General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Stevens, WA Tri info Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-07 9:03 PM

Subject: Lake Stevens, WA Tri info
I've been a lurker for a long time. I live on the coast of WA, and am considering doing the Dannon tri at Stevens Lake on July 25th. Has anyone done this in past years? I'm concerned about the bike course--hilly? Killer hills? ( Like the Kirkland tri) Thanks!

2004-07-08 1:51 PM
in reply to: #35957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Lake Stevens, WA Tri info
I don't know, but I'm just as interested as you! There are enough hills to choose from around these parts for sure, so hopefully they avoid them a bit. Looking at the website, http://www.dannonduathlon.com/LakeStevens.html, there is a really poor quality topo map of the race course. Maybe that will help you. I can't read it, but maybe you can!

Jasmine
2004-07-08 7:15 PM

I have not done this one, but a friend of mine has. She is in great shape, and a seasoned triathlete. She says this is a hilly course that she likes a lot -- but she likes hills. I do not know if they are significant hills, but there are hills. If there is any way, I would suggest checking out the course first. I did do the Kirkland Tri last year and found it moderately hilly -- but the bike leg is my strength and others (who later passed me in the run!) did walk up a hill or two.

Good luck.

Nancy

2004-07-08 7:59 PM
in reply to: #36198

User image

New user

Seattle, WA
I spent my single digit years in that neck of the woods, and from looking at that *terrible* course map it looks as though the course starts with winding, rolling roads along the lake. After the course turns off the lake it stays flat for a few miles then enters what used to be wooded hills for the middle third. The stretch from the double red lines is flat farmland until the city limits. All in all it looks like a fast course.
2004-07-09 7:17 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm am a real "sissy" when it come to hills. 99% of my riding is done on totally flat roads.
2004-07-10 12:54 AM
in reply to: #36442

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
I spent part of my youth (a long time ago!) in Lake Stevens. There are some hills around the race course but I can't think of any that are really serious. By serious I mean long. Some may be fairly steep but not long at all so you shouldn't have too much problem. On the plus side, it should be a really scenic course that will keep your mind off of the pain a little bit. Good luck and have fun with the race!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Stevens, WA Tri info Rss Feed