General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training for improving biking? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-09-29 10:06 PM
in reply to: nfp105

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Weight training for improving biking?
There is a reason track cyclists don't ride the tour. Think about that. Unless you're presently riding 20 hours a week the single best thing you could do is ride more. Once you're riding that much then maybe you'll see some minor ancillary benefit from some strength training but until then riding more will pay much bigger dividends. You're basically asking if a 1:40/100 swimmer should lift weights. No, they should swim a ton more.

2013-09-29 10:18 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro

Shane - what about draft legal racing on very technical courses.  A lot of riders are spit out the back of the back after a turn when the pack will normally "jump" to try and drop riders....at least at the Jr. level.  All other training staying the same, wouldn't a racer who is lacking the fast twitch muscles for those jumps benefit from weight training?  Your talking about 15-20 of those mini-sprints in a 12 mile race.

2013-09-29 10:37 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by thebigb There is a reason track cyclists don't ride the tour. Think about that. Unless you're presently riding 20 hours a week the single best thing you could do is ride more. Once you're riding that much then maybe you'll see some minor ancillary benefit from some strength training but until then riding more will pay much bigger dividends. You're basically asking if a 1:40/100 swimmer should lift weights. No, they should swim a ton more.

It's not necessarily a zero-sum game.  If someone can do both (ride more AND lift weights) ... should they?  Or is that hour in the weight room a waste.

2013-09-29 10:40 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
, California
Originally posted by Left Brain

Shane - what about draft legal racing on very technical courses.  A lot of riders are spit out the back of the back after a turn when the pack will normally "jump" to try and drop riders....at least at the Jr. level.  All other training staying the same, wouldn't a racer who is lacking the fast twitch muscles for those jumps benefit from weight training?  Your talking about 15-20 of those mini-sprints in a 12 mile race.

They should ride more crits

I don't think anyone's saying weight training is useless.  Just that on a limited time budget, it should be lower priority.

2013-09-29 10:44 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by gsmacleod Shane

Looking at this graph again... this is NOT a measure of strength vs endurance.    This is a measure of MAX short-time power compared to a longer power output.

I'd rather see something like a one-rep max in the squat (possibly normalized by bodyweight as in the above graph) ... something that measures STRENGTH rather than POWER (strength x speed)   Is there any data like that out there?

If we knew the gearing and cadence used to generate the above graph... we could probably tease out the strength data... or at least see who was using high-torque/low-speed instead of low-torque/high-speed. 

Shane, is this your dataset, or do you know how to get the raw data?

2013-09-29 10:58 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

Master
Northern IL
What does the stairs explanation mean to you? Check a few posts for that.

2013-09-29 11:11 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Originally posted by spudone

I don't think anyone's saying weight training is useless.  Just that on a limited time budget, it should be lower priority.

I don't really have an opinion about what anyone is saying yet.....I'm still asking questions and reading material on the issue.

Get ready, because next I'm going to start asking about the type of weight training.

2013-09-30 12:27 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by brigby1 What does the stairs explanation mean to you? Check a few posts for that.

Are you talking to me?   Let's look at the stairs explanation. 

Most people associate power with muscles and muscle strength - the larger the muscles, the greater the power. This is only partially true. Smaller muscles that are properly toned can generate larger amounts of power than larger muscles that are not properly toned. This is why athletes that appear small may still be capable of great feats of strength and stamina.

Power is the rate at which work is done. The greater the power, the more work that can be done. In sports, the more power that the athlete can generate, the faster, farther, higher, etc., the athlete can go. Ultimately, the amount of power the athlete can generate goes back to how, and how much, the athlete trains and prepares for that particular sport.

Power is measured in watts. The best known reference to watts is with the light bulb. The greater the number of watts a light bulb can generate, the brighter the bulb. The greater the number of watts an athlete can generate, the stronger they will be in sports. The greater your level of fitness, the faster you should be able to run up the stairs or hill, thus the greater the amount of watts of power that you can generate.

First off, the author is clearly writing this for a SCIENCE class, not a fitness class.   He/She makes a few blunders in the opening paragraph that make this example not-so-useful in our case.  In the first paragraph, they start talking about bigger/smaller muscles, but then go on to muddy the waters by saying "Smaller muscles that are properly toned can generate larger amounts of power than larger muscles that are not properly toned."  IMHO, the author is essentially saying:  "Stronger muscles can make more power." 

In the second paragraph, the author states: "Power is the rate at which work is done. The greater the power, the more work that can be done."   Ummm... NO. (when you're considering the source of the power)  Work is a measure of Force x Distance,  Power is the rate at which you are doing work.    Work comes first, then power.  No Work, no Power.  Ever.  

In the third paragraph, the author states: "The greater the number of watts an athlete can generate, the stronger they will be in sports." This is nominally true.   Like the graph Shane shared above, the watts probably need to be normalized  by body weight.   From a dead stop, A 400kg sprinter making 400 watts is traveling much slower after 100m than a 100kg sprinter making 400 watts. 

Ultimately, it's a poor example.  In fact, when I was in high school we did this very experiment. We were all running up the stairs to see who generated the most POWER.  I was reasonably fit, but not extremely so.  I also weight about 180 pounds.  I could probably run a 9:00 mile, flat out.   My buddy was a year younger than me, and could run a 4:30 mile.  He also weight about a buck twenty.  He got SO ANGRY that he couldn't generate as much power as me.  He was not in our physics class, so he didn't understand that I was framing the competition in my favor.  His time was slightly faster than mine, but I was stronger, and heavier, and able to put forth a few good seconds of effort.   So the POWER calculation always went in my favor.  Thankfully it was only 1 flight of stairs, not 5!!!

2013-09-30 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IME most draft legal athletes would be better served to focus on lots of group riding and racing some crits to build the ability to handle the jumps and settle back in once the effort goes down. Usually the jumps aren't to the point that an athlete will be maxed out but rather they will be above (sometime by a fair amount) and be able to recover while riding just below threshold until their next pull or jump.

Not sure if you've seen it but in the San Diego ITU race last year, Matt Chrabot released his power file and his peak 10s was "only" 700W - lots of power but unlikely anywhere near his max for 10s.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Matt_Chrabot_s_power_file_2762.html

Shane
2013-09-30 7:21 AM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by brigby1 What does the stairs explanation mean to you? Check a few posts for that.

Are you talking to me?   Let's look at the stairs explanation. 

Most people associate power with muscles and muscle strength - the larger the muscles, the greater the power. This is only partially true. Smaller muscles that are properly toned can generate larger amounts of power than larger muscles that are not properly toned. This is why athletes that appear small may still be capable of great feats of strength and stamina.

Power is the rate at which work is done. The greater the power, the more work that can be done. In sports, the more power that the athlete can generate, the faster, farther, higher, etc., the athlete can go. Ultimately, the amount of power the athlete can generate goes back to how, and how much, the athlete trains and prepares for that particular sport.

Power is measured in watts. The best known reference to watts is with the light bulb. The greater the number of watts a light bulb can generate, the brighter the bulb. The greater the number of watts an athlete can generate, the stronger they will be in sports. The greater your level of fitness, the faster you should be able to run up the stairs or hill, thus the greater the amount of watts of power that you can generate.

First off, the author is clearly writing this for a SCIENCE class, not a fitness class.   He/She makes a few blunders in the opening paragraph that make this example not-so-useful in our case.  In the first paragraph, they start talking about bigger/smaller muscles, but then go on to muddy the waters by saying "Smaller muscles that are properly toned can generate larger amounts of power than larger muscles that are not properly toned."  IMHO, the author is essentially saying:  "Stronger muscles can make more power." 

In the second paragraph, the author states: "Power is the rate at which work is done. The greater the power, the more work that can be done."   Ummm... NO. (when you're considering the source of the power)  Work is a measure of Force x Distance,  Power is the rate at which you are doing work.    Work comes first, then power.  No Work, no Power.  Ever.  

In the third paragraph, the author states: "The greater the number of watts an athlete can generate, the stronger they will be in sports." This is nominally true.   Like the graph Shane shared above, the watts probably need to be normalized  by body weight.   From a dead stop, A 400kg sprinter making 400 watts is traveling much slower after 100m than a 100kg sprinter making 400 watts. 

Ultimately, it's a poor example.  In fact, when I was in high school we did this very experiment. We were all running up the stairs to see who generated the most POWER.  I was reasonably fit, but not extremely so.  I also weight about 180 pounds.  I could probably run a 9:00 mile, flat out.   My buddy was a year younger than me, and could run a 4:30 mile.  He also weight about a buck twenty.  He got SO ANGRY that he couldn't generate as much power as me.  He was not in our physics class, so he didn't understand that I was framing the competition in my favor.  His time was slightly faster than mine, but I was stronger, and heavier, and able to put forth a few good seconds of effort.   So the POWER calculation always went in my favor.  Thankfully it was only 1 flight of stairs, not 5!!!

You missed Shane's post.

2013-09-30 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

Originally posted by gsmacleod Shane

What can be gleaned from this plot with nearly a zero slope slope and an R2 value way down at 0.1196? Not trying to be snooty, just trying to figure out what the data being represented is supposed to mean.

2013-09-30 7:51 AM

User image

Champion

Looking at this graph again... this is NOT a measure of strength vs endurance.    This is a measure of MAX short-time power compared to a longer power output.

I'd rather see something like a one-rep max in the squat (possibly normalized by bodyweight as in the above graph) ... something that measures STRENGTH rather than POWER (strength x speed)   Is there any data like that out there?

If we knew the gearing and cadence used to generate the above graph... we could probably tease out the strength data... or at least see who was using high-torque/low-speed instead of low-torque/high-speed. 

While it is not a graph of 1RM versus FTP, it uses a proxy for strength which is 5s max power. 5s max power is highly correlated with strength since it is an anaerobic effort so it works well to compare strength to endurance.

Power is simply a convenient metric to measure what the athlete is doing in different situations; strength-endurance is a continuum and when time is short, we move toward the strength end and when time is extended, endurance is emphasized.

Not my dataset so I don't have the raw data but these data do indeed compare strength to endurance.

Shane
2013-09-30 7:53 AM
in reply to: newtriguy

User image

Champion
Originally posted by newtriguy

What can be gleaned from this plot with nearly a zero slope slope and an R2 value way down at 0.1196? Not trying to be snooty, just trying to figure out what the data being represented is supposed to mean.

That there is no correlation between strength and endurance in cyclists.

Shane
2013-09-30 8:00 AM

User image

My view on strength training:

Almost all the comments made by pros in the literature that I've come across was always something to the effect of: not training when they were young but once they became 30+ althletes felt them loosing ground to young atheletes so they turned to strength training and reported gains that would allow them to remain at the top.

My take on all the information I've read is that strength training helps compensates for your body natural physiological changes as you age, like bone density changes, metabolism etc... and BTW, The only types of excercise that increases bone density are weight baring which eliminates Swim/Bike.

Also weight training properly is one of the best ways to burn fat. Staying lean is always important for an althlete.

I don't believe that a 20 year old AG needs to strength train much, if at all. However a 50 year old AG does.

In addition, I can't think of any literature that I've read which didn't talk about how strength training was key to an injury free training season. For this reason alone, strength training does improve SBR although the improvements are made in an indirect way. No injuries = train more = increases

@HotRunner I have read in a few books that its important for women to strength train. More so for short women, but I can't recall what reasons the authors gave.
2013-09-30 8:00 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by brigby1

You missed Shane's post.

I didn't.
2013-09-30 8:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, gearing on the two bikes is somewhat different. I'm a mechanical idiot so not sure how to clarify...It does seem in some ways that in each country I have the wrong bike for the job. My Vietnam bike (the 1.2) has a triple cassette. Great for monster hills; the only problem being, there aren't any here nor are there in most of my races. The US bike (1.5) has, I think, compact gearing. When I bought it it was a different setup but the gears had been damaged through hard use and shipping (previous owner) and I had them replaced. The new gearing is a bit better equipped for the rolling to hilly courses we usually have in the northwest, but also fast on the flats (for me). Not a triple cassette, but it was fine for my HIM, which was hilly with two very substantial climbs.

I just feel like I have a very hard time getting into a "sweet spot" on the bike where I can push a gear at a sustainable resistance/cadence to go fast. It's definitely more of an issue on the 1.2 The one breakthrough I made with it involved riding with someone close to my weight and height who's an outstanding cyclist (about 1:05-1:06 for Oly). She had a very high cadence (95-100) and I was much better able to keep up by gearing down and matching that. I've since ridden a 20 km sprint in close to 36 flat (including several rumble strips and 3 180 degree turns) with that bike. I haven't ridden the 1.5 in a flat race, so not sure what my splits would be. I do know that it doesn't feel nearly as hard to take it to 19-20 mph as when riding the 1.2

I guess I always wonder if strength is an issue as when biking, it's my legs that bother me. The minute I get above 16 mph on the 1.2, I'm working at it. I've never finished a bike leg out of breath, but my legs are burning from the get-go, either from the resistance, or high cadence, or both. I know they tell you not to push the bike leg of a HIM too hard but....my legs hurt from the first kilometer. In a sprint they feel like they're falling off; I can barely get off the bike. Somehow I usually manage to have a strong run anyway (though not in the sprint with the 36-minute split). It really feels like my legs are the limiter. In swimming, it's more running out of oxygen; in running, the overwhelming feeling that I'm going to puke, which I'm guessing involves running at a high heart rate for a sustained period (plus, in our climate, the heat). This might be why intuitively I and others tend to think strength is more a limiter on the bike than on the run. But maybe it's more a matter of efficiency with the equipment I have.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-09-30 8:06 AM

2013-09-30 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by moondawg14 Looking at this graph again... this is NOT a measure of strength vs endurance.    This is a measure of MAX short-time power compared to a longer power output.

While it is not a graph of 1RM versus FTP, it uses a proxy for strength which is 5s max power. 5s max power is highly correlated with strength since it is an anaerobic effort so it works well to compare strength to endurance. Power is simply a convenient metric to measure what the athlete is doing in different situations; strength-endurance is a continuum and when time is short, we move toward the strength end and when time is extended, endurance is emphasized. Not my dataset so I don't have the raw data but these data do indeed compare strength to endurance. Shane

Thank you for the reply and explanation.  I can see the short-term power as a stand-in for strength.    I had to google MMP, which I assume in this case means "Minute Maximum Power" and the 5s is just the "peak" from that test?

2013-09-30 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by newtriguy What can be gleaned from this plot with nearly a zero slope slope and an R2 value way down at 0.1196? Not trying to be snooty, just trying to figure out what the data being represented is supposed to mean.
That there is no correlation between strength and endurance in cyclists. Shane

With the small R2 value and such a small population I don't even think we can say that. Without knowing more about the study and data I think the only thing we can say is that this particular study shows no correlation between strength and endurance, not that there is not correlation. I wonder if anyone has done the same research with significantly more sampling.

2013-09-30 8:15 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

This.  For most people, there would be more to gain from sport specific training than lifting weights.  I don't have room in my schedule for a weight workout, and I'd love to see what a coach would recommend I drop for it.

2013-09-30 8:57 AM

User image

Champion

Thank you for the reply and explanation.  I can see the short-term power as a stand-in for strength.    I had to google MMP, which I assume in this case means "Minute Maximum Power" and the 5s is just the "peak" from that test?

MMP = mean maximal power

You can read more here: http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2011/11/mean-maximal-power-unique-co...

Shane
2013-09-30 8:58 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Originally posted by msteiner

This.  For most people, there would be more to gain from sport specific training than lifting weights.  I don't have room in my schedule for a weight workout, and I'd love to see what a coach would recommend I drop for it.

Obviously, I'm asking and looking into this for my son.  He has lots of time.  He's running cross country and swimming 6 days a week, but he doesn't work, and he's taking a break from cycling while he's building and working on his running and swimming again.  So while he's not cycling, can he get any benefit from a good weight program involving his legs?  Does that cross over at all into better cycling when he picks the bike back up around January? Will it hinder his running once track season comes around? 

It looks like I'm reading "no" on the benefit side based on the idea that strength and endurance don't intersect...... I'm just having a hard time with that idea because my own personal experience has been the opposite.....but I'm nowhere near the level that my kid is, so I have no idea if my experience applies to him.

2013-09-30 9:17 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
Lots of stuff I've read about weight training as it relates to cycling and running says it really just helps prevent injury by using the muscles that would help balance the used ones. As far as improving your times, it doesn't seem to help much outside of injury prevention.

I think sometimes trainers sell us a bill of goods that weight training is the answer to all your endurance sport problems but it doesn't seem to be the case. Weight training is fun and good for overall health.
2013-09-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: newtriguy

User image

Champion
Originally posted by newtriguy

With the small R2 value and such a small population I don't even think we can say that. Without knowing more about the study and data I think the only thing we can say is that this particular study shows no correlation between strength and endurance, not that there is not correlation. I wonder if anyone has done the same research with significantly more sampling.

These data were collected by a cycling coach for their athlete's and while it is a small n value (although many exercise physiology studies will have similar or even smaller n values with good p values), it highlights what the literature indicates in terms of maximal strength and endurance.

The small R2 value indicates that there is low correlation between strength and endurance with this group as previously stated.

Shane
2013-09-30 9:31 AM

User image

Champion

Obviously, I'm asking and looking into this for my son.  He has lots of time.  He's running cross country and swimming 6 days a week, but he doesn't work, and he's taking a break from cycling while he's building and working on his running and swimming again.  So while he's not cycling, can he get any benefit from a good weight program involving his legs?  Does that cross over at all into better cycling when he picks the bike back up around January? Will it hinder his running once track season comes around? 

It looks like I'm reading "no" on the benefit side based on the idea that strength and endurance don't intersect...... I'm just having a hard time with that idea because my own personal experience has been the opposite.....but I'm nowhere near the level that my kid is, so I have no idea if my experience applies to him.

Cross country skiing a possibility?

Anyway, a good weight program may help and could likely help him minimize cycling losses; the focus should be on high weight, low rep work as this has been what has shown to offer some improvement when it comes to endurance cycling. While unlikely to lead to any huge gains, there have been several studies that have shown some improvement over endurance cycling alone so without cycling should help mitigate losses.

Shane
2013-09-30 9:49 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Weights in cycling are typically only for the sprint velodrome events:

Here is a nice pic of Chris Hoy doing a light weights session:

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training for improving biking? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Weight training for swimming with free weights?

Started by b2run
Views: 1270 Posts: 5

2013-02-06 12:00 AM AdventureBear

Need help training/improving bike times

Started by gti123
Views: 674 Posts: 5

2012-03-26 1:40 PM MCA

Bike weight vs Total weight (rider/bike/gear)

Started by Garceau
Views: 2020 Posts: 9

2010-03-28 1:57 PM TriMyBest

New bike thoughts....bike Weight vs body weight Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 2616 Posts: 34

2006-04-27 5:02 PM ChuckyFinster

Weight training for biking

Started by ropkins
Views: 1189 Posts: 15

2004-12-08 8:02 AM Torgo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.
date : October 5, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : December 27, 2004
author : gsmacleod
comments : 1
I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!