Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2013-10-10 1:21 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge
Originally posted by MSU_Brad
Originally posted by noelle1230
Originally posted by switch

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

I have been thinking more about this challenge and how it can be most successful.  I would like to encourage everyone to check in with the group each day (if possible), and to tell us what you have done that day to work on your weakness.  Some days it might be reading, some days it might be something physical or actual training, it may even just be spending time thinking about something, but tell us about how you're addressing your weakness each day.

My weakness for the first two week increment is going to be my leg injury.  I am going to be very focused on getting it healthy and, hopefully, easing back into some running. 

Excellent, I love it.  This will encourage us to do be accountable to do SOMETHING daily, even it's just gaining more info on how to improve our designated weakness.

Where's Brad???  That guy is the king of daily check-ins.

I've been contemplating...I am not 100% sure what to do here. I'm *already* focusing on running, since it is by far my biggest weakness in a race. I would like to find a way to concentrate on lessening foot pain, which would also likely help my running. Maybe I'll start Saturday with 10 minutes of dedicated stretching and/or foam rolling every day for the first two weeks.

Sounds perfect to me.  If you're around the gym on my side of town we can try to coordinate for motivation!

2013-10-10 1:59 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

I have been thinking more about this challenge and how it can be most successful.  I would like to encourage everyone to check in with the group each day (if possible), and to tell us what you have done that day to work on your weakness.  Some days it might be reading, some days it might be something physical or actual training, it may even just be spending time thinking about something, but tell us about how you're addressing your weakness each day.

My weakness for the first two week increment is going to be my leg injury.  I am going to be very focused on getting it healthy and, hopefully, easing back into some running. 

Excellent, I love it.  This will encourage us to do be accountable to do SOMETHING daily, even it's just gaining more info on how to improve our designated weakness.

I've been contemplating...I am not 100% sure what to do here. I'm *already* focusing on running, since it is by far my biggest weakness in a race. I would like to find a way to concentrate on lessening foot pain, which would also likely help my running. Maybe I'll start Saturday with 10 minutes of dedicated stretching and/or foam rolling every day for the first two weeks.

Sounds perfect to me.  If you're around the gym on my side of town we can try to coordinate for motivation!

It's looking like I'll be over there one or two days next week. If the Detroit Tigers win tonight, I'll be at the home game on Wednesday night, but I might be around Monday and/or Tuesday...not sure yet.
2013-10-10 3:11 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I did my core routine this morning. Pull-ups, planks and inverted crunches with 16 lb. I also did my abductor exercises.

My left hip flexor has been a little sore so I think I will hold off on the strength exercises for that...

I've got a couple races this weekend and one the following weekend, so I don't want to add anything new until after those.

My coworkers want me to go bouldering with them but I know with that sport you are pretty much using your muscles to failure (not to mention I haven't been in quite some time) so I may have to also wait until after my races for that, too.

Strong work Salty.  I'm excited for your races this weekend.  I'm having a vicarious running life through you :)

I commend you on the bouldering decision.  You so responsible.

2013-10-10 3:13 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

It's looking like I'll be over there one or two days next week. If the Detroit Tigers win tonight, I'll be at the home game on Wednesday night, but I might be around Monday and/or Tuesday...not sure yet.

Brad? What is this "contemplating" BS? How can you resist us?  This kinda challenge was made for a guy like you!  As you said, you're already focused on you're running, but this helps you keep it purposeful and smart (might lessen the foot pain).  IDK, your call, but we'd love to have you :)

2013-10-10 3:31 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

Brad? What is this "contemplating" BS? How can you resist us?  This kinda challenge was made for a guy like you!  As you said, you're already focused on you're running, but this helps you keep it purposeful and smart (might lessen the foot pain).  IDK, your call, but we'd love to have you

You misunderstood my BS!

I was contemplating on what my first segment of the challenge would be.
2013-10-10 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

Brad? What is this "contemplating" BS? How can you resist us?  This kinda challenge was made for a guy like you!  As you said, you're already focused on you're running, but this helps you keep it purposeful and smart (might lessen the foot pain).  IDK, your call, but we'd love to have you :)

You misunderstood my BS! I was contemplating on what my first segment of the challenge would be.

HAHAHA--Whew :)

----

I need to add on to my weakness focus.  I have to be more careful with my you're/your typing.  It really bugs me, and I'm making way to many mistakes, and the freakin 30 minute time limit on editing is killing me.   I think internet posting has made me stupid (more stupid) and careless (more careless).  :/

2013-10-10 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Despite the threat of rain, sleeping only 5 hours, stress all day with an early meeting and added emergency patients to my day...I was going to go riding the bike this afternoon despite bad weather forecasts-in the rain, cold-whatever

Rode 30 miles in 1:39ish, nice and easy and I got 'er done. Didn't even get wet.
Will sleep better tonight with no beeper...DW made some delish salmon for dinner too.
Love that girl.

2 in a row. Consistency.

I like this challenge.
In medical school, I was constantly reminded to try to make my weaknesses my strength. Excellent advice...
2013-10-10 5:55 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce Despite the threat of rain, sleeping only 5 hours, stress all day with an early meeting and added emergency patients to my day...I was going to go riding the bike this afternoon despite bad weather forecasts-in the rain, cold-whatever Rode 30 miles in 1:39ish, nice and easy and I got 'er done. Didn't even get wet. Will sleep better tonight with no beeper...DW made some delish salmon for dinner too. Love that girl. 2 in a row. Consistency. I like this challenge. In medical school, I was constantly reminded to try to make my weaknesses my strength. Excellent advice...

Niiiiice!

Hey, my partner is making us salmon, too. Lucky us!

Make weaknesses strength, eh? I'm going to have some mighty strong hip flexors/IT bands by the end of this! Smile

2013-10-10 7:57 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

I've got plenty of weaknesses, but the one currently giving me fits is ice cream. B&J Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz to be specific. The pints have been flowing through the freezer at a crazy pace. I've backed off training volume a lot this month but am still eating like I was riding 100 miles/week. Ok if I jump in with a sugar avoidance target? I'm not crazy enough to go cold turkey but am thinking 3-4 ice cream free nights a week.  That's going to be a real stretch. Oh, and my glutes are weaker than my will-power so I'll probably throw a ST goal in there as well. 

2013-10-10 9:46 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by kcarroll

I've got plenty of weaknesses, but the one currently giving me fits is ice cream. B&J Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz to be specific. The pints have been flowing through the freezer at a crazy pace. I've backed off training volume a lot this month but am still eating like I was riding 100 miles/week. Ok if I jump in with a sugar avoidance target? I'm not crazy enough to go cold turkey but am thinking 3-4 ice cream free nights a week.  That's going to be a real stretch. Oh, and my glutes are weaker than my will-power so I'll probably throw a ST goal in there as well. 

Godspeed!!
2013-10-11 7:21 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by dtoce Despite the threat of rain, sleeping only 5 hours, stress all day with an early meeting and added emergency patients to my day...I was going to go riding the bike this afternoon despite bad weather forecasts-in the rain, cold-whatever Rode 30 miles in 1:39ish, nice and easy and I got 'er done. Didn't even get wet. Will sleep better tonight with no beeper...DW made some delish salmon for dinner too. Love that girl. 2 in a row. Consistency. I like this challenge. In medical school, I was constantly reminded to try to make my weaknesses my strength. Excellent advice...

Way to get it done, Dale.

One of the great things about working the weakness is that you never run out of material :)

Another thing I like about the idea of making your weakness your strength is learning from someone who has done that.  Sometimes people with natural talent in something aren't the best teachers, as they've never had to struggle and haven't had to figure how to overcome those struggles with regards to their weakness. 

2013-10-11 7:26 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Welcome Kim!

Totally cool to jump in with sugar avoidance.  It's probably something we could all work on a bit, or re-up on :)

Glutes work is something I need to do more of too--it could certainly help my running.

2013-10-11 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome Kim!

Totally cool to jump in with sugar avoidance.  It's probably something we could all work on a bit, or re-up on

Glutes work is something I need to do more of too--it could certainly help my running.

You got that right...I never really thought of addressing diet as part of this challenge.  Awesome idea, Kim!  And welcome!

2013-10-11 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

Brad, just curious: what do you do for your WU for running?  Have you tried doing a light warm-up and foam-rolling BEFORE running?

2013-10-11 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Me, too.  I went from 3 sports to basically 1 without the appropriate drop in caloric intake.  I'm trying, but it's tough.  It just seems the appetite takes a long time to adjust to the change in training volume.

2013-10-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Me, too.  I went from 3 sports to basically 1 without the appropriate drop in caloric intake.  I'm trying, but it's tough.  It just seems the appetite takes a long time to adjust to the change in training volume.

Preach it!  And when the one sport you drop to is swimming, well, I really feel like I could eat all the time.  Why?  Why does swimming do that?  Is it the cold water?

Kim, I want you to know, that now I'm craving coffee ice cream;)

2013-10-11 11:00 AM

User image

Seattle
No STFU-ing for me today as I am racing tomorrow and Sunday! I supposed I could attempt to piggy back off of Kim's BRAVE challenge and refrain from the ice cream today Smile
2013-10-11 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

No STFU-ing for me today as I am racing tomorrow and Sunday! I supposed I could attempt to piggy back off of Kim's BRAVE challenge and refrain from the ice cream today Smile

You are resisting overtraining! Well done.
Now go crush your races!
2013-10-11 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by Asalzwed No STFU-ing for me today as I am racing tomorrow and Sunday! I supposed I could attempt to piggy back off of Kim's BRAVE challenge and refrain from the ice cream today Smile

Good luck tomorrow and Sunday.......and hope the Salmon was deelish!

2013-10-11 12:26 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed No STFU-ing for me today as I am racing tomorrow and Sunday! I supposed I could attempt to piggy back off of Kim's BRAVE challenge and refrain from the ice cream today Smile

Why thank you!

It was. This was our audience as we ate:

2013-10-11 12:54 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
Originally posted by kcarroll.

Preach it!  And when the one sport you drop to is swimming, well, I really feel like I could eat all the time.  Why?  Why does swimming do that?  Is it the cold water?

Kim, I want you to know, that now I'm craving coffee ice cream

Sorry to have planted that particular craving. It's baaaad.  I'm going to deal with the partial pint in my freezer tonight and then the weekend goal is to (1) not replace it and (2) not make any trips to the gelato shops in town.  As for swim induced hunger.....I vaguely remember what that is like but haven't put in any yardage lately.  The fishies in my masters group always hang in the sauna for a few minutes post practice to try and warm up....not sure if it actually helps though.

2013-10-11 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Why thank you!

It was. This was our audience as we ate:

Aw....too cute!

2013-10-11 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

(salty cat shit talk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
salty cat shit talk.jpg (204KB - 9 downloads)
2013-10-11 4:43 PM

User image

Seattle

You aren't far off!!!!

Actually, we gave them some fish since the little beggars were relentless. Then they puked it up on the floor and I had to clean it up. J and I were negotiating who was going to clean up and debating whether 2 piles of puke counted as one cleanup if it came from the same cat. Ah, livin' the dream!

2013-10-11 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I'd like to join please. I've been on a short break from doing crunches and planks and Its time to start back with some daily things.
-----
Name: Pam

Previous Challenge Experience: Multiple because it keeps me focused. Most recent was the Sept running challenge with several of these fine folks.

Weakness: Swim, bike, run, patience, strength, consistency, core. For the next 2 weeks, I would like to focus on stretches and mini-strength sessions. The stretches are needed just to keep me happier, healthier, and less creaky. Strength, just gotta get back to them.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  

of 53

RELATED POSTS

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVIII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35277 Posts: 1084

2008-06-03 8:15 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35189 Posts: 957

2008-05-20 8:51 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVI) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 34075 Posts: 1003

2008-05-08 9:14 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XV) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35638 Posts: 1005

2008-04-27 6:23 PM lastcall2003

The Mike Ricci July Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by vortmax
Views: 5555 Posts: 61

2006-08-02 3:35 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
It sounds like you have a very common condition that many runners and triathletes experience called patello-femoral pain syndrome. We have seen that runners with core weakness experience this.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you turn a weakness into strength? It begins with effecting a fundamental change to your triathlete self-image.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!