General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie Reality Check Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-27 10:34 AM

Subject: Newbie Reality Check
I need a reality check. I'm 36 years old, 6'1", 280 lbs - clearly overweight but pretty solidly built. I've been working out regularly since my son was born in November (8 months) - mostly lifting weights but also doing some light cardio in the gym - eliptical trainer, bike, treadmill. I just decided yesterday that I was going to start training for my first sprint triathlon but I need some input to help me determine if I'm crazy.

Here's some background.

Many years ago I was a pretty good athlete. I played college and men's rugby so I have a lot of experience with conditioning. I've run approximately five 10k's but they were all at least 10 years and 50 pounds ago. I was a life guard in high school and college so I had good swimming skills, but haven't done anything in the water but body surf since then. And I've always been comfortable on a bike, but again, I haven't spent any significant time on a bike in a very long time.

I ran outside yesterday for the first time in quite a while. I walked 1/2 mile to warm up, ran 1 mile without stopping, and then walked 1/2 mile to cool down. It felt good, but my legs were a little wobbly afterwards and are sore today.

That all being said, I have plenty of confidence that I can I can do this (maybe too much confidence). My question is how long should I give myself to train before I attempt my first Sprint? I'm looking at some races in October (10-12 weeks) and want to know if this is realistic or if I'm being overly abitious.

How long did it take you to train for your first race? What kind of condition were you in when you started?

Thanks for your input. Please be brutally honest. You're not going to hurt my feelings.

2006-07-27 10:40 AM
in reply to: #494828

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Newbie Reality Check

You ran a mile? Excellent. I think October would be a great time for your first tri. Oftentimes, it's hard to hold onto a dream when you don't have an event coming up.

Right now, you should probably set up a plan, giving yourself time to ease back into an active lifestyle. There's nothing worse than an injury making you sit the bench.

Oh, and welcome to BT! This is a great place to learn and get encouragement!

2006-07-27 10:50 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm getting bored of the gym and have been looking for some alternatives for getting into better shape. My inspiration to start training for a triathlon was an article in Men's Health Magazine (http://www.menshealth.com/8weekplan). It includes a training schedule of 8 weeks, but it doesn't really give a base line from which to start. Is it targeted at people who are regular endurance athletes? I don't know...it's not clear on that point. As I said in my earlier post, I'm planning on 10-12 weeks, and trying to follow the training schedule from that article.

Has anybody else read the article I'm talking about? If so, what do you think?

Edited by dhunter65 2006-07-27 10:52 AM
2006-07-27 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

I was in a situation similar to yours exactly one year ago. I was 38 years old and had been lifting weights for a couple of years. I had been doing some light, and I do mean LIGHT, cardio work on eliptical trainers and treadmills.

I was bored and looking for something to challenge me and decided to train for a sprint tri in something like 8 weeks. I could not run 2 miles without stopping. I had not swam a lap in 10+ years. I had only an ancient moutain bike to ride.

I used a training plan from a book and then found this site and sorta switched over to one of the free beginner training plans. I ended up having a great time at the race and got hooked.

Here is why you can do it:

• 10 weeks is enough time to prepare for a sprint. Check out one of the plans on this site.
  • You have a huge advantage over many beginners by having a background in swimming. Not ever swimming a lap in their life is a huge hurdle for a lot of people.
  • Your strength training will have helped your swimming. My swim stroke felt much better after lifting weights for a couple of years than it ever did when I swam in high school.
  • You have already started! You got out and ran already. Do not stop.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Bill

2006-07-27 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Cranford, NJ
I think 10 weeks is plenty of time to prepare for a sprint. Consistency is going to be key in your training. You gotta put in the miles and the meters. On a personal note get your wife's support before you start. Your extra time training will put some extra work in her lap caring for that baby, which not too many people would be too crazy about. When my first was about 6 months old my wife and I made a deal for our "free" nights. She got Monday and Wednesday and I got Tuesday and Thursday. On those nights we were free to do whatever we liked without guild or fear of animosity. We have been doing that for over 9 years and have 3 kids and it has worked out great. Lot's of luck.

Charlie
2006-07-27 1:09 PM
in reply to: #495055

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
charder - 2006-07-27 1:00 PM

I think 10 weeks is plenty of time to prepare for a sprint. Consistency is going to be key in your training. You gotta put in the miles and the meters. On a personal note get your wife's support before you start. Your extra time training will put some extra work in her lap caring for that baby, which not too many people would be too crazy about. When my first was about 6 months old my wife and I made a deal for our "free" nights. She got Monday and Wednesday and I got Tuesday and Thursday. On those nights we were free to do whatever we liked without guild or fear of animosity. We have been doing that for over 9 years and have 3 kids and it has worked out great. Lot's of luck.

Charlie

Now that is a reality check!!! excellent advice!!

2006-07-27 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Welcome to the CRAZY world of triathlon! You have the right attitude and you can definitely do this. The 10-12 weeks you have is a good amount of time provided you stay injury-free and don't get "nutty" with your training.

Don't try to break any records for your first tri. Just train regularly and rest regularly and you will be surprised how ready you are come October. The key is to be consistent and have fun!

I agree with the other post. You need your wife's support so that you don't feel guilty with training. It's a great way to get in shape and to eventually inspire your little one with a healthy lifestyle. Good luck and let us know how you do!!
2006-07-27 7:13 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
not crazy. well, maybe crazy, but so are the rest of us! welcome!

i started training for my first tri when my second daughter was 6 months old. i had never been a runner, but had mountain biked a lot and commuted by bike, and grew up swimming. i was about 30 lbs heavier than i am now. my first 5k took me 37 minutes. this year i did the same race in 27. just stick with it, and thikngs will get easier and more enjoyable.

as for being able to finish a race - my mom, age 65, and my aunt, age 60, just did a sprint. read her race story in triathlon talk: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2006-07-27 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Sure, you can do it!  October sounds like a good goal date for your first tri.

For purposes of comparison, I did my first tri in June.  In March, I could barely swim a lap and hadn't been on my bike in a few years.

2006-07-28 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
You're off to a great start, and October isn't too soon...BUT...

Go see a doctor before you make any significant changes in your lifestyle. The doc will probably give you the green light.

After that, consider some personal coaching. A lesson or two as you start swimming to keep you focused on good form. A lesson or two as you start running would be great too, so you don't inadvertently injure knees or ankles with the extra weight you are carrying right now.
2006-07-28 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Welcome to the site! My $0.02 would be to use the logs. Trust me, it'll help to keep you motivated. Inspire others training logs and others will inspire your logs, and knowing that other people are checking your training logs will keep you on the ball.

Also, there's some great training plans here for all sorts of background with all sorts of goals (i.e. sprint, oly, HIM, IM). Definitely check those out and browse the site. There's tons of great articles and features here.

Best of luck!

2006-07-28 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl

Welcome to BT and congrats on your decision to better yourself!! You can definately do it, just be sure to follow a proper training schedule and don't forget to rest when you need to. You dont have to swim at a blazing speed, or do 25 MPH on your bike, or even run the entire final leg. I recently completed my first tri and am planning my next. I went from no history of exercise and 240lbs+ in February to 215lbs triathlete 2 weeks ago.

And you are crazy!! But thats ok, so are the rest of us. I think its a prerequisite to triathlons.

2006-10-16 2:04 PM

Subject: RE: Newbie Reality Check - Follow Up
It has been about 12 weeks since I started this thread. With a lot of encouragement from all of you, I picked a training plan from BeginnerTriathlete.com (16 Week Run Oriented), modified it a bit because I only had 12 weeks, and stuck with it religiously - only missed two workouts (I missed a swim because pool was closed on labor day and I skipped a run last week because my knee was bothering me).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I just finished my first triathlon yesterday - the Richmond Sprint Triathlon! It was awesome, but a little cold to be running around outside soaking wet wearing nothing but tights.

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to do this and to those of you who share you experiences on this site. I'm hooked now and can't wait until my first race next spring.
2006-10-16 2:41 PM

Lake Villa, IL
your going to be fine, and that 280 should come down at a pretty good pace when you stick with it. keep us posted on your progress.
2006-10-16 7:34 PM
in reply to: #570136

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

dhunter65 - 2006-10-16 3:04 PM It has been about 12 weeks since I started this thread. With a lot of encouragement from all of you, I picked a training plan from BeginnerTriathlete.com (16 Week Run Oriented), modified it a bit because I only had 12 weeks, and stuck with it religiously - only missed two workouts (I missed a swim because pool was closed on labor day and I skipped a run last week because my knee was bothering me). Anyway, to make a long story short, I just finished my first triathlon yesterday - the Richmond Sprint Triathlon! It was awesome, but a little cold to be running around outside soaking wet wearing nothing but tights. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to do this and to those of you who share you experiences on this site. I'm hooked now and can't wait until my first race next spring.

Congratulations on your first triathlon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Whoo hoo!!!!!!  This web site is motivational, ain't it?  Glad to hear you are hooked like the rest of us.  LOL!

2006-10-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: #570136

Southern New Hampshire
From one Clydesdale newbie to another - congratulations on your triathlon! When I started training for my half-iron I was weighing in close to 250 and dropped 30 pounds. The weight will shed itself as you train.

Awesome job!

2006-10-17 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Congratulations and welcome to your new title....TRIATHLETE!! Yippee! WHOOP WHOOP!

This is a great place for information and training plus an incredible site for support! You did it and now you enter the world of the insane and addicted. Congratulations and good luck training throughout the winter!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie Reality Check Rss Feed