsin, but from what I've heard it is one of the better venues.  I do know the spectators, the volunteers and the bike/run/swim course are all outstanding.  It's also a very well run event as it should be for 700-some dollars

LOOKING FORWARD TO:  Summer 2014 & training with friends.

TRAINING STRATEGY:  In 2012 I followed a BT plan and this year I might improvise with my own plan (I did that for my last HIM and it worked well). 

TIPS ON THIS SPORT:  It's a way of life and has little to do with any single race (except for Ironman which everything should revolve around!).  Have fun and enjoy the journey.
2013-09-20 2:37 PM

I'm not doing this Ironman this year, but I have five times, and I'll be doing it again in 2015. In the years I'm not racing, I train for cycling and try to keep a base for Ironman. I'll be volunteering again so I can sign up for IMWI 2015. Look for me at the Run Special Needs bag (if that sounds strange to you, no worries, feel free to ask me or anyone else on the blog if you have any questions). I live in Madison and ride the loop weekly, so let me know if you have any questions about training, the race, Madison...or life.

ABOUT MYSELF: I'm Peter, 32 years old, wife, no kids...also a computer programmer...but I don't know Scott. There are several of us world-wide.

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: I mostly do Ironman (5x), but occasionally do sprints/olympic (3x). Haven't done a Half (0x), but hope to try one this year.

WHY IMWI: I can sleep in my own bed. Don't have to pay to travel or stay overnight. If I forget something, my house is 15 minutes from the start.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: Cheering on every will-be Ironman in 2014...I'll be volunteering. Everyone is going to finish next year...pretty certain...at least everyone who reads this blog (BT karma works!).

TRAINING STRATEGY: Start with porters, transition to ales and lagers, end with weissbiers, witbeers, and pilsners. Keep the VO2 maxed and the lbs mined.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: When in doubt, go slower. If it's sore, ignore it. If it's a shooting pain, walk. Never stop, never quit, always keep moving. Train more quality than quantity. Start training now (don't wait for a 20-, 30-, 40-week plan. Build a long solid, easy base, so you'll be ready for intensity during the summer.

I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions about finishing in 16 hours or finishing in 10 hours either on the blog or via direct message. I highly recommend finding a weekend or making a long weekend to come to Madison and train, or at least ride the bike course. It is pretty technical, and course knowledge is a huge advantage. There are people riding it every weekend, even December and January. You won't have any trouble finding people to ride with in June, July and August.

Have fun and good luck!

Edited by pnelson 2013-09-20 2:39 PM
2013-09-20 3:02 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Thanks so much for making yourself and your knowledge accessible to us IMMoo wanna-be's, Peter.   It's folks like you who make this sport so encouraging and fun.  Good advice already!

2013-09-20 3:08 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina

I'm Kurt, 59, retired corporate refugee but married to a wonderful executive who keeps me for entertainment value. Father of 3 grown sons. Love the IM challenge and healthy lifestyle it requires.

Been doing triathlons for 6 years, lots of sprints, Olys, 5 HIMs, and IMFL in 2011.

Missed out on IMCHOO registration so went with combo registration package of IMWI and Steelhead 70.3. It’s a reasonable distance from home and has a great reputation.

Hearing hundreds of genuine cow bells. Training much more intelligently and consistently. Having an injury/accident-free day. The whole IM weekend is a blast.

Follow the BT intermediate IM plan and ride lots of hills.

Do the training and practice race day nutrition. Don't obsess on every workout and minute of training. Have fun and stay positive.
2013-09-21 7:24 AM
in reply to: kweezen

This is an awesome group!!!! We are going to have a ton of fun over the next year. Sharing war stories of herculean training days, frustrations, fears, excitement, ups and downs, and finally share our epic race day recaps!

I feel like my second IM will eclipse my first because I can relax and not stress as much. I am anxious to get back into the swing of training, running and swimming in particular. My ribs are still very tender from the crash and I can't take deep breaths. I planned to try and run a slow ten today but am worried about aggravating my ribs. May just to 90 on the KK and call it a day. Run and yoga tomorrow? Back to the pool Monday. Two weeks out of the water is waaaayyyy too long!

Today is a seriously over scheduled day: neighborhood chili cook off, swim team practice for child #4, Girl Scout bridging ceremony for girls #3 and 4, and a 5th birthday/family party for girl #5. My baby is five today!!!! Our kids range in age from 21 to five. Four girls and a boy. Plus, we had our 24th wedding anniversary yesterday. Our son turns 19 tomorrow. Kids grow up way too fast.

For those of you with young kids, training for IM will require a very supportive partner and a willingness to compromise on your best laid training plans to be available for family. It's huge balancing challenge.

2013-09-21 11:41 PM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Hello everyone, super excited for the upcoming year.

ABOUT MYSELF: I lucked out and made it in through the online registration. I'm a father of an 8 month old baby boy who still doesn't sleep through the night, but I am certainly hoping that changes. It's been a super busy summer and I'm looking forward to a lot of hard work this next year.

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: This will be my first ironman and the only other tri I've done is a sprint. While most would consider this a poor choice, I firmly believe if you truly want something you can do anything.

WHY IMWI: I've read and heard such great things about the race. I also live in Green Bay and I used to live in Madison so it seemed like the logical event to register for.

LOOKING FORWARD TO: The crazy people of Wisconsin coming out and supporting all of us foolish people going after a goal!

TRAINING STRATEGY: Stick to the plan and figure out what kind of nutrition will work best for me. Join the local multisport club and work on open water swims.

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: More of a life tip, but enjoy the ride you only get one.
2013-09-22 5:57 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
ABOUT MYSELF: 35 year old dude. no wife, no kids. I have a retired greyhound named Buster

IM/TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE: This past summer was my first doing triathlon. Prior to that I did mostly running and some cycling rides. 2012 was my first marathon.

WHY IMWI: I live in the Twin Cities and grew up in WI. Close for me and my family

LOOKING FORWARD TO: Everything about it over the next 50 weeks.

TRAINING STRATEGY: Still working this out. Just joined a Masters group. Starting to think about coaching options as well

TIPS ON THIS SPORT: I am a beginner. I am looking to you peeps for tips.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 66082 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
Views: 101048 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
Views: 133479 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
Views: 131482 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
Views: 103722 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.