Calgary
Subject: Funny NRA ad

2013-09-18 9:25 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Funny NRA ad

I usually like the funny or die videos but that one was pretty dumb and didn't even make much sense.

I suspect they were trying to portray the NRA as being for everyone having a gun including criminals.  However, why did they go so far as to say the NRA wants every young black man to have a gun?  Seems as though they're insinuating that young black men are all criminals to me.  tisk tisk

2013-09-18 10:41 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by tuwood

I usually like the funny or die videos but that one was pretty dumb and didn't even make much sense.

I suspect they were trying to portray the NRA as being for everyone having a gun including criminals.  However, why did they go so far as to say the NRA wants every young black man to have a gun?  Seems as though they're insinuating that young black men are all criminals to me.  tisk tisk

Boy did you ever miss the point.  Southern Democrats controlled freed slaves by forbidding them from owning firearms.  Clarence Thomas even referenced this in McDonald vs. Chicago.

The tisk tisk is on you sir.

2013-09-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by Pector55

Boy did you ever miss the point.  Southern Democrats controlled freed slaves by forbidding them from owning firearms.  Clarence Thomas even referenced this in McDonald vs. Chicago.

OK, I'm even more confused now.  So Southern Democrats wouldn't allow freed slaves to own firearms back in the 1800's.  What does that have to do with the NRA?  Is the NRA trying to keep guns out of the hands of African Americans?

I am honestly trying to understand where the satire, humor, or irony is in this but it's escaping me.

What's the "double standard"?

2013-09-18 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
PA

OK, I'm even more confused now.  So Southern Democrats wouldn't allow freed slaves to own firearms back in the 1800's.  What does that have to do with the NRA?  Is the NRA trying to keep guns out of the hands of African Americans?

I am honestly trying to understand where the satire, humor, or irony is in this but it's escaping me.

The NRA has always promoted an individual's right to own a firearm.  They have always promoted the right for one to defend themselves.  Your attempt to associate them with being racist because they encourage firearm ownership for black was way off target.  The rest of your questions, you can figure out on your own.  I'm just clarifying their long-standing position.

2013-09-18 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

The NRA has always promoted an individual's right to own a firearm.  They have always promoted the right for one to defend themselves.  Your attempt to associate them with being racist because they encourage firearm ownership for black was way off target.  The rest of your questions, you can figure out on your own.  I'm just clarifying their long-standing position.

I feel like I'm spiraling in a pit of confusion.  Please somebody save me. 

The video linked above is a satire piece made up to pretend it was the NRA.  It wasn't an NRA commercial.
My point was the video seemed to insinuate that black people were criminals, not the NRA.  I'm just trying to understand what "double standard" they were trying to point out through the use of "satire" in the video.

I'm a member of the NRA and I agree with you completely about what the NRA stands for and promotes.  I'm just trying to understand this stupid video. 

2013-09-18 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

It's the NRA.  You're not expected to 'understand'.  Just go buy more GUNS!  Innocent

And shouldn't this be a "Gun Thread" item?

2013-09-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by jeffnboise

It's the NRA.  You're not expected to 'understand'.  Just go buy more GUNS!  Innocent

And shouldn't this be a "Gun Thread" item?

Sarah Silverstone doesn't have any guns.

Edited by DanielG 2013-09-18 12:30 PM
2013-09-18 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
PA

I feel like I'm spiraling in a pit of confusion.  Please somebody save me. 

The video linked above is a satire piece made up to pretend it was the NRA.  It wasn't an NRA commercial.
My point was the video seemed to insinuate that black people were criminals, not the NRA.  I'm just trying to understand what "double standard" they were trying to point out through the use of "satire" in the video.

I'm a member of the NRA and I agree with you completely about what the NRA stands for and promotes.  I'm just trying to understand this stupid video. 

Yeah, sorry.. I wasn't attacking you at all.  I was annoyed at the vid's ignorance.  I confused it by adding the last sentence.  (the tisk on you part)

2013-09-18 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
If Travon had a gun nothing bad would have happened while he was wearing his hoodie and eating his skittles.
2013-09-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: ckallpoints

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ckallpoints If Travon had a gun nothing bad would have happened while he was wearing his hoodie and eating his skittles.

Word

2013-09-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

After reading all the posts, I checked out the video.  Honestly, I didn't go as deep as the southern democrats in the 1800's and such.

Basically, it seemed a poorly written sketch about starting a new NRA that allows young African Americans to have guns which for some reason they imply that the NRA doesn't allow it?  OR, since NRA says they shouldn't be in the hands of criminals (which they shouldn't) and the criminals are...?

I think there were some pretty funny lines, but the sketch in all was a stretch to make any real associations (IMO).

Oh, and I think Silverman is still kind of hot...

2013-09-18 3:50 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Originally posted by Kido

Oh, and I think Silverman is still kind of hot...

WORD word!

2013-09-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Elite
Silverman has always been hot and quite funny... but this video was stupid, and not funny. And no, it isn't because I can't have a sense of humor about the NRA... it was just plain dumb.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Funny NRA ad Rss Feed