General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Travel to Seattle/Portland Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-26 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
Subject: Travel to Seattle/Portland
Need some "locals only" advice from anyone who lives in the Seattle and Portland areas.  My wife are traveling to both places at the end of August.  We've both briefly been to Seattle but never to Portland.  I know that both are reported to be very bike and outdoor friendly places.  I'd like to go or a bike ride and/or jog while I'm there.  Can anyone recommend some bike/running trails, areas to ride, and bike shops to rent decent bikes?  Thanks in advance.

2006-07-26 10:32 AM
in reply to: #493453

Veteran
silverton oregon
Subject: RE: Travel to Seattle/Portland

There is Forsest Park, Washington Park and to run in and also running up the hill to the hospital (OHSU) but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.  I think you can bike that too.

You can drive out to Blue Lake park in Troutdale.   THere's tri going on there next weekend I think.  PDXmeg just posted that one for me.  There is Hagg Lake that if fun to bike around.   

I don't know of any bike shops off the top of my head.  I moved from Portland about 11 years ago and now live about 30 minutes southeast of Portland.  If you want some great Mt Bike off road stuff to do, we live about 14 miles from Silver Falls State Park and there is wonderful bike paths there for Mt bikes.  Lots of hiking around 10 or so water falls. 

I hope this helps out.  If you have free time and want to meet for dinner, My husband and I would love to take you  to a great little place up there. 

Have fun on your trip.   

2006-07-26 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Burke Gilman Trail in Seattle is really nice.  I'm not currently local, sorry, but I have been a local Seattle-ite for a long time, and I'm headed back there in less than a year for law school.  Oh I'm so excited!
2006-07-26 10:35 AM

User image

Stillwater, MN
The recent Seattle Magazine (you may be able to get it online or ath library) ran a great article on all things outdoors, including riding. I'll try to find the article and ad a link later. Also, www.bikeportland.org.

I am going to Portland in late September to run the Marathon and Seattle in the near future frp work; wish I was going sooner - enjoy!
2006-07-26 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
My favorite place to train in Seattle is Seward Park. It is the perfect place to train IMO because I can do OW swims, bike and run there. For a good ride start from the park and head north on Lake Washington Blvd. There is a bike route that goes across the I-90 floating bridge over to Mercer Island. It is a particularly beautiful route as it is along Lake Washington and has great views of Mt. Rainier.

After your ride, you can run the 2.4 miles around the park or for longer runs you can head into the park. There is a great network of trails within the old growth forest. Many triathletes train here and you are very likely to see some swimming in Andrew's Bay. The water is pretty warm (in the 70's) and would be a great way to cool off after your ride and run.

Speedy Reedy is one of the local tri shops and I believe they rent bikes.

I hope this helps and have fun while you are up here.
2006-07-26 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
For Seattle and the east side of Lake Washington you can add to the Burke/Gilman, the Lake Sammamaish trail and the Cedar River trails. Amazing riding in the Snoqualmie river Valley as well among many others. Both are a mix or hard packed gravel and pavement for running and riding. Bike trail in west Seattle along Alki beach as well.

Seward Park and the Burke/Gilman are easily reached from DT Seattle. Speedy Reedy is actually on the Burke/Gilman and are great people.

2006-07-26 11:34 AM

Master
portland, or
In Portland, Forest Park is a great place to run and mountain bike. You can ride or run on Leif Ericson, which is a gravel road through the park with mile markers every 1/4 mile. You can then ride up hill on a handfull of fire roads. Most of the trails are closed to bikes. Wildwood trail is over 30 miles long, and is also marked every 1/4 mile. You reach Leif Ericson via NW Thurman St and there's a Fat Tire Farm bike shop that rents mountain bikes on NW Thurman and ~28th Ave.

The road to OHSU that someone mentioned in another post is Terwilliger, which is a popular running and riding route. The YMCA is at the foot of Terwilliger if you want a place to swim, and there's also a track there. From Terwilliger you can get on the Markum Trail for more trail running.

There are paths on both sides of the Willamette River downtown, with plenty of bridges to connect the two. I think a loop including the Steel Br. on the north and Hawthorne on the south is ~3 miles. On the eastside you can continue south (there's a very short stretch past the OMSI where you're on surface streets) on the trail and meet up with the Springwater Corridor. It goes south for a few more miles along the river. You would need a map, but from there you can work your way to the east-west portion of the Springwater Corridor which is quite long. I'm not sure how far, but 20-30 miles. It in turn intersects with the 205 bike trail which you can take north across the Columbia River into Washington. Basically, you can ride a hell of a long ways and stay primarily on bike trails if that's your desire.

I prefer riding on the roads. Plenty of bike lanes in downtown. Sauvie Island is just north of downtown and there's parking if you want to drive your bike(s) there. It's a 12 mile loop around the island, plus there's some out and back roads you can take. There's a large map in the parking area to get your bearings.

Mt. Tabor is another good area to run and ride.

Bike shops would include Bike Gallery, River City Bikes, Gateway Bikes, Bike n Hike. There are others, but these are the ones that might have rentals. I know you can rent tandems at Gateway (they also have a huge selection of tri bikes to drool over).

scott
2006-07-26 12:21 PM

User image

Seattle, WA
Check out Montlake Bicycles for your rental needs in Seattle(206-329-7333, 2223 24th Ave E., Seattle) . They are close to the Arboretum, Lake Washington "loop" and Burke Gilman Trail. These people know their stuff and are VERY nice.

And I'd second the recommendation for Seward Park - we live close by and bike, swim and run there often. Enjoy - it's a great time to visit the Northwest!

2006-07-27 1:04 AM
in reply to: #493760

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
Thanks so much for the advice guys.  I can't wait to go!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Travel to Seattle/Portland Rss Feed